Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2019

Postby BookSaver » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:32 am

Projects I played with at sewing retreat Friday and yesterday:

1) Lined tote bag with many pockets, 2 of which have zippers, and top zipper closure. Outside fabric is navy blue ripstop nylon with a bottom contrast panel of black moleskin, lining is teal ripstop nylon, carrying straps are black webbing (so the bag is very lightweight and can be folded for storage). I started this bag at the summer retreat and it sat in my Works In Progress pile untouched since then. FINISHED! 8-)

2) Knit top in leaf pattern print cotton = purchased very long tunic top (clearance about $12) that I shortened and used the extra fabric to lengthen the sleeves and tried to fix the neckline so it wasn't so low. This was my 4th attempt at adding a stand-up collar to the neckline. FINISHED! Not as professional a job as I would have liked, but it is wearable now to the point that I can bend over with out showing everything underneath.

3) Knit top in teal with black leopard spots. I cut this out a couple years ago and I keep pulling it out because the fabric colors are so pretty, but then I keep putting it back on the pile because the fabric is both very stretchy and clingy. I think I've done a little bit on it every sewing retreat. This time I was working on the band around the scoop neckline and it was tricky but the stitching looked beautiful when I finally finished. Unfortunately, when I tried it on, it felt too tight. I need to take it back apart and cut the hole larger, and cut a longer band to go around the larger hole. I hope I still have enough of the fabric to cut the new longer strip. This project is back in the Works In Progress pile.

4) Knit top in purple print cotton. I cut this out at least a year ago. It's good quality fabric and feels very soft. Last night I had time to sew together the shoulder seams and put in most of the band around the V neckline.

I'm very happy to have finished the nylon tote bag as I will use it a lot. It's large enough to carry several sewing projects back and forth to retreats, and to carry finished projects to show at the sewing group meetings.

Ideas from other attendees that I might add to my project list:

Super simple carrier for a square or round casserole or pie dish, found a video tutorial from Crafty Gemini at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFiI5M3-At0

Simple purse organizer roll, found a link to a free pattern pdf from The Giving Flower at
https://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial ... 008/12/29/
That's a link to a Wayback Machine post and I don't have time right now to see if the original pattern designer still has a blog. Internet search showed a lot of images for roll-up organizers, though, so if this one disappears there are plenty of other links.

What I most wanted from this sewing retreat was a jump start to get back into the habit of sewing at least 1 seam per day from now through Christmas. I need to make many small Christmas gifts. I had a lot of success at the beginning of the year with the 1-seam-per-day goal so I'll be glad to get back to it.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 am

Got a chair to sand and paint.
Got a end table with a drawer to paint it is mdf got it for $2.00 make offer. I have the top done.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Booksaver, I like the sound of the projects. I'm not really not very good at those kinds of alterations.

I have lots of ideas of gifts to make but of course, I think of them toward the end of the year, so I truly need to get started way earlier next year.

The thing I made with DH for 2 GSons is now sitting in my living room. He wanted to get his big truck pulled into the shop so the code enforcement didn't come around and see it. (Not allowed to have double-wheeled trucks in residential driveways). I need to find somewhere else to stash these things.

Working on the label for the quilt now. Just finally picked a name.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:11 pm

I got the vest lining cut out last night yea!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 am

Big accomplishment today! I took my sewing machine apart, well the cover etc. to see the innards. Followed my instruction booklet and cleaned and oiled all the moving parts and lube holes. Just like the last time I did this, I got the shuttle apart but putting it back together took way longer. I can tell the needle goes up and down way smoother. Had some difficulty getting the top plate cover back on, but finally managed it. Lots of lint inside all gone now. Good for another 50 years?! :lol:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:05 pm

That is a great accomplishment, Harmony. The quilt project cannot be called "great", then, as it is even more, so I will say, sounds monumental!

Elizabeth and her partially handmade costume are amazing - double the impressiveness because she wears it with confidence and looks so nice.

Nancy, I have made a couple of vests before and really liked the projects. Have fun!

Twins' Mom, I hope you got in lots of stamping time.

BookSaver, how often do you get to wear tops or other garments you made yourself? I would think it's hard not to announce to everyone, "I made this!" I think it's terrific. I enjoyed the link to the carrier.

Moveable cardstock crafts have been happening here. Dd21 volunteered herself for Sunday School teaching with youngsters around 5-9, so I try to support by bringing them crafts sometimes. A search for helpful projects through books here and online yielded several - a happy person kicking up heels (with a brad through the tummy, lol) and on another day, an ark with a turning wheel of animal images behind a window. I didn't even think cardstock would go through our ordinary cheap printer but ds showed me that it will. Very helpful so children have something more substantial, but not breaking the bank.

Printmaking (carved) and screen printing happening otherwise by dd21 for a printmaking class.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:09 pm

I have painted one of the chairs it is dry.

Return to “The Creative Home”