January card file

It's classic and it works for you: the original home organization card file.
blessedw2

January card file

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Hello again. Thank you as always, for letting me work my card file here. What a wonderful way to start 2009.

May it be a great year to all!

What are you doing today in Your card file?
YOur dailies, weeklies, monthlies, goals, plans?
How can you work your dreams in a little each day to get where you want to be.

I work along with dindianas focus and dharriets dejunking (hoping to add health too).
May you have the home you want and reach what makes you happy.

I love dharriets dailies and hope you don't mind harriet I put it here

Morning Daily Card – 1 hour
Make bed
Gather stray clothes to baskets, choose the day's ONE laundry load
Start laundry while unloading dishwasher
Pick up through the front of house
Check yesterday's drip-dries for trips to owner's closets
Swipe front bathroom, straighten
Laundry to dryer or hung to drip-dry - washer/dryer tops clear
Sweep/mop kitchen floor on easy laundry-load days when time is available (10 mins)

Afternoon Daily Card – ½ hour
Any ready trash bags out to cans
Check mailbox, sort mail through to put-away
Plan supper, possibly set table
Make pitcher of tea in hot months
Check dryer, fold, put away

Evening Daily Card – 1 hour
Pick up through house - straighten
Follow-through on laundry if any can be put away
Finish dishes into dishwasher
Feed pets
Clean kitchen counters/sink to absolute pest starvation mode - no water droplets
Last thing is to start dishwasher
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Re: January card file

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:40 pm

call ski hill for dkids (never tried before) I used to go skiing as a kid all the time but my weight (oh how that stopped me from enjoying things... what a waste of time being heavy and out of shape). So it will be dkids first time! set for Sunday
called: :D

set up quicken for this year :D

dailes
dishes
find
wash
fill
empty
laundry find
wash
dry
put away ***a must
counters
table
stove
donation run
make beds
find garbage
brush dogs
play with dogs
exercise
sweep kitchen
sweep family room
vacuum surface ( :? dogs)

weeklies pulled: dog room vacuum , clean front of washer/dry

special dog beds

me: stretch and exercise
dd13 ran 1 mile on tread mill :D
start in back room

do something that makes me happy
- paper taming: redo quicken for 2009 :D
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:23 pm

So...here's my question about cardfiles. For those tasks that aren't terribly time intensive, but are repeated from room to room - cleaning the windows, wiping fingerprints from light switches, doorframes, etc .... do you have a separate card for each task for each room? Or just a general "wipe fingerprints" card with the different rooms/areas listed on it?
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi b is sweet, I just have one card for fingerprints. I didn't do it for about 3 -4 weeks during Christmas and new years so now they are all over the place esp. with dogs,cats and me :D, but a just do a few a day and then it catches up, not perfect mind you, but liveable.

I don't list separate rooms I just take a little windex and paper towel and kind of go upstairs and down... and if I feel I am going nuts with it I stop as there are always fingerprints.

happylittlemom

Postby happylittlemom » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:00 pm

What do the majority here do... actual cards in a cardfile, lists on paper, or computer/pda? I always want to do the pda thing, but it never seems to work somehow.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:47 pm

There really are a lot of us here who use cards. Lots mention it in PWYC but don't happen to post here. There are just a few who use PDAs and chat about that. Of course, all of us are computer users in general, so perhaps some do organize their homes by using computers but just don't chat about it much. There are plenty of list-makers, too, and lots of us have Household Notebooks, using them partially as planners/binders. Those who post in this thread use cards.

bittersweet, I have my housecleaning cards with tasks grouped on them by room. So for the minor tasks like those I count on getting them done before I consider a room finished. At times I do decide to go ahead with a task and finish one thing all over the house, like changing lightbulbs that need it or even something like vacuuming if I'm on a roll and have time. (I think vacuuming is the single least friendly task to room-by-room thinking, because it's rather a big thing to get out and put away. However, sometimes the simplicity of a way of organizing is worth it even if it's more trouble. So, when in doubt, I work in one room at a time, even with a vac.) About cleaning windows - dd always wants to do it (interior). So, yes, that chore often happens in several rooms at a time, but I don't have it on cards that way.

blessed, when I had typed that post and looked back at it, I was thinking it could almost be a post for here.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:32 am

P'raps it's just my peculiar mind, but how does one work a system where all the tasks for a room are grouped on one card? What if you don't have time to finish the whole room that day? Do you have a system for marking off what's done and what isn't?

