Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2019

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:31 pm

May no gift be too small to give, nor too simple to receive,
which is wrapped in thoughtfulness, and tied with love. ~ L.O. Baird

Are you starting to think of gift-giving more now that the weather is showing signs of change, and the calendar is just a few pages from seasons of giving? :idea: Who in your life might be so fortunate as to receive a gift of something you’ve created yourself? It's time for Grand Plans and other preparations. Can the time for rearrangement of your gift closet be far behind?

Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2019

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:20 pm

So delighted to report a map project is done. I searched the internet and all the books I could find and finally found a Mediterranean map, in Latin, so it had the place-names of Roman territories in the first century. With land areas in colors from yellowish through greens, the different shades really help to understand it. Happily, it was in public domain.

Unfortunately, it was of too large an area, so that in full it was going to be difficult to read. I cropped it to suit my needs and took that to the printer who does our church's bulletins, etc., and we worked together to get a color map large enough for our group. I won't hang it on the wall, since it can't be one of those real classroom-sized maps (wouldn't be readable), but mount it on the foamboard I have left over from last year's carolers project. I can display it on an easel or move about the room with it. He made me extras of the same in 8.5 x 11 as a bonus, so those at the rear of the class can have their own or share, and still catch on to the map.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:32 pm

I LOVE maps! We have 2 big ones framed and hanging in our hallway, one of the world and one of the United States. Each is 52 wide by 40 high. I can't count the number of times I've looked on there to understand something I'm hearing or seeing on tv.

Today I took myself to the fabric store and bought the backing and I found 2 more marine prints to include. I got the coordinating fabric for the sashes and borders. Prettiest blue I've ever seen, it has an all-over white scroll-ey pattern of hearts one has to look close to see. Nice material, has a bit of a shine to it and it's very soft. I plan to work on the pre-wash tonight.

I'm thinking quilting has to be one of the most expensive hobbies out there!

Earlier I was looking for my 5x7 envelope which contains all my quilt pictures and it was nowhere to be found. Oh my goodness. It's usually clipped to my graph book where I have all my figuring and drawing for the things I've made. Last time I had it was at the lunch with Sunny before she moved. I was showing DGD her quilt pattern and my notes...she's just recently found out I was the one who made that. Big hunt through the house and found another plastic container of quilt things I'd forgotten about. There was the envelope. Whew! Those of you who take pictures of your projects: where do you keep them? I'm thinking I need something better than that envelope.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:58 pm

I put them on the computer and eventually "take" them over to snap fish and when I'm having other photos printed I print them. In theory, I then have them 2 places: online and in hard copy. But my photos are not well stored right now - I'm not a good example of that and just have them with other photos. I'd better get busy with it since I just took photos of our antique family quilts I was airing outside.

Quiltmaking is wonderful but has some drawbacks, yes. HRH and I were just talking about this. I was telling him that someone who has a little bitty hobby, like tatting, wouldn't need a wall of supplies, and storage for completed pieces wouldn't take up so much space. But inspiration comes where it comes. If I had all the supplies for tatting dropped in my lap, and the ability of some of my mother's cousins who could do it so well, it would still be unsatisfying for me with lack of color and geometry.

I do like my flower pressing, but even in that "little bitty" hobby of, say, making bookmarks, I certainly did pick the materials that take the most tedious storage, didn't I? LOL! I'm just thinking ... .. both of these are so sentimental. :roll: Responsibility on one's shoulders for sure, in case of a stain on a quilt or a gust of wind through a doorway to blow tiny blossoms away! :?

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:30 am

What a quiet month we've had in A C and N! I've done a fair amount of stamping this month and have straightened up my area and purged a little. I have good intentions of sending three cards today - I hope I can follow through!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:04 pm

I have an off white knit dish cloth underway. One of this set is completed.
I did up 5 painted rocks the other day, drew on em with a thick shapie really
fast to pass out on errand day & at the dr. Office, left a dish cloth too, and
one at the groc. Store.

Sticker fun!
I got washi tape stickers decorated two boxes for gifting or storage.
Planners got a few stickers as I try to revamp logging stuff to include more in this new season.

I made a fabric pumpkin.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:39 pm

Nancy, how did you make a fabric pumpkin? That sounds interesting - is it a flat piece or 3-dimensional?

Twins' I'm glad you can find time for sending your cards even though it's quite busy at your house now! Good job on the organizing.

Dd just put her caroling children painting from last year into a juried exhibition that was calling for that type of art. She told me about it because, after all, it was actually a "commission" for me/us, and had a lot of my ideas and input. I tried to gently mention the calendar was marching on (smile) and suggest she doodle around with some ideas for this year.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:39 am

Pumpkin I learned watching you tube, it is demensional. Very easy, seam up the side gather top and bottom of fabric & stuff. I used paper towel roll
With some coming out the top. Gave it to h. For shop use. The directions recomended re rolled tp enclsing the top. I will do one more for me to use and stuff with plastic bags to re - use and I am deciding if I will put elastic in the top or not with this one. Make it 2x as wide as tall. I made up 3 more ready to gather stuff & seam the bottom.

I have my sewing books out for inspiration.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I looked at a few youtubes myself, then, and saw some cute pumpkins, or other holiday type fabric holders.

Love to see small projects. BookSaver will be telling us about small sewing projects soon, I'm sure.

I've been grateful for my fabric bookmarks lately, noticing that the several stiff types I make/have can be difficult with books with very thin pages, but the fabric ones will curve gently. So sometimes that's what's needed.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Last day of September and I think the last time I sewed anything was at my sewing group meeting where we did a little stitching for charity while learning about the Days for Girls international organization.

No, wait, I did start to sew a top from a new pattern -- but after I attached the neck facing, it fit so high it was choking me and I had to tear that seam out again. :(

Still looking for a small gift idea that I can sew in multiples. Worst case scenario, I will make my favorite potholder pattern. Everyone can use a new potholder at Christmas, right?

Return to “The Creative Home”