Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2020

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2020

Postby Harriet » Fri May 01, 2020 3:15 pm

April sheltering seemed to have themes of rediscovery (of unfinished fabric objects) and thoughtfulness. Not a surprise in a month of concern for the well-being of others and staying home during a kinda profound time.

Harmony began cross-stitching on a rediscovered housing project
DeeClutter began crocheting on a rediscovered ripple afghan project
BookSaver sewed up 45 mats for displaced and homeless pets
Twins' Mom thoughtfully sent some of her handmade greeting cards
Harriet gave up space to the other artist sheltering with her
blessed has set her knitting aside until some household projects are complete
Missing Nancy, whom we hope will be back to tell us about her creativity soon

May is uncharted (get it, cross-stitchers? a little pun. very little.). We don't know whether we might as well call this month a "sheltering" one, or whether perhaps that won't seem the definition by end-of-month at all. But no matter what, creativity will buoy our spirits! Let us know what fun you are having with yours.

CathyS

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2020

Postby CathyS » Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 am

I need to know how any of the cross stitchers/embroiderers here store their stash.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 14, 2020 11:23 pm

I'd like to know how YOU store yours! I have a piece of poster board with holes punched along both sides and the holes numbered with all the numbers of what's needed for my picture. The floss is looped through the appropriate holes, but it gets all tangled together if I'm not careful. Certainly not a good system and I don't recommend it.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri May 15, 2020 8:50 am

When I did counted cross stitch, I wound my floss onto small plastic bobbins and labeled each by number. They were filed numerically in a flat box with sections. I don't remember if I let dd have them for crafts or just sent to the Goodwill finally when I hadn't touched in years and years. The card was similar to this: https://www.michaels.com/dmc-cardboard- ... K5EALw_wcB and the box was similar to this one (although I think this is nicer with the labels and all!) https://www.wish.com/product/5d5f5656f8 ... &share=web

Back then I also had a printed small folded card - I think it came from one of the stores? and I checked off on it what colors I had and kept it in my purse when I needed a project. Then I could consult and see if I needed that color before I bought new.

I don't think my eyes are good enough for counted cross stitch anymore - at least not the way I used to do it.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat May 16, 2020 5:15 pm

I delivered 72 cat mats to the animal shelter volunteer on Wednesday. She gave me more fabric to cut and sew, but I'm setting those aside for a couple of months to do a few other projects for myself.

This weekend I want to sew those ripstop nylon shopping bags that store inside their own small attached pocket. Pattern from Linda MacPhee Workshop in Alberta, Canada.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 am

For your amusement, this is a mask I entered in the governor's statewide mask contest:
Mask.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am

I love it Elizabeth! (Almost) makes me want to get my sewing machine out, like I need another hobby!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm

You look like a Geni! Very pretty.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 pm

dd21 says you look "like a hot belly-dancer" (she had no idea you dance). Both of us like the colors and fringe! Reminds me of my bathing suit - it may have a sensible grip on me underneath it all, but the style is all in the skirt.

I think that's an imaginative contest idea to relieve some tension and seriousness. This from someone who saw at least 100 people today and not a single full face (at the eye, ear, etc. doctors' offices).

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri May 22, 2020 12:04 pm

I've been outside helping photograph dd21's latest batch of sculpted pendants to support the consignment art gallery that's in the town where she has her internship. This time they each encase stones or quartz crystals which are more of a challenge because of the way light can catch (or ignore) an iridescent stone.

The colors are generally teal with black and silver, but a few have colors to match a color in a stone. The last thing they needed was a busy background, and brick or burlap were good backgrounds individually. I chose an ecru foliage fabric as the grouping photo background for just a little interest without taking away from the pendants. Her serious camera does a good job but we were surprised that a few of the "keepers" were taken with a phone.

Return to “The Creative Home”