Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2021

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2021

Postby Harriet » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:07 pm

The book, Make Time for Creativity was in the new acquisitions section of our library. It's actually a small guide, with "think-about-this" type prompts and lots of blank pages to write in one's own thoughts. But it also has quotes from creative artists of various kinds.

A lot of what happens in the world doesn't make sense on either a logical or narrative level, and making art helps me investigate and reflect this, because art is flexible enough to accommodate the fundamental psychosis of the everyday. In this way, I can attempt to understand. - Elaine Kahn

Creativity has been my constant and stabilizing force in my life, and I feel really grateful for that. I think at times it is the thing that centers me. - Emma Kohlmann

When I start to work on a project I get a crystal-clear vision of precisely what the final product will look like. I chase it down. Then, the more realized the idea becomes, the more I realize I had no idea what it would actually be like. Each time this happens I'm freshly shocked to discover that I had just been hoodwinking myself all along to trick an idea out of my head. I punch my head, appalled by the shameless betrayal of my own trust. Then I sit down to work with whatever is now, thank God, in front of me. Repeat. - Vernon Chatman

:D

Although the "book" is mostly blank pages and quotes, I did find a few good prompts to make me think.

What if you tried a completely different time of day to give to creativity? (... .. first thing in the morning?)
What if you started on a project that you've been putting off because there was no time, and set an alarm for 45 minutes?
(for instance, would it kill you to have to leave it or could you at least have made a start? Maybe your type of creativity just won't work this way, but maybe it will.)
Can you describe your ideal workspace? Just describing it might help you see ways to come closer to your needs. What are 3 rules for your creative space?

The main compiler/author explains that we need to know the difference between a "goal" and an "intention".

A goal is something you hope to achieve . It's external to yourself; a kind of mark in the future that you hope to meet. Think of it as the destination.

An intention is why you are doing the thing in the first place. An intention is about the present, and how you're feeling when you do what it is you do. In that way, it's more internal. Think about intention as how you'd feel about your work, even if nobody else even saw it or experienced it. - Brandon Stosuy

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2021

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:21 pm

After the time change I love to sew in he morning in the basement where my sewing zone is set up, I do not even notice it is dark out.
I can make progress 30, 45, min. Or an hour in several weeks get quite a bit accomplished.
I need to apply that to my weaving. I have lamps for extra light in my work spaces that helps as well.
Today came across fabric in a box I had forgotten about flannel for vest lining I think. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:23 pm

I have been seaming up market bags this weekend.
I have several done now.
Painted a border for a sign.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:04 pm

Art Therapy is on my mind with snow on the forecast north of us this week.
I did up another batch of market bags. This is a great way to get the sewing machine set up for other projects.
I did up a puppet started another one, and started a new dish cloth too.
Did some knitting on a prayer shawl.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:48 pm

Curtains around the house have my attention as I try to decide what needs a little hemming, what needs complete change. I had some fabric in an online "cart" thinking about it for short tiers and while I thought it shot up in price to twice as much. I guess that answers THAT question. Kitchen curtain looks especially nice, I think - a small gingham success, lol. When I struggle with rods, HRH can usually manage to get them done since he's taller. Grateful for my dmother's old library step-stool, too, the kind that you push around but it doesn't grip the floor until you step on it.

Return to “The Creative Home”