Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2020

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2020

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 pm

When we're designing or planning a new project to paint, weave, scrap, knit, sculpt, crochet, sew or write, what fun we have to look forward to!

There's also so much satisfaction to be found in going back to an UnFinished Object and completing it to enjoy.

When we can balance our creativity with keeping up with our work (so that there's no guilt, no worry that we "should" be doing something else) we can have the best of both worlds - a calm, well-ordered home AND the chance to create things of beauty to place within it! That's a double blessing to strive for!

Welcome, and please let us know about the project you have at hand, compliments received, struggles to balance work and play, and your creative direction!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February 2020

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:54 pm

I knit a few rows , and did some sketching doodling.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:38 am

I loved the beginning so much that I copied your post d harriet and put it in my files. Inspirational for me to continue working! thank you d harriet

good for you d nancy!!!

hello all. today is the first day back to visiting with d aunt. I have been completely off any responsibility and it has been wonderful!!!
I started feeling like myself again.

wishing you all a wonderful day. I will be heading back around 5 as we are supposed to have rain and ice tonight.
have a wonderful day.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 am

I got to stamp yesterday and felt productive and creative!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:03 pm

I have finished 4 ombre blue dish clothes and one hot pad for my kitchen.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:01 pm

It's the end of the month, and I don't think I did ANY sewing in February. :(

However, I did buy a new pattern for a little shopping bag that folds up to store in its own pocket. I'm sure that I could have drafted the pattern from online videos, but I decided that for less than $10, it was worth saving my time and supporting an independent pattern maker to buy the full-size printed pattern.

Spring sewing retreat is coming up at the end of March, and the shopping bag(s) will be one of the projects I'll take there if I don't have time to make some before then. I love the bags I've made in the past with cotton print fabrics because they are sturdy, attractive, and easy to wash. However, they take up a fair amount of room in my car between shopping trips. If I use ripstop nylon fabric (already in my stash) for this new pattern, the bags will be small enough to store several in my glove box.

Also planned for the March retreat will be fleece cat mats like I've done before. I tried to say no but I failed because I cannot say no to needy cats. :lol: The mats are super easy to sew and I'll be able to chat while running them through my machine, so that will be fun.

I thought up a new creative project yesterday at work. I'm going to try to design some character puppets and props for the library for summer performances. I found a little picture book that is almost all dialog between 2 characters, so it's a ready-made script. I've asked if we can get other books by the same author, hoping they are written in the same style so I can do a series of puppet shows based on read-aloud books. I admit that I know absolutely nothing about puppets, so this will be a leap of faith for me!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:42 pm

It's reassuring to think of you making "comforts" again for bewildered kitties, BookSaver.

I made a "scroll" for the Sunday School class and children's message. I stuffed two leftover rolls from paper towels with another roll each (cut along the length once so they would insert) plus packing material inside to make them sturdier. Then hot-glued cardboard circles on each of the four ends that are about a quarter-inch larger all around. Used a width of a couple feet of kraft paper cut to the paper-towel-roll height for "parchment" that the children could wrap around those and tape in place, then tape a plain printed sheet of scripture inside. They had fun I think.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:49 pm

Harriet I love the scroll idea!

I am excited to say I have some dish clothes and a hot pad set aside for gifting later.
Got more one hot pad in shades of blue teal & green for my kitchen working on one more in this set.
I have a white dish cloth complete for "show n tell" in my knitting bag.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:04 am

Nancy's mention of dish cloths reminded me that the past couple of weeks I've been crocheting those in tulip stitch. The knitted ones from DMIL have been in use for several years and are starting to fall apart so I need replacements. I like the feel of the knitted ones better, but I don't have time right now to figure out knitting. I've been crocheting since I was little. That means I don't have to concentrate on those stitches, especially with nice cotton yarn.

Return to “The Creative Home”