Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2019

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December 2019

Postby BookSaver » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 am

Yesterday at my sewing group meeting we did a couple hands-on projects.

The first was binder clip pen holders like these
https://www.wendaful.com/2017/03/diy-ma ... op-holder/
which is only using glue, not sewing.

The other was a small drawstring gift bag with a new-to-me way of sewing the place where the ribbon threads through, which automatically forms a ruffle around the top. I'm trying to find a tutorial or video online and I'll drop it in here when I find it.

I didn't have time at the meeting to finish the gift bag I was sewing, but I'll do it tonight. Then I'll be able to use it right away to hold the cloth shopping bag I made for my coworker. I have a box of fancy chocolates to go with it and that gift will be ready for the staff Christmas party, whenever that happens.
Here is the video link for how to sew that shopping bag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvYgHRFNFYQ&t=199s

I gave away the crocheted scrubbies I made to the sewing group board members. One member didn't go out to lunch with us so I guess that will make hers a New Year's gift instead of for Christmas, right? :)

I posted before that I was trying a new pattern for a different style of dish scrubber, using 6" wide soft tulle instead of the 1.75" wide stiff netting that the other style takes. Here is the video link for the new style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiwV-E ... e=youtu.be

The tulle scrubbies are very quick and easy to crochet and they turn out pretty. The only feature that I'm not sure about is that the pattern has you make the scrubber double thick. The one I've been testing is very nice to use, but having the double thickness means that it holds a LOT of water and doesn't really dry between uses. I'm going to try one that is only a single circle, to see if it scrubs as well even if it won't be quite as pretty.

(The little gifts were 1 each of the new style and the old favorites. My friends will let me know which one they like better.)

Oh, and the rolls of tulle cost $4.99 per roll at the local JoAnn's but I found them online first 8 for $12.84, and then 20 for $19.99 with free shipping.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:12 am

Bookie, I bought a roll of tulle at Amazon very affordably when I was trying for a ruffle skirt for Muffin for Halloween. Unfortunately, i think I overshot the target and it was too long for her and she wouldn't move when it was on. We'll see about retrofitting it next year maybe.

Yesterday we forgot to take the card to the wedding. I was particularly proud of it because it uses a festive Christmassy card stock and yet is a wedding card. Anyway, the bride will be at the office Holiday dinner tomorrow night and we'll take it then.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:25 pm

I have painted the first coat on the side table for the rec room. Done!
Dgd will be hanging out on Cmas break and I need to get some things lined out for crafting with her and cooking.
Made a dish cloth I have started another one..
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Kids loved their homemade presents this year. DGD was over the moon with her quilt and pillow and curled up with it and went to sleep Christmas night. Boys loved their corn hole game, that was a hit for sure. Everyone got the humor of the "gold bars" and more importantly DH loved giving something he made.
Last edited by Harmony on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:16 am

Harmony, and......it the dh busy making the gifts too! Win all around!

I've enjoyed stamping this holiday season - I made a lot of cards, even Christmas cards.

Whoops, I need to make a card for the baby girl for the naming and the "Sip and see" tomorrow!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “The Creative Home”