Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2022

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2022

Postby Harriet » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:47 pm

I mended a shirt for dd42. I don't know if it had been cut wrong at the factory so the underarm seams never met at the intersection, or if somebody sewed right away from the fabric into the air, but somehow it was finished with an open underarm. It fits now, so maybe the latter. I can't say much - if I were doing that work, I'd be terrible at it, and bleary-eyed.

Got a compliment on the dress I altered for myself.

dd24 asked me to press some blossoms from the flower she picked out for me at the nursery, that never did very well. She said maybe a few blossoms to look at were all she ever wanted anyway. Verbena. I think they will press pretty well, but won't hold the perfect shape of the full circle of bloom, just individual blossoms.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:08 pm

Nancy, do you have a pattern for your nightdress? I was shocked when I saw how expensive PJ's and nightgowns are now in the stores. I thought to use the one nightgown I bought for a pattern to make others, but I don't seem to have time to get to that. I do have one more nightgown to use now though. Yesterday I was getting a navy TShirt out of DH's drawers and found my navy nightgown had gotten folded up in there too! No, DH wasn't going to wear it :lol: it probably got left in his basket of clothes and he folded it not looking at it and put it in the drawer.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:50 pm

No pattern for nite dress I put a room tee shirt ont on paper drew around it and lengthened it with room for hips and made it longer.
I used newspaper for the 1st generation of the patter, tweaked it till it fit, then cut out used brown paper bags, harder to get those now, I do have
a roll of brown craft paper like they use for bgs and used that. I am a bigger size now so this go round I practiced on old sheets that worked and tweaked till it fit. Then I cut out fabric pellon for a long term pattern.

You could try joann's , michaels or other fabric stores, places that have patterns could be thrift shops, vintage stores, on line
I suppose if you had some thing specific in mind. Mine is like a shift easy peasy and 45 min. to seam it up. I think I practiced on a childs size,or a doll
in the beginning. It takes 4 yards for what I do for me so even on sale with a coupon that is spendy. But I could not get the type of flannel I wanted.
It was a bday gift to myself.

I started another knit shawl project.

Finished the sewing project I have been working on.

Return to “The Creative Home”