The Household Notebook

Organizes and holds information for the family to use. Set up, maintain, and fine-tune your system here.
Harriet

The Household Notebook

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Here's a place to chat about our Household Notebooks and how we use them for organization of our homes, easy retrieval of important pieces of info, or day-to-day efficiency. Everyone who has a Household Notebook is different - some of us turn to our Notebooks daily, others use them just for careful record-keeping. How do you put yours to use?

For quick access, here's the link to CEO's Household Notebook website, with links in orange at the bottom of the page for printables, how-tos, suggested dividers and specialized notebooks.

For a helpful overview of tips for printing and creating your notebook, use this link or just scroll down to find the thread titled Household Notebook:

Kathryn's overview of printing the Household Notebook.

Other threads on down the forum are great resources too, with lots of experiences to hear, so check those out, on back to 2008.

Let us know how you use your Household Notebook, what tweaks you make, where you keep it, how often you refer to it.

Harmony

Re: 2013 with the Household Notebook

Postby Harmony » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Mine sits above my desk in the hutch. I don't get it out as often as I might. It contains all my schedules (which I pretty much have memorized) and pages for things like the size of a/c return filters, paint colors; my check off list for when we leave on a vacation, etc. I'm thinking I might get it out for a bit after the 1st of the year so I can do more focus work timely. Well, I have grand ideas, we'll see how much I'm able to do.

I copied mine from ceo's site, and I have the holiday grand plan toward the back (which I plan to use NEXT year). Along with that I have my Christmas cookie recipes and boy was that nice. This year I was so busy I had no time and just got out those sheets and made 3 kinds of cookies lickity split! Well, almost!

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 am

Have never used a household notebook, but just realized I have the equivalent of that with a folder I use, labeled "Elly's Important Household Info". I throw things in there that I may want to see again, but have no other place for...used it more when I had kids in school and then college. Now it mostly holds DH's pharmacy receipts...and printed directions for places we may go again...no need to reprint those. Going to clean out this folder and get paperwork in order this year. Oh and it holds paperwork organizing articles I have saved! :lol:
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:36 pm

I've tried the 3-ring binder, have my zones in it, but it's so large, opened up on the end of my eating bar, it drives me nuts. It looks like clutter to me. I tried a smaller notebook, which is thick, which is "okay", but it's so thick, about 2" thick, so then I get to thinking, "This is so thick! It's like clutter! Too many pages!" :lol:

But then, one fine beautiful day, I was at The Dollar Store. :D I found a recipe card folder, in clear plastic, with pages for 4 x 6" recipes and I found how index cards fit into the pages just fine. I take pretty stickers, colored pens and re-write my routines from time to time. The folder seems pretty and decorative to me, it's not clutter at all, and if someone should come visit, I just close it and put it in my basket under the cabinet near the wall, out of sight.

So, in a way I'm using this folder as a control journal only with the P & P system or sort of like CEO. I always know where to find my zone lists in the binder in the bottom kitchen drawer. I have 3 choices for routines, to choose from, if I change my mind to try something new. So I guess I'm not doing so bad after all.

One thing I've learned to do, which I heard about, is to save green cards for anything having to do with money: The budget, earnings from your job, things you'd like to buy, etc... :idea: I love using my green cards because I list things I need to do for my writing job. Green = $. I think it's a nice association. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Currently, I have a steno pad and to do lists (2) on my eating bar, to keep me on track. I need to re-do some routine pages in my folder household notebook/control journal and then will start using that again. It's cute because it's got 4 x 6" pages, so when opened, it's not taking up the entire counter. :roll: However, my office control journal printed from FlyLady's in my office in a binder. I find it helpful to look at, but need to make it a habit to look at it daily. :idea: :!: :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun May 26, 2013 12:12 am

:idea: I'm going to re-do my 4 x 6" (when closed) household notebook tomorrow. I'll put phone numbers, etc.. inside it, too, like a REAL household notebook/control journal, only on a smaller scale. I can tuck it into my purse and take it with me.

blessedw2

Re: The Household Notebook

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:20 am

I have changed over permantly to a calendar notebook since January 1, 2016 (as I no longer need tickler daily cards - lol bc I've been doing dailies for a couple decades - I don't get my dailies done every day by things happen or I'm lazy at night) - it's exactly the same thing.

I've had to work w it a bit w my focus week as I'm not good on the focus when life has its mountains.

But I like it
Again it's a moleskin 8x5 book - calendar - I find this size works for me for everything
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Household Notebook/Planner, and PocketMod”