Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2021

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2021

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:51 am

What does your creative ꧁ღ ⚡ ღ꧂ spark show you for April?

Is it shining brightly onto a new idea, or lighting the path of your long-time, much-loved projects?

Do tell!

Sunny

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2021

Postby Sunny » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:04 pm

I have several UFOs and planned projects, but this is the cross stitch I've been working on since the end of January. I think it is about half done now. It is called Paris Cafe Scene. https://www.amazon.com/Stamped-Stitch-E ... ZM8Y9W88SH

I think when finished I will put it into a light weight frame and hang it on my bedroom door in place of the winter wreath that is there now.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:08 pm

Sunny that is awesome!

I got planner discs and have been setting those up.
Got knitting needles circular for use later.
Skipped knitting group today I do not think they had it as the main gal had her 2nd cv-19 vaccine this week.
I knit a few rows on dish a cloth.
Need to do up hot pads.

I am doing some knitting I have four points done on the current dish cloth. Done.
Started a hot pad.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Sunny, that is really beautiful. I have done more creative stuff this past month than I've done in a few years. That quilted pad I finished for the top of the hope chest turned out better than I thought. The elastic on the corners holds it on quite nicely. Only thing I learned not to do is when I quilted the top and bound it, somehow that shrunk it up both directions about 1 inch. So if I ever make one again that has to be a specific size, add another inch! I'm painting that bookcase now and trying to decide what do I want to put back in there. It won't have a cover over it any more so I don't want it to look cluttered... need to think of this. A cardboard box full of water bottles isn't going to cut it I don't think. And my counted crosstitch project on a tray isn't going to look very nice on the top either.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 pm

Harmony, it is true that quilting a cloth will slightly lessen the size, just because it becomes 3 dimensional. I've never had real trouble because of it, but can see it sometimes. I guess the larger the piece, even though the more likely to get smaller, the less likely to make a particular difference because there's nothing to "fit" to. So you don't notice on quilts. On pillows, it can be a little mind-bending to have a top come out slightly smaller. And I swear I've even finished a pot-holder and wondered about it turning out small, but couldn't prove it, lol.

Sunny, I don't have to wonder whether you are having fun! That's so pretty.

Nancy, do you like circular needles as well as regular?

My organizing is going well. I've switched projects around in container boxes (like rubber maid) so they better fit. A few I hadn't acknowledged had grown and needed a larger container.

Dd is amazed to see some projects closer to finished than thought. (I am, too.)

I have one magazine misplaced, with an article/photos that was the inspiration for one project. I'm just so convinced, though, that I would never have let that get away. It's just going to be in the wrong container somewhere, so I'll find it.

Can't believe it, just typing that to ya'll :idea: and I had a thought that maybe it didn't get into the box and was with books the size of magazines! TaDa! So, since now I've found the quilter's name (Chris Gilman) and quilt's name (Shoebox Quilt) to give credit and find it, I can just show you on the net. The idea of this project is that over time you save up orphan blocks that never quite find their place, and someday you have enough, that even though they are so varied, somehow it works. She (?) says "My Little Scottish Heart demands" they be saved for a better fate. I understand that!

There's another inspiration photo like it, tucked in from another mag but I can't find that quilter on the net to show. It's all farm/plaid but just as varied.

So I'm still in that "over time" phase Gilman talks about, but you'd be surprised how many I've gathered. Well, no, you know me so you wouldn't be surprised. :|

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:41 pm

I love circular needles way more than doubles! They take up less space, stay together for most things. There is a learning curve but I have
been using these for a while just had to decide to break down and get them in wood, then had to wait for the right size to be in stock in the right
length, I got one pair that was too short, I forgot to check the length. [Rolling my eyes.]

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:21 am

Harriet, I didn't think I'd like the look of a quilt like that, all random squares, but that sampler quilt in the picture is really beautiful. My eyes went everywhere looking at all the different things on there. I gotta say that's the nicest page of quilts I've ever seen and I had to go all the way down looking at everything. Wow. I better not look at anything else. I can't take on anything more until I get the house the way I want it, and there's a lot of work to do in here.

Sunny sent me a quilt block she made. It's 4 blocks each about 3 1/2" and each of those is made of 5 pieces, and a 2" strip around that and it's bound with multicolored pieces she sewed together. She made a label and even that is bound too and she has it quilted with variegated thread and every stitch and seam is absolutely perfect. She's a much more precise quilter than I am. I wish I could share a picture.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:27 pm

This is how dense I am about P. I didn't even know that you could go to the bottom of that page with just the photo and find the link to the poster's whole P page. Good grief. I had to avert my eyes, too, Harmony! Too much input!

But yes, the viewer's eyes going on a path around a quilt, finding a place to rest and notice, then moving again because you see something else - that's a wonderful goal, I think, for a quiltmaker.

Sunny, do you ever make ornaments? (meaning like tree) tiny blocks are so fun.

"I can't take on anything more until ... .." Obviously, this is me right now. I have to exist somewhere before I can actually put two and two together on even what I will work on next.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:27 pm

Sunny, do you ever make ornaments? (meaning like tree) tiny blocks are so fun.

Harriet, the thought has crossed my mind a few times. I've seen lots of examples on Pinterest. It would be a challenge, but I would like to try some of the easier blocks sometime. I have four projects started, two waiting to begin and ideas for a couple of more things I would like to try. Of course, that doesn't mean I wouldn't push something ahead of everything just to try it! ;)

Thanks Nancy!
Last edited by Sunny on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:54 am

I have finished a hot pad this week.
I did a bit of paper crafting.

Return to “The Creative Home”