Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2020

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2020

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:51 pm

My goodness, that cake looks like great fun for the children, Kathryn. Glad the steady transport of the fuel rocket didn't fail you.

sew in an open cotton casing...

yes, that is my best thought, too. I am experimenting with cannibalizing disposable masks, either completely removing the wire or keeping some of the soft perforated surround.

Harmony, I need 8.5 inches to make each circle ear loop from the store-bought soft white elastic ddil brought me. So as I consider the 6-inch ear loops of the disposables, which as dd22 says are definitely more comfortable, I realize I'd need both sides from the disposable to make one ear loop. So a little more trouble plus not as easy to hide the joins. (or tack each end to corners of mask instead of having a full circle) I'm thinking.

Nancy, it won't be long until hat weather, so you'll appreciate having that for you or dgd.

Didn't BookSaver make some hats one winter?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:28 pm

I have been working on learn or relearning a crochet shawl pattern with some scrap yarn.
It is coming along had to watch some instruction on you tube.

Re started a shawl again bc it was too narrow. I got out my pattern books and found info I needed yea!

I finished up the shrug I was working on last week.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:05 pm

I finished a couple of hot pads to go with dish cloths in beige.
A red white and green hot pad one of two done, I have white dish clothes made up already to with go with them.

The crocheted cape is coming along nicely. I am using mostly stash yarns for this one.
I have a ice blue shawl started but put aside to work on red white and green project a prayer shawl for holiday knitting..

I have been draging out my needles yarn and patterns, to find needed supplies for my projects.
I have been sorting organizing them and am working on getting that stuff out of the living room.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:42 pm

OMM - I am thinking and re - thinking kniitting projects. Supplies needed for these.
My red white and green shawl or sweater poncho will possibly take too long.
I am considering sox needed to get needles so I could do two at a time.
I had to wind off jumbo big skiens in to smaller ones so I could knit on two sox at the same time.
I could knit a Cmas stocking for pratice and you only need one!
I learned the sox need to have the same color of accent solid on the top, toe & heel to match a multi color main part of sox.
I am thinking tube sox will fit various sizes for gifts even though I can do heel & toe sox.
I have not been very good at getting clothing to fit, sox as well.
I am thinking the spare room might be a yarn room! Not kidding.

Nearly done with the cape to the last color and last few rows.
Doing yarn projects has given me time to think and process all that has happened this year,
It was needed and has helped. I call this cozy knitting.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 am

Harriet wrote:I am experimenting with cannibalizing disposable masks, either completely removing the wire or keeping some of the soft perforated surround.

I kept the perforated surround. I'm pulling it out each wash, anyway. But mine are only backup, we mostly use the coated plant wire for nose pieces.

I'll put in another plug for adding a 'pad' of flannel along the top of the mask to stop exhaled air from going up and fogging glasses. The flannel provides both a physical barrier and absorbs the moisture better than my lining material (cotton/poly blend.) I figured this myself after using a folded-up tissue just pressure held in place (saw a YouTube video of that hack for keeping glasses clear.) I've retrofitted all my masks to include the flannel.

Dd made her first masks out of flannel receiving blankets and they fit really well and have no fogging issues either. Plus the patterns are cute. Dgs and dsil have matching masks and the fit is great for both of them. Dgs is happy in his and we can understand him when he talks which is a BIG bonus. Not that he wears it that often but masks are needed here for outside activities where 6' can't be maintained (i.e. crowded parking lot on the way to pick apples.)

I really need to sew some more masks just because my favourites get used more often and I don't want them to wear out. I want to retry doing one in denim. DC has my first two attempt at those (they were too small for me.)

We put two tiny, clear, Command Hooks on the inside of our door and hang our current masks on those. That way we see them before we leave (apparently having them 4' away from the door was too far away!) And, if we forget them, we can just unlock the door and put our hand around to grab the mask. There's a mask wearing sign at the elevator and we are still forgetting from time to time so having them closer gives us a fighting chance to get from the elevator back to the apartment, open the door, grab a mask, lock the door, run back to the elevator before the elevator arrives.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:58 am

I spent Friday & Saturday sewing with friends.
I had already cut out my projects.
Completed 94 fleece cat mats.
Must contact the cat shelter volunteer coordinator to come pick them up (hopefully this week) so I can have my car trunk empty again. I do not want to haul them into the house and back out again.

Next on the machine will be finishing 2 new masks for myself to wear to work. I'm wearing a mask every day, and I don't have enough cloth ones because some of the styles I made are ok for a quick run into a store but not comfortable to wear for several hours. I bought a package of single-use masks but who knows if I'll be able to find another package in the stores when these are gone.

Other projects with high priority:

2 bags full of fleece baby sleep sacks that I cut out autumn 2019 before I was told that the agency didn't need them right then. I am sure they need them by now because so many people lost so much in the August derecho. If the agency doesn't need them for their own daycare room, they can give them away.

Christmas gifts = shopping bags made from ripstop nylon. Several are cut out already and I must sew 1 by Thursday to give to a friend who is leaving to spend the winter in Texas.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 am

I came across some flannel when I was cleaning in the sewong zone. I have been thinking I want another vest.

I have been knitting, and I finding numerous wrong ways to not do soxs, part of my learning curve. :roll:

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:16 am

I kind of have a desire to buy a decent sewing machine and sew masks that fit. We'll be using them for a long time and the ones that don't fit right just annoy me. Bookie, it's always good to see you!

I'm also wanting to get upstairs and stamp a bit these days. Every time I see Nancy post here, it's a reminder that I have stamping things to play with!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 am

I did a lot of ripping out soxs got needles that did not get me the right guage.
But had some here for that but only can do one sox at a time. Oh well.
I am calling this my "sox learning phase."

Have you hear of fingerless gloves?
Well I have a toeless sox.

Return to “The Creative Home”