Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2019

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Is anyone else amazed that November has happened? Because I'm not believing it! :lol:
The Focus Cleaning thread for maintenance actually goes up on Monday - what?

What plans are you making for holiday times and for hosting?

Twins' found time for stamping, enjoying new stamp sets and die sets
Harmony is finishing her granddaughter's quilt and a woodworking project
Nancy has been getting a vest ready to sew, and painting chairs
BookSaver sewed a tote bag to carry projects and is making knit tops
Elizabeth showed us a photo of her Halloween sewing in MO
Harriet has been making cardstock crafts for children
blessed has mentioned that she's stitching, but it's a mystery - wonder what?

Twins' Mom

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November 2019

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:19 pm

I have an SU S tampin up order to be delivered next week, so I'll have some new toys. No stamp sets or dies this time, but pretty things: design paper (Christmas theme, but deep peacock blue and coppery so I'm hoping for some Hanukkah use from it) copper foil card stock and a couple of ink pads - colors I didn't have.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:34 pm

I'm still working on the quilt. Guess what happens when life gets in the way? I did get the binding sewed on and am just about ready to hand sew it on the back. I actually like doing this, it's just the time to get organized and sit down to do it. This morning I cleaned off the DR table and brought the extra lamp out so I am just about ready to tackle it. Still have to make the label. I did make one on paper with my word program and just need to trace.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:16 pm

I am painting on a sign that says merry Christmas.
Posting while it dry.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:11 pm

I finished the quilt. I did all the hand sewing, got carried away when I made the label by making a tiny quilt square with batting and the information in one part. Appliqued it on tonight, also appliqued a couple little fish on a place I had to mend. All finished.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:55 pm

I have ben painting on a chair for the dining room it is drying now.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 pm

I have been stencling and finally got one to turn out. Got fabric prewashed and dry.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:36 pm

The cardstock Noah's Ark with windows that open was a big hit.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am

That sounds cute, Harriet!

Stamp club good as usual - she has three or four cars precut for us and we do some stamping and card assembly. Not all of her cards are my taste, so those I assembly only partly and save the elements for future use at home. The cards yesterday were all Christmas - which I don't really use, so a couple of those got saved for future use. I'll ask dfriend M if she wants one to use herself, very Christmassy. Another I'll send to my dcousin J. Trying to stay closer to her.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

I used my new tote bag to haul stuff to my sewing group meeting Saturday and it worked great. I love that because it is made of ripstop nylon, the bag itself is extremely lightweight. I have a lot more of the nylon so I am tempted to make another bag. I'll need to buy more webbing for handles.

Friday morning I cut out a set of potholders from scraps of fabric a sewing friend gave me. The fabric is a green and white retro kitchen print with black cats. I don't usually decorate with greens, but my kitchen is neutral colors so these will be cute with my Christmas kitchen towels. I wanted to sew them Friday night to be able to show them at Saturday's sewing group meeting, but I ended up having to choose between sewing and sleep. I chose to get enough sleep before the big meeting that made me leave the house super early Saturday morning.

I'll try to finish the potholders tonight so I can move back to other Works In Progress.

I think I've decided what to do for Christmas gifts for the sewing group board members. I had considered making each of them a set of potholders since I love the pattern and everyone can use potholders, right? Unfortunately, now that I've started a set for myself, I'm reminded of how long they really take to sew. I'm not piecing the tops but I am sewing parallel lines to hold the top, InsulBrite batting, and lining all together. It's easy but it takes a lot of time -- relative to how little time remains available for sewing between now and the next meeting on December 14th.

Instead of sewing anything for them, I'm going to crochet nylon net dish scrubbies. I don't think anyone else in the group makes them. That's a small project I can accomplish with little bits of time here and there, including riding in the car while DH is driving. If I do at least 2 per person, that will be a minimum of 12, plus extras for stocking stuffers for other people. Yes, I can manage that.

Return to “The Creative Home”