Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2023

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2023

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:16 pm

Here's a great thought that can apply to whatever creative outlet we have, whether we use paint brushes, camera, paper supplies, natural elements, etc.:
"Our sewing spaces are where we go to recharge. No matter how you came to quilting (or other creativity), what part of it is your favorite, or what you like to make, it's good for you, filling back up that part of you that you depleted by the other roles in your life." - Karen Brown of Just Get It Done Quilts

Our creativity is one way we show ourselves some LOVE.It's not just about giving something to others, or donating, or even creating something that's inspiring, although those things are important.

It's also about loving ourselves and gifting ourselves with time to recharge and do what WE love to do! Brown talks about letting go of even wonderfully creative items if they are not what you have decided you WANT to work on. She says that in creative areas, the decluttering question isn't, "Does it spark joy?" so much as "Do I want to do this?", because time is our most precious commodity, more than money or even space.

I've never seen Brown's videos before but ran across them now, as she just finished her annual January Declutter. I've missed this for several years and missed this one, but of course it can be done in any month. She has 21 sessions, the first being throw away all trash and clear/clean a sewing space with machine set up and ready. As a finish to the first session (first day!), you choose an unfinished project to be working on through the rest of the sessions. I find that WILDLY optimistic, lol, so maybe that's why I think it's smart. LOL!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2023

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:04 pm

My fav, part is time to clear my head thing be renewed and restore a creative outlet.
I decluttered sewing zone in Oct. it helped a lot and did it 15 min. at a time!

I pressed fabric strips for next mystery project.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:44 pm

Okay, priority of the children's wounded stuffed animal is hand-sewn back up with a nearly-matching thread. He was only coming apart along a seam. I've set him in the window, so they'll see him first thing next time they or a parent comes by. This was a very high-quality toy from expensive place, so you would think it would hold up better. This is not something they have treated roughly.

Nancy, I think I remember you got some decluttering done in the fall. Glad it served you well.

I want to start on those organization days of ideas after one more priority.

A small curtain here is down because it needs a side-hemming and also hasn't had the right rod. I've purchased the right rod and gotten it put up now and the sewing is all that's lacking. Without this curtain in place, there's less privacy at a porch, so I don't want to do without for long.

When that is done, I'll start her plan but won't hold myself to just February.
I'll appreciate having a plan and not having to reinvent one if she's got a proven one - that's great. But I wish she had a written explanation of the days and what's coming up. She only has the videos, which each take time.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:30 pm

Got 2 yds. fabric for bag to seam up for gifts with the strips of accent Christmas fabric.
Prepped that and cut some for later maybe tomorrow.
It is way fun!

Painted my 1st doz. of rocks for Easter.
ALso painted a smallish shelf 1st coat is on it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:49 am

Nancy, it's so good to hear that you're enjoying that fabric, and I saw you were going to get to have lunch out with a friend, too - have fun. What will you use the shelf for?

The curtain project is done. Next priority is hemming pants and can wait until sewing machine is situated in my new room plan.

When WonderBoy came over today, I got him to crawl under the big desk and plug in the sewing machine cord at its new spot I've planned, which he managed by lying on his back and scooting, lol. Glad to have him! One small part done, faster and easier than I could! Now HRH will carry the machine back in and put in place, and I'll be on my way to finished with day 1 of Brown's declutter plan.

Day 1 is to throw away any trash in your space, plus clean off the surface for your sewing machine space completely, ready to sew while you do the rest of the days. You're also to choose a stored creative project to get back to, to sew along during the decluttering, so there will be reward.

When I had to wait on the sewing surface, I got started on day 2 project, which is taking a longer time than I'd like.

Day 2 is to take all of what she calls the "squatters" out of the space - items that don't have to do with sewing. She says we tend to allow our creative space to have other items dumped on it. Very easy to get distracted on this one, because you run into such a variety of things that are nearly related to sewing but not really. And things you probably already tried to go through once before! This is always the slower process of declutter.

Day 3 will be magazines, which can be all mixed up with "squatters" from day 2. I don't have many loose ones - most are already in stand-up cardboard holders. I started on the loose ones, deciding why I was keeping and whether they need labels on the front to remind. 2 were definite keepers and were redeemed into the containers for the projects I saved them for. For instance, one has a teapot pattern that I'd thought would be a fun block in a sampler quilt. It's now in a container with other single blocks for a sampler. Other magazines are iffy - they may get tossed.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:17 pm

The shelf for now has a rubber stamp that says TEA. on it I will add trinkets maybe fav. painted rocks.
Not sure what yet smaller treasures will go on it.

Finished my 2 doz. of rocks last nite.

Did more de-stressing on that shelf and I like it even better now! :mrgreen:

Cut off the too long bag, will make two from this one.
One is hemmed , the other needs finish work on it, finish work is done.
One more bag cut out and ready to seam up.
Did that bag, realized the accent fabric can be added like a waist band on a garment.
Alas found yet another way to mess it up! I will succeed I just need to keep trying!
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:19 pm

Harriet, how's the declutter/organizing going in your creative space? Do you have to count all the to-do projects sitting around? I still have one.... :?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:25 am

Harmony, it's going well, I think. Everyone is so different, though. For instance, this lady keeps so much more than I do in some areas of sewing life, and less in others. She does say several times in her videos, that there are just things no one can decide except you. The point is progress, I guess, and feeling as though you get a handle on what you do have. I can find things quicker.

Yes, you have to count your UFOs or unfinished. I think there's one of her "days" that includes it later, but at first you have to do enough to pick out a project that's "next" for while you're working on the various days' emphasis.

I now have only 10. You may remember that once upon a time I counted and had a lot more. Part of this is because I've finished some things. Part is because I realized the remaining "charity" containers, after making and giving quilts, probably equal only one quilt's worth of blocks now. Part is because I realized that just because I play around with some new methods doesn't mean every new method has to become a finished project by itself.

I really HAD to do the work on those pants, so it's the current project even though it's not creative. Otherwise, now

3 small projects that will, generally, be small wall hangings.
3 medium ones: one a charity sampler, one small-ish but complex, and one larger but forgiving.
4 large quilts, only one of which would be forgiving, and the others complex.

Of course, little ideas swim in my brain for little gifts and decor, but they aren't concrete planning.

Day 4 will be books. I don't know that they need much. I threw away or donated some of them when we moved.

HRH has ideas for moving all the furniture. Sigh. I just want to organize first, but he says let's move to better (?) arrangement and then I can organize better. I wonder. One sticking point is where to put up the design wall, which we dread. Does more sunlight come in here or there? Can you see from a distance better here or there? Do I want others to see it from the hall, or keep some work surprises?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:23 am

I looked back at Unfinished Fabric Object confessions here and I believe the least I ever counted was 5. The most was 17, which I was quoting briefly from an older post that must have been lost after that, now too old to be found here. So, I don't know the particulars of how small some might have been. Still, way too much for someone to be holding in their head!

BookSaver once counted 10, but she was heading off to one of her sewing retreats with a hope to complete two. She said that didn't count the multiple-items-at-once project that she was assembly-lining at that time (tote bags).

Harmony, with your projects whittled down to one, I'd be tempted to start another and choose between the two when I worked. But you have such a disciplined mind compared to me. Having a finish and then a reward of something new might be better for you.

Nancy, that's nice you can see something from one project that can work for another. Good job getting the rocks ready in advance of the holiday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:06 am

Last night I dreamed I was painting craft projects.
Got my 1st project done for today one bag, still learning on these. :mrgreen:
But they are improving so that is progress yea!

Return to “The Creative Home”