Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2023

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2023

Postby Harriet » Mon May 01, 2023 9:20 am

What's the creativity that is making your May look interesting and fun?

Are you finishing up a project, redeeming a project you had set aside, or excited to be starting something brand new?

I was thinking about PORTABILITY as I consider an expected 2 to 3 hour wait at a dentist's waiting room today. I really don't have much PORTABLE in my current projects. Most require the machine or lots of space. But there's some fabric triangles I've already cut for making small hand-stitched pinwheel-pattern patchwork blocks that I work on every so often. I'm expecting they may turn into a border for a quilt project with similar types of fabrics. So, I can take those along, to alternate handwork with some reading and use my time in a pleasant way.

Is your creativity portable? Do you ever take it with you to places you may find yourself waiting? What type of carrier do you use? Do you have to do a lot of work to gather things together or do you keep things ready?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2023

Postby Nancy » Mon May 01, 2023 11:44 am

My new project is a rocking chair I got free someone was going to take to the dump to paint.
This is what happens when granny has a truck! LOL!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 01, 2023 8:07 pm

LOL, Nancy, every woman should have access to transport with enough room for big decisions. Hope the rocker is a fun project. What color will you paint?

This dentist's office turned out to be an ideal place for handwork. Every seat had a bit of a table or side of table easy to reach, and I got a good corner place. Set a cup of their coffee beside me and sewed with no one paying much attention. Finished one block today.

I got the name of the pattern wrong - same half-square triangle units put together differently than a pinwheel, so it's more of a Broken Dishes pattern. This makes 9 I've gotten hand-pieced so far from scraps. Lots of variety in them.

A little tote with pockets was all the help I needed to bring things - even scissors in a pocket. Since my teeth go with me everywhere, and I will sometimes forget and use my teeth to cut the thread after sewing a seam, I don't even need those. I could just have a bit of hand sewing in my purse all the time.

Since dd's pet passed away today, and I had that vet appt so much on my mind during the same-time dentist appt, I may use a micron permanent fabric marker and write his name in the lightest triangle. At the least, it could be a puzzle for someone to ponder someday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 01, 2023 9:32 pm

I was going to do it with dgd, I have white paint.
But dd likes it and is a much better painter so she might do it.
She will take it when she gets settled in her new place!
Glad I rescued it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 18, 2023 12:34 am

I have tried to post a photo of the design wall, which is up and working well in the room.

But I think I'm having the same trouble Mystery did when she eventually decided to just link to a photo method of her own to show her embroidery.

I don't have that option, so may just have to say it's doing well. So far, nothing has fallen or shifted - all the cotton fabrics are holding well to the gray flannel and I can stand back and plan.

Being nearly done with one quilt top, I think it's close to time to say that finished is better than perfect. I shopped for some additional fabrics that would be nice but can't decide. The way it is right now, a space below the center large block will just be occupied by a dogwood print fabric. It seems a bit like it needs something more, but everything I try seems to fall short. Had thought of trying words, but so far, I can't keep that idea from being pretentious - would really need to simplify. It's going to be a quilt, not a monument.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 18, 2023 8:23 am

I did a sketch on a sticky note for a three hole wrap around dress I had as a teen and was wondering if I could make one again.
One of mom's friends made it for her mom who had had a stroke.
Thinking if it would actually work one gal at church had a stroke.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 20, 2023 12:32 pm

Took out the sleeves on the blazer to make a vest.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 30, 2023 12:48 pm

Nancy, is this the kind of dress you are talking about?

pattern shapes for wrap dress - Jiffy 8080
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/sewing--494833077777905129/

I remember seeing these when I was a teen, definitely. I think people used to make them for beach/pool coverups, too, out of toweling.

Dd24 is teaching her nephew, my middle dgs, how to crochet! He first said he thought he'd rather learn knitting (which she doesn't know how to teach) and she told him she was sure he could figure it out, but did he want to finish something sooner or later? lol He looked at the time frames for finishing some items and decided on crochet for now.

She herself is back to acrylic painting, this time on wood. She's also almost finished with a couple murals she's done with a partner.

Mending basket here is filling again. My favorite kitchen towel ripped so it is in my mending. I can see just how to machine-sew that so that it looks like nothing happened. It's rare - simple check that matches my kitchen curtain, and you used to see them all the time. But not anymore, so I don't want to lose it over a rip!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 30, 2023 5:23 pm

That one is close Harriet.
I found a pattern vintage forget where google maybe but am out of the mood now LOL!

Return to “The Creative Home”