Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2020

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2020

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Happy October!

Are you "gearing up" for an upcoming season of more creativity? Gifting, or decor, maybe sending handmade greetings, etc., could be on the radar.

What do you need to "gear up"? How well prepared are the equipment and tools you'll be needing? From the sophisticated ones like machines to the simplest scissors, paintbrush or the most traditional like spinning wheels, they'll all be more fun and forgiving if they're ready before we suddenly sit down, expecting to enjoy them.

What do you attend to, in order to make smooth sailing for your creativity? What will you check to make sure you're "good to go"?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2020

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Brushing up on knitting learning some different techniques how to rip out boo's differently.
It started out as a prayer shawl.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:00 am

The middle finger of my right hand was, unfortunately, not removed fast enough from under the sewing machine's side screw and it came down without enough space for the finger! I have a "blood blister" - small - at the bottom edge of the nail, top edge of the skin.

Other than getting my hands out of the way ( :roll: ), I try to keep "geared up" by putting items away at the same place each time, so that they are at hand. Seam rippers are in the tiny drawer (if you can even call the bitsy space that) of my small sewing machine table. The top, wide drawer of the large desk that I use for cutting has all scissors and rotary supplies.

Of course changing thread is a detour - always is. But a storage box with individual cubbies big enough for thread and bobbins helps. I think the one I use is also sold for small fishing gear.

More masks are being finished here. Dd wore a paisley one today, which she likes because it looks "retro 60s". I'd done the extra top-stiching on that one, so far so good. Dd wants me to try next the idea of inserting a nose crimper into the tops. I sort of resist this because dd40 reminds me how often masks should really be washed, and I doubt they can last long if metal stayed inside. Thinking. Do I really see myself making some little hand-sewn buttonhole for each mask to have a substantial place for a metal insert to go in and out? A tiny sleeve?

She also wants me to try the elastic from disposable masks because she says it is the softest to the ears. I assume it would last as long as the packaged product I have, which looks the same but is thicker?

HRH sent me this info, which is from a study done in July, actually, so ya'll probably already know it:

According to research from Florida Atlantic University, scientists put four common variations of face coverings -- a bandana, a handkerchief mask, an over-the-counter cone style mask and a two-layer quilting cotton mask -- under tests to see which ones blocked droplets. The quilting cotton masks turned out to be the covering that blocked the most droplets, according to the study.

When the mannequin's face was covered by a bandana, droplets traveled more than three feet, according to the study. The handkerchief covering made droplets travel more than a foot away from the mannequin's mouth while the cone-shaped mask allowed particles to travel eight inches away from the mouth, researchers said.

The quilting cotton mask allowed droplets to travel two-and-a-half inches from the mannequin's mouth, the study said.

The scientists said particles traveled eight feet from the mannequin's mouth when it had no face covering.

He saw the word, "quilting", and wanted me to see it. I don't know what cone-shaped mask they are talking about - he believes they mean the kind sold at home improvement store check-out aisles for lawn-mowing (?) and says he would have bet on them, so he was impressed with quilting cotton, lol.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:26 am

I wear quilting cotton masks.

Have got the shawl 75% done now.
Got to the ribbing one of two done yea!
Not sure if I will put a collar on this or not yet.
If I will see if it fits me or dgd.
I am going to have one lg. skien left over so may do a hat, as well.
Not sure what else.

I am thinking of doing another one of these shawls in a bit wider in width,
I have the color picked out hoping I can find that again now. If now
might go with team colors.

I have given up some foot ball to watch knitting vids. to brush up on my knitting skills,
I got out my knitting books as well.
Hoping to get some techniques down.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:28 pm

Main part of the shawl aka shoulder wrap is done plus 9" of ribbing is on the sleeves. They need stitched together.
Next is a collar that is turning into a hood bc I have extra yarn. Smile.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:54 pm

Harriet:

The Jessie mask gives the best 'breathing room' with the most coverage.

I use shoe laces cut in half for the ties. They are complicatedly tied so there's an ear loop and the tail can also be used to tie the mask on. Dh's I didn't cut (his are still Rev. 1 of my efforts) and so he loops that over his head and hangs it around his neck (or swings it over and tucks it into his shirt pocket) when he doesn't need it on.

I've done two with elastic and like them.

For nose pinchers I sew in an open cotton casing on the inside of the mask and put in plastic coated wire used for holding up garden plants. It is is stiff enough to hold well, soft enough on the nose. I take them out each time the mask is laundered.

https://media.rainpos.com/220/jessemask.pdf

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:19 pm

I said I'd post pictures of dgs' cake.

It had to be assembled at his house (and the drive over, holding the fuel rocket was awfully stressful because the highway was backed up so dh picked a regular road which mean dozens of full stops and starts at lights, each of which threatened to topple the rocket.)

He was required to stay upstairs until that was done and then came down for the reveal. He was really pleased. I said, "We thought you might like a space-themed birthday." He said, "You were right." He liked the galaxy napkins too.

Constructed of tomato paste (not eaten!), rice krispy squares, white cake. Five batches of butter cream icing. Three of which were scraped off the fuel rocket after (that's $7 of ingredients into the garbage) because it was too sweet and it was turning the rice krispy squares mushy. He had asked for white, then changed it to carrot, then changed back to white "but only if you haven't already bought the ingredients for the carrot cake." (I had but made up our family white cake recipe which both dh and dd love, plus made up a carrot cake which is now frozen in 2 serving slices and we will be enjoying until March. Plus I have over half the white cake in the freezer too.)

P_20200927_211657.jpg

P_20201001_210819.jpg

IMG_20201001_210059_01.jpg

P_20201003_105002.jpg

P_20201003_144955.jpg

P_20201003_174245.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:49 pm

Cute cake, Kathryn! That looks like a lot of work.

The mask I made from the pattern Harriet posted fits better than the others, but it's hotter on my face than the pleated ones I made. Thinner elastic I used is more comfortable than the wider elastic I also tried. The elastic on those disposable ones seems to be rounded without sharper straight edges and I've thought that would be more comfortable. I'm using 2 layers of quilt cotton too.

Oh, I've read that it's possible to use bread package twisties for nose contours, but I bet they wouldn't last long. I also read about using pipe cleaners just top stitched on (inside or outside ??). The dust masks DH has in the shop have little strips of metal on the top, but they're not meant to be washed. They're very flexible. I like the channel idea.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 am

Yea for that great build on the cake K in C.

I finished the shrug except a closure might use my N pin.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:36 am

Kathryn, so glad you were able to be with dgs for his birthday. Cake is wonderful!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “The Creative Home”