Decorating Our Homes

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Decorating Our Homes

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 am

Here's a spot to tell (or show!) your decor, ask advice, give hints! Glance at the Tips, Hints forum to learn about posting photos, if you'd like. We love being "invited" into each other's welcoming homes.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Decorating Our Homes

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 pm

I had way too much decor stuff that I was not using
so it went in the yard sale
some went
other stuff is boxed up to go.
Candles and silk flowers that I"m not using
will be amongst the first things to be hauled off!
Then the fall stuff b/c we are not
doing outside lights they went in the trash
were so old seemed like the best place for 'em.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Decorating, decor, HA! I'm still trying to find places for the extra stuff we dragged in here from DMiL's place. Today I put a huge bin of picture albums in the hall closet, it was sitting on the living room end table. Was so heavy I had to push it across the floor. DH won't be happy, he liked it up higher so he didn't have to bend to get stuff out.

I'm still not used to having this extra stuff here.

On the other hand, good progress made in spare bedroom, now all cleaned out and there's room for a bed, a real honest-to-goodness bed, not just air mattresses. The 2 pictures I took from DMiL's old bedroom and put up there I'm going to leave up. They are paris scenes and I like them. They just need new mats and frames.

Little baby steps around here these days.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:03 pm

One good thing about the move is I get to start over. I have a genuine coordinated bedroom set for the first time in my life, a lovely colonial style. My living-dining-office space is more modern, even with a traditional sofa, due to the Ikea Expedit entertainment center, desk, and coffee table. The sofa is red, the entertainment center white, and the coffee table birch. My desk is white, too. My desk and the entertainment center will eventually get inserts of doors and drawers in red and white. Did I mention the beige walls and carpets that are standard in this apartment? The trim is all white.

I will be getting a birch dining table and chairs with white cushioned seats. The seat covers are removable so making some is a possibility. I need some ideas for making the place feel a bit more traditional. I want some floral or embroidered throw pillows, and maybe placemats or a tablecloth.

Help!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:17 pm

cathyy, an Ikea catalog came here for the first time because on the other side of Big City, there is a new store. When neither my mom or I could find things in it we wanted, my dh told me he thought I was a "textile" person (yes, true) and therefore my style wouldn't mesh with Ikea.

So, to add traditional feel and look to Ikea pieces, I think my short answer for you would be textiles. If it were me I would probably choose those throw pillows you mentioned in "cottage" eclectic style, looking for a mix of shapes, that sort of thing (I see scalloped-edges on a pillow, maybe, to add curved lines). Also consider throws (afghan/quilt) for the seating. Here, though, I even have quilts hung on my walls - you may not be looking for that much textile influence! Baskets - they give a textile feeling to a space, the older-looking the style, the better!

Harmony, I hope you find just the right mats and frames for the Paris scenes. I never get stuff like that done! :roll:

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:58 am

Harriet, I believe you are right about the textiles thing. I think I should make a simple quilt throw, instead of just using the black microfleece one I already have. I was thinking pillows, placemats/tablecloth, some doilies on the coffee (and future end) table. The place has white vertical blinds, so no drapes. I want to put up some pictures, too, some of my cross-stitch and then something impressionist to add that softer feel.

My husband thinks he hates country, but really he just hates cluttery doo-dads. He really likes the bedroom, which is the Edland bed, the Hemnes chest in blue, the Hemnes mirror chest, and the Hemnes nightstands with the solid door in white. Blue bedding, a blue floral duvet cover and shams ordered and on the way. It's a lovely calm room, and it makes me feel good.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:40 pm

We sent my parents' small-scale 1950s Early American wing-back chair and 3-cushion sofa off to be reupholstered in a beige-background tapestry with deep red and deep teal design. I was determined to reupholster rather than buy new, because these pieces are just great - the small scale is perfect for my parents and helpful in the room, plus they have so much more style and character than what I see new.

I cut the previous back fabric of the sofa out (looks brand new) and saved it before the pieces left here (dark floral tapestry). I plan to have a pillow or pillows made of that fabric, which we might use for their sofa or might use for mine - we'll see. I lean more toward using them on mine, because it is a solid.

The new fabric is something like this one but not quite so formal.

So I'm interested in any ideas for curtain fabric and pillow fabric.

Probably the next item on the list will be to change curtains (staying simple), since the ones they have now are white background, not beige or off-white, which would work. I'm just trying to think of what pattern, or solid.

If we don't use the old tapestry for their house, new pillows are also in order. I really want to pull the teal color out and use it, because the walls are medium aqua.

Return to “The Creative Home”