Has anyone merged GTD with SHE?

It's classic and it works for you: the original home organization card file.
happylittlemom

Has anyone merged GTD with SHE?

Postby happylittlemom » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:29 pm

I have begun reading GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen) and really like what I've heard so far though I have no idea how to implement it to housework and my stay-at-home lifestyle. I cannot seem to keep all the "balls in the air" and feel like I've lost the battle with my house. Any GTD ideas for the home?

lucylee

Re: Anyone merge GTD with SHE?

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi!
I haven't read GTD -- what are some of the main points of his system? What are some of the things you want to combine w/SHE?
I think everyone here sorta follows a mix of different systems anyway, sorta individualized to fit our own situations.

* sigh * I have been following the Path of Least Resistance for a long time, but I keep struggling to get a little more routine in my life.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Re: Anyone merge GTD with SHE?

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi, happylittlemom. Welcome. In the Cardfile Central forum below this forum, in Cardfile Links we've given links to sites for "Printable Templates for 3x5s" and "Hipster PDA (3x5 cards on the go)". Both of those sites mention the application of 3x5 card systems to the Getting Things Done approach. You'll find printable 3x5s that use specific GTD templates.

Because you mention SHE, you may already know the book Sidetracked Home Executives and some websites give specific guidelines for 3x5s to organize one's household management. In addition to the abundant "21 Essays" site/link (which has so much information), which we also give under Cardfile Links, the site Organization Station is good - has some pop-ups, sorry, but still good.

Many of us here use 3x5s or 4x6 cards. I love mine. Several here have recently updated their cardfiles or are doing so now. I keep thinking I'll do more with the printables, but I haven't gotten around to it! Every time I think I'll print it just seems so much faster to jot down what I need and run. (I use the grouped-tasks concept for cards, for instance, all chores related to cleaning the bathroom grouped on one card.)
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

blessedw2

Re: Has anyone merged GTD with SHE?

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:54 pm

no I have never heard about that, sounds interesting
I think the best about loosing the house though is staying with the basics for awhile. I have to go back to that now that Christmas is over. dishes, duds (laundry), dinner basics.
I stay with the basics because it works for me but I will read his book if I can get it from the library.

so nice to meet you.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

happylittlemom

Postby happylittlemom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 pm

I guess you could look at it as mostly 'work' related, but I see it be completely useful for anything you might be doing. From housework to throwing a baby shower. It is the mindset that I think is the best thing you get from the book. "What is the next action?" Truthfully when I'm feeling overwhelmed, that question alone can spark me to move forward. I get too caught up in the big picture and the huge 'work' load in my house and with my kids, and with my ill father, that taking a moment to pull back and simply ask "what's next" is a zen moment of sorts. I'm glad you have merged the two, but by no means do I agree that it is a work only thing, it is applicable to everything ;-) Have a great day! Thanks for the lovely responses.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi Happy Mom. Welcome to the boards. I have read GTD and used its concepts with my household management tasks. I like the website too for interesting discussions on different uses other than work. He has a brand new book that came out yesterday. I bought it today - can't think of the title at the moment - it re-explains the concepts but expands on the daily usage of them. Should be interesting reading, hoping to stimulate my use of it more.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 pm

here it is

I happened to have an amazon window open today for my calendar order.

My post to happylittlemom above this post includes several sites that mention GTD, including the DIY and the printable cards, which both offer printable GTD helps.

Edited to remove reference to thread I merged from PWYC so it reflects the post is in this thread. - Indiana
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

happylittlemom

Postby happylittlemom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks blessed and Harriet! I ordered "House Works" and got it today. I know it sounds nutty, but I was excited to see all the 'how tos' in there. I've ALWAYS wondered how people actually fold fitted sheets... and it is in there. Crazy to be excited about that but I am ;-) I may look into the new GTD book, it looks interesting and I like the idea of expanding the use. I have made a lot of progress on my paper clutter already thanks to the system and it really does keep my brain freed up a bit.

Harriet, I believe it was you who gave me the wonderful links to the other organizational sites and I have throughly enjoyed looking at them. I find something useful and compelling whenever I see how someone else has gotten their 'stuff' together and organized. Right now my master bedroom needs some serious attention. Hopefully this weekend will be a high energy one for me and I'll get at it! It would be awesome to kick it out this first weekend of the new year!

Happy New Year to you all!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Happy new years happy!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Cardfile Central”