Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2024

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2024

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:19 pm

“A good artist has less time than ideas.” – Martin Kippenberger

Is this you? It is certainly me! I have many great ideas, but no way do I have time to get them all done. I'm not sure it makes me good, but it does keep me full of inspiration.

Folks are having fun with the idea that we'll have an extra day this year. "I'll get so much more done!" is one of the funny lines. But probably 1/366th more time isn't going to change much!

What does it take for you to "find" more time to get the benefit of being creative? Do you have to schedule it, give time to it first thing in the morning, or maybe have a deadline? Is it new materials or tools that get you regularly giving time to your projects? Do the compliments or requests of others inspire you to make the time for more?

Let us know what 2023 successes you had. Btw, Kathryn has fixed it so that we have the opportunity to post some photos again if we want.

What will you be working on in 2024? What's the plan? If there's something you're excited about, do let us know. Have fun!

Twins' Mom

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2024

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:07 pm

I want to continue stamping this year, and not let it go by the wayside. It is a creative pursuit, and it's a contrast to the more analytical side of my brain, so I think it helps with my life/genealogy/other stuff balance.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:13 pm

I used a diff. technique for hemming pj's 1st pr. the red plaid ones done.
One more to do green plaid checking to see if I need to repin them or not had to repin them but not remark yea they are hemmed now!
Wahoo! I trimmed the excess off the first pr. they are working yea for success!!!

Still need to machine stitch those down, was in the basement getting ready to do that..,
when my doggie alram system went off was expceting the handy man nope it was
just the ups across the st.

I did get another cone of cotton yarn and have one more hot pad going to finish up the batch I did before.
Then I'll work on some more star shaped dish cloths.
Thinking I could use a gift dresser in the sewing zone and for fabric.
Looked at dressers and oh my there are so many options! :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:03 pm

I have dressers here to use as well.
Craft goal:
I will get one more cone of yarn to use and keep one ahead like I do food for this year.
Found scrap yarns was just telling dsis I did no have any wrong!
I'm so excited there is a mood blanket that can be made with squares that is intriguing me.
Saw it on you tube.

I finished one hot pad yesterday yea! Now I hunted up my knitting needles to go in the new to me bag I'm using for my yarn bag.
So excited to get going on star shaped dish clothes for a set of those the yarn was self striping on the hot pads! Blues and soft green
so lovely.

Started a knit star shaped dish cloth so excited to have knitting to 1/2 way now!
Found my scrap yarn bag of stash yarn yea!

Paint the top of one that I'm using black to cover a ring left from a glass or some thing will make it great.
Considering this one for the basement.
[Will need help taking it down stairs maybe when dgdson is out of school. ]

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 pm

Sore shoulder muscle so taking a break from yarn crafting today.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:39 pm

Nancy, I'm grinning to hear about your doggie alarm system keeping watch for you. Glad you found an interesting youtube video about the blanket to think about. Smart to have a goal to stay ahead this year. Is the shoulder feeling any better?

Twins', we do need variety to keep up interest and to have a rest from one thing by enjoying another. A change of occupation is rest. I noticed in PWYC that you might be having a small group end, and I know that's a sort of downer. Maybe stamping and being creative would ease that with something completely different to plan and accomplish.

Today I got started on the very center 16-inch circle of the quilt top. I already had the cutting done and waiting for me in a little container, and that was such a help to know those cuts were already double-checked so I could just start. Still, a lot of interruptions today so I don't feel I got as far as I would have expected.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:05 pm

Yes shoulder is better. I have finished the before mentioned dish cloth & have the next one half done.
I have several sets ahead I put them together with two hot pads considering how to bag them up.
Maybe in cloth drawstring bags easier to count as a set LOL!

Done: / most from last year ~
4 sets of 2 hot pad & 2 dish cloths ea.
3 sets of two dishcloths each.
I keep em in a round basket and it is full.
Could fill one more I suppose it has fiber in it however.

Update: shop at home in my basket stash and found one they will fit in it's oblong rectangle but hey it works!
I did knit a section today. Only two more to do on this project.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:35 pm

Harriet, I do need to diversify my hobby interests - I've been so focused on genealogy the last couple of years I've neglected that creative side. I have restocked my stamping supplies and need to do some sorting and organization of new and old colors. And I purged a lot of older stamps that I don't (won't) use but I need to try to sell or take to the Goodwill.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:32 pm

I ordered a pack of fresh file folders for my card stock - need to set up new ones for new colors and some of the old ones are pretty ragged looking. That gives me a bit of motivation to work on that. Fresh folders! Fresh office supplies!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:55 pm

Write as craft! Or journaling correct?
I found a link for a journal added it to my amz. books wish list.
Looked into it further and realized is based on stuff I've already done for the most part is full sheet size.

Reading Currently
The Friday Night Knitting Club
by Kate Jacobs

Got 2 pair of new pj's did the final seam finishing on the hem I can finally wear them, and a phone pocket on one other pair I will enjoy with
that option now way more! The last ones are fuzzy great for this cold weather.

Got a use up the scraps & left over project started knit shawl will be fun to see how it comes together,
so far great lime green blue purple and others from projects some are just a dab of color others have a lot!
Good for this time of year.

Return to “The Creative Home”