I'm debating whether to keep my current card system, or to break it down room by room...have a card for each room for dailies, another for weeklies, etc. I'd better decide soon, though, or it will be summer, and I'll still be thinking instead of doing!
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 pm

What if you don't have time to finish the whole room that day? Do you have a system for marking off what's done and what isn't?

I do!! This is where my post-its come into play. (I have been known to cut a regular one into thirds because I'm cheap, btw. Somebody gave me mini ones and I adored those!) I scribble on a post-it the thing (or two) that is still bothering me about a room, pop it onto the card, and do not re-file the card behind other housecleaning cards until I can take the post-it off OR unless I have CHOSEN to keep the post-it because I'm skipping something until the next time. I use a colored paper clip to note an entire card skipped (rare since moving to grouped cards but not unheard of). Back when I did less grouping I used yellow for one skip, red for two, meaning STOP skipping! LOL!

bittersweet, I have gone back and forth between room-by-room and specific-chore cards for years, both are great, and I may very well change again. (((It's all good!))) So what if you change your mind during the year - there's a lot to like with either. Lately with so much press of time that my brain gets fried, however, I perhaps should report, friends, that for the overwhelmed, room-by-room thinking does help with calmness. I think to myself, "well, if I just work in the ___________ room today, I know I'll be on target. I can do this." When my brain has a lot on it's mind :? , I can lose my momentum by traveling through the house too much while working, noticing things that turn my attention to worries. I seem to do better keeping brain and body in one area until I really need some supplies or something (or am interrupted!). Also, success in one room to which I can return to b-r-e-a-t-h-e :D gives me a nearby calming fix!
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:41 pm

I agree its all good. I used to think you had to do exactly as one book told you, but I learn to pick and choose what works for me.

I have my monthly's on cards. I need the tangible item I can throw in my month. I also have special projects I have on a temporary 3 x 5 (like paint the outside chairs etc.) but I also go back and forth to a room sheet I have in a folder for a reference I keep missing etc.

on paper list (which I keep in a folder) I have the room listed on top: dining room
chore with 12 slots next to it and listed for the month, (I toss the done card at the end of the month and at the end of month ... I write the date done (from the card) next the chore and if missed with an x. I never make it a big deal if not done. It is not a race but a goal to hit spots through out the house for overall control (even though it doesn't look many times like I have control :lol: ) I can see what I keep putting off (which is part of my nature). I only check it off once a month.

I can look what I didn't do one month and remember to do that card as a priority for the following month.
(the cards are my touch item I need to get it done, the list is an overall view of what should be done and I know if I miss it the next month or two it will get done).

example of dog room/laundry room :
top line: Chore jan feb march etc.
clean top of appliances, front of washer and dryer 1/13 2/28 etc.
clean top of dog crates 1/15 (under feb) x
clean behind dog crates
sweep floor in there
wash floor
dejunk
wash door and bottom of walls (every 2 months)
clean outside door (every 2 months)
cobwebs
toss toss toss

every 6 months or year clean behind washer dryer
wash walls yearly (maybe paint)

I also keep 3 x 5 note cards nearby for repairs that need to be done. Like the other day I saw the bathroom needs to have caulk removed and replaced. so I wrote it on that and threw it to the end of the month until I can plan on getting it done.

Pam and Peggy had a sheet in their poda (organizer) with a vinyl sheet on top with their dailies where crossed off with erasable marker when they were done. that doesn't work for me but works for them.

the most important for me is may dailies, and harriets dejunking. simplicity of not having stuff is a blessing.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:17 pm

family being home and not productive makes me slow down to do nothing... wonder why I do that.

dailies:
done except turning on dw

registered for class and paid for it. starts january 20th
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cardfile Central”