PocketMod - basic hip help AND/OR new apps

Organizes and holds information for the family to use. Set up, maintain, and fine-tune your system here.
Harriet

PocketMod - basic hip help AND/OR new apps

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 am

Note that at http://www.pocketmod.com you will now find Version 2 beta with new apps.

At http://www.repocketmod.com there is still the greatest variations of calendars and writing guides (such as tables) and Do-it-yourself standards such as Daykeeper and To-Do style pages.

Chat in this thread about how we learn to use this remarkably simple "piece-of-paper" tool, either as we've done since its inception in 2005 or with the new apps.

If anyone has success stories with the PocketMod, please let us know.

Harriet

Re: PocketMod - basic hip help AND/OR new apps

Postby Harriet » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:30 pm

The basic concept here, beginning in 2005, was to quickly print out 8 small pages of text/image called "widgets" onto an 8 x 11 sheet right from your printer, then fold into an efficient disposable planner for your pocket. Several villagers here have used the PocketMod off and on with success, either weekly, daily or for specific projects, and hopefully we'll hear experiences and tips.

New concepts in Version 2 beta PocketMod and how they are working for me:

Personal - Custom Page Widget - works beautifully. You quickly title and then write your own printed notes for the day or week. They are remembered when you "close" and then you can drag the page right over to your PocketMod. Definitely a help I can use. Better than handwriting.

Calendar - Weekly widget - feature prints the current dates/days accurately so you don't have to, for "this week" and "next week". Works fine and makes a difference in how helpful pages are.

Calendar - "Today" and "Tomorrow" widgets - work fine with accurate day/dates, might be helpful to have a real-size calendar square like these sometimes.

Games - Sudoku puzzle widget - prints out large enough to enjoy. The question is, is this a different puzzle each day, because if that app is not going to work there's no value? It is a different puzzle from the one viewed onscreen, but jury is out. Sudoku blank widget - I don't really play, so it's not worth it to me if I have to reinvent the wheel - this is for real addicts to the game. www.repocketmod.com has a larger selection of game pages, if that's important to someone.

Miscellaneous - Emergency Info widget - prints out fine. My question is, isn't it a lot of trouble every time with typing in info. If you could get the "Image Widget" (below) to work, you could do your own just once as a permanent web image and just plug it in in seconds each time. Also, is anyone really going to look in your PocketMod for this info - certainly put it on front or back page if it's necessary.

Micellaneous - Franklin's virtues widget - if you are used to keeping up with these, it might be nice to have them at your fingertips. I myself can't spare the PocketMod space.

Okay, here are the apps that aren't working right now but sound great... ...

Information - Image widget - takes the info for an internet image (but doesn't print it yet). Maybe I haven't yet created a small enough web image to work, but more likely it's not "plugged in". It seems to say it will require all text, is that right? If anyone gets this to work let us know - it could be great.

Information Apps widgets for weather, mags - So far I can't get these to work, either. If anyone else manages, or happens to get by when the apps are working, let us know what you think. It will be very cool to just type in your zipcode to have your area's weather printed on the PocketMod for the day.

I notice that one month ago, Chad Adams (inventor) wrote a response on the YouTube video to someone who said they were really wishing they could use the new apps. He said he was having a problem with the server that should be corrected soon.

I still like www.repocketmod.com for the broader selection of pages, but the personal page here and the accurate day/date weekly calendar pages are really valuable.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:34 am

I was playing with the various pages and now I can't delete them to make a Pocket Mod that I really want to print.

Also the forum doesn't work.

I'm a bit disappointed that they don't have their ducks in a row before they went public with the beta version.

On Edit: Found out you just move new pages over the previous pages and it works. Also that you can Edit the SIMPLE LIST multiple times and it makes a new page. You cannot, however, go back to edit a previous Simple List after it has been placed into the Pocket Mod.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Until Emptynester's post I didn't even see that "simple list" also lets you print out personal notes. That's helpful.

Verdict on Sudoku - yes, the beta Version 2 prints a different puzzle every day.

I have always had a nagging thought that you could print your own ideas for a part of your PocketMod page and then print the PocketMod over it on the same sheet, with blank pages where your personal ideas went. This site page, The Printable CEO's pocketmod hack, puts the idea into words and offers David Seah's "bubble" time-tracking concept for projects, but small enough to print on your choice of 2 pages of the PocketMod. Then you would print your PocketMod on the same sheet with those pages left blank.

