Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2020

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2020

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 pm

Here we are at the first of August, and for a lot of us, extremes of temperature suggest that we go inside! It's a sign of the seasons that we find ourselves looking for some creativity indoors. It's also not a surprise, and a sign of the times, that a lot of the creativity around the village includes mask-making these days.

Booksaver organized a mini sewing retreat where she made masks, shopping bags and cat mats
Harmony, who has already made several masks too, made another
Nancy's been knitting, making a granny square scrapagan, and planning projects with her dgd
Sunny is enjoying a diamond painting project her son gave her, along with lighted magnifying glass
Harriet made 2 child-size masks with ties for dgs who can't wear loops at the ears
Twins' Mom came in to encourage
Lynlee came in to encourage and chat about the fit of masks

Around the village, we hear of creative projects from Kathryn, Cathy and Elizabeth. (and possibly the most important person)

What practical or just-plain-fun projects are you doing in August?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2020

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 pm

This month I am using a travelers note book putting some thoughts and ideas in it and adding some sketching for fun!
Getting frustrated at the various sized of papers and pre made incerts. I cannot believe how many sizes that
note books come in and how hard it is to find them. A challenge to make them sigh.

I have done just a tiny bit of knitting.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:11 am

Purchased mechanical pencils for many uses. Also sketchbook, mainly for dd's use, although she is disappointed spiral-bound ones are more difficult to find now.

She and I went through fabrics to consider for masks. She is less concerned about the seam and not worried it will look strange or lop-sided to have larger prints and graphics. I'm not sure if this is because she's kinda inexperienced or because she's more adventurous. I do think she's way more extravagant with suggesting my time be spent on ideas I'm not sure of, lol.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Until now, I've resisted making a container/"basket" just for mask projects, probably because I didn't want to admit that this was as long-term a world situation as it obviously is. Anyway, with dd21's fabric suggestions added to the mix and an adult mask pattern added (similar look to the child's), I started a rubber maid or steri light type box.

I do have clever ideas, too, but in the case of any extra seam at all, that might be less protective, so probably not headed there. It's not like masks can be an anything-goes project. They have to be a barrier, first and foremost.

Dd will "attend" only one of her four classes this coming semester, although they may be staggered, and art students might not even see many classmates. They will have schedules to use certain equipment that is required, or else they wouldn't even be going then. To me, it would be at least a little happy if she had masks that reflected some personal creativity as she finally gets to enter the School of Art and Architecture buildings again. We'll see.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:49 am

I knit up a dish cloth last week.
I am painting again now.
Working on dresser # 2 this weekend.
I have enough dressers to keep me busy for a while! LOL!

I have been drawing a bit too, mostly in the Travel ers Note book. It is a slim not my fav. But came
in the wider one for church notes.I got at the W store. I sirt of wanted a leather one but thy can
smell wierd so h ave been reluctant to get one plus they are spendy.

I added to my note book "collection" this month.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:13 pm

some handy inspiration of creative king.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-29/ ... g/12598572

I'm still taunting myself to get creative.
Re doing the living skills thing atm.
Yes still to do the mask building.
The zones they are 'recommended' in places you can't distance are edging closer.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:07 pm

I have been doing a bit of knitting that is about all for needlework .

Return to “The Creative Home”