I can envision a custom cover of your favorite line drawing, for instance. Or printing part of the Version 2 and part of the re:pocketmod version, according to what you like most.

Today was the first day I used the Personal page, and I put in 5 priorities. Plenty of space to write in related phone numbers and names I learned later in the day, and the whole thing was in my pocket when calls were returned.

I suggested a PocketMod to dd11 this a.m. and the phone rang. By the time I came back, she had one printed out, and had assembled it correctly and was FINISHED. Knew how to cut it without being told there was a tutorial to watch. Youth is wasted on the young. Btw, she says she likes the time-of-day page from re:pocketmod for school, and hopes it will be included in any new version.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:05 pm

So -- are y'all printing out a NEW pocketmod each day?
That seems like it would take too long.
I made one for myself for school last year, and still keep it in my grade book, but I forget to turn the pages.
I have dailies on one page, then separate pages for each of the four grading periods, and pages for the first month and last month of school.
But it's no good if you don't look at it. :roll:

I also have a check sheet/master list in the front of my grade book w/the same tasks listed.

I forget to look at it too. :oops:

I'm pretty hopeless, aren't I???
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:26 pm

lucylee, you have a PocketMod that you're sort of using for a project (your payroll). That would be different from me since I have everything from the flea repellent due date to dd's crutches info either scribbled or printed in mine, plus shopping items for both houses. I'm thinking "everything reminder". :)

I think in terms of a few days at a time for a PocketMod. I have never had one last me a week because too much changes, but they do seem to last more than a day. For the one I used today, I carried over the week's priorities on the "personal" page widget and carried over my amended shopping list on the "simple list" widget (after catching on last night that I could personalize it, too). I just penciled in the few items on the "this week" and "next week" calendar widgets.

We have our printer on all the time here, so it's instant for me to print something. If I could get used to printing a pocketmod every few evenings or even every evening, I think it could be as fast as any other method of corralling all this thinking. ;) It was nice to wake up to it this a.m.

How to remember to use it? When I have a pocket, I'm all set. :D Otherwise, I leave it lying around and have to go find it. Which happens every time I think of a shopping list item. So I'm getting better about it.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat May 01, 2010 12:10 pm

What I should do with mine, at school, is to move it through my gradebook, class by class, as the day goes on...
That might work.
It's much better than dealing with a card file for daily/weekly 'chores' at work, IMHO, which is what some people on Flylady's forums recommend.
Oh my goodness... I just keep thinking someday, I will REALLY 'get my act together' at school and do everything just right... and then I'll be able to retire. As long as I'm thinking "NEXT YEAR, I AM GOING TO DO THIS/THAT..." well... I just can't hang it up as long as I've got that mindset, can I?
Tomorrow is another day.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Tue May 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Sometimes when I change a simple list, close it, and drag it to the format - it won't change what is there. Ditto for cover page. (I made one for hubby and now mine has his name on it - couldn't get it to change.) I've learned to trick it by making all the pages I want to change blank pages and then changing them and that worked. Just thought you might want to know.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for the tip, Emptynester.

I have learned a few things:

a bright sticker will help me see the cover of the PocketMod if I lay it down somewhere :oops:
"Table" widget page will hold 4-5 days of my 14 healthy habits
"Appointment Timesheet" or "Table" works for tracking my recent Round Robins emphasis
Can't do without "This Week" and "Next Week" pages, beside each other
"Personal" page is for priorities and I end up writing in notes like phone #s, or "postponed"
a couple well-placed bits of Scotch tape make PocketMod sturdier for several days' life

Apron pocket is perfect for a PocketMod - I switch it to outer purse pocket when I go out

a little disappointed that the "Table" widget page requires some redo of faint lines, but it's okay

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue May 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Gee, has it been a year since we've been posting here!

I've used the PocketMod off and on and still find it to be a "go-to" resource when several projects or deadlines crunch during the same week.

Tracking my healthy habits on a PocketMod this week. I can use the page called "Table" for 7 days by just penciling in one more vertical line to make the 6 vertical columns into 7. Also the page called "Food Diary" I can pencil in a few more vertical lines to make it 7 days across. I just mark out the top headings and consider it days of the week instead. Instant technology.

Still can't do without the "Story Board" for a cover with some
BRIGHT sticker in the open area, so I can FIND the PocketMod when I inevitably lay it down among other white papers.

Return to “Household Notebook/Planner, and PocketMod”