Adapting printable forms to our systems

Organizes and holds information for the family to use. Set up, maintain, and fine-tune your system here.
Harriet

Adapting printable forms to our systems

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Here's a place to chat about the ever-changing variety of printable ideas for keeping track of our systems, calendaring, scheduling or routines. (and of course these can be adapted to tech systems using downloading converters, etc.)

Whether our personal favorites are pages as large as the Household Notebook's 8x10s or as small as the pocketmod's 1/8th of an 8x10, papers help us "see" and "seize" the day. Maybe we'd choose the cardfile, or a planner, or dry-erase marking on laminated pages, but for ANY method, new ideas are fun and - who knows - might "stick" for us as permanent favorites.

Freebies from Internet sources (some editable before printing) are widely available, plus we have our own imaginations to bring ideas together and make them "our own"!

And whenever we have ideas specific to a certain format, please add them to our pocketmod, Household Notebook and Planner threads beside this one. We'd love to know about them.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Adapting printable forms to our systems

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:48 pm

I moved my cards and some lists to the cork board on my tablet. Seems to work for me with that app. For reference.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:57 pm

I've been impressed that some of the newer forms available out there are editable, and that makes them a lot more valuable to a homemaker.

Here is a completely customizable (editable - type in) daily planner page. Every single field, from menu to appts to everyday routine, can be personalized to the individual before she prints. I almost overlooked it, since I had seen it back when it was only available with the author's own routines printed, so not as helpful to me.

What drew me to it (as you guys can imagine) was a space for the day's 5 most important chores at the top. :) And, of course, check-able glasses of water, which are an addition to a lot of forms these days. Any field can become a check-off field with the addition of check-able symbols such as capital Os at left or right of a column, or across for denoting things like how many 15s were given to a task.

Another interesting thing about this form is that if you really need to type in more words than a line will hold, the size of the print will decrease and let you get in another word. Each line is self-contained, though, so you can't just keep typing onto the next line.

The checkoff squares in the top 5 list can be typed into, such as with "P" for priority, maybe?

The small squares in daily routines can be typed into, although the type is small.

As I print this, it seems to "suggest" to my printer the size 5x7 and if I click "fit to page" it prints a 5x7 image that is so close to 4x6 that it would work well in 4x6 cardfiles or in a 4x6 photo-album style portable cardfile.

But it's easy enough to tell it to print to fit an 8x10 page, too.

Of course, when you got one printed out to suit you, and if you didn't mind writing in the specifics each day, you could copy to suit, or laminate and reuse over and over anyway.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:39 am

I like this planner page too, Harriet! I just filled one out and printed it. It came out full page 8.5" x 11" size, and I like that!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:49 am

helia, I think it has a lot of possibilities. Seeing my priorities in typeface within set spaces makes them seem like authority! LOL. At a busy time, I can see myself typing in a lot of reminders to help, too.

That's good use for a cork board, Nancy. Having more than one way to look over some info and tasks is a big help.

I think I found a good set of forms for tracking by TIME spent - BookSaver and I have discussed this need before, back when she had a big project for a group. Time tracking really helps me. I use it for declutter, for exercise, for cleaning sometimes, such as Focus each day. There are just a lot of applications for projects broken down by time spent. 15-minute parts is a good segment.

Here are 2 great forms for keeping up with time spent - David Seah's Task Progress Trackers. He has two. They let you track progress on up to 10 projects (or up to 10 parts of one project) in 15 minute segments for 4 hours each. He says he's found that 4 hours is usually enough time to have either finished a project or made a satisfying difference.

On his first form he shows (over to the right) you would bubble-in each 15 minute segment very sensibly. And there is even an extra space to use to show that the project required more effort than you expected, so you can give yourself credit for that, too.

However, for a little fun, he says: "The second version of the form, the Destruct-o-Matic, was designed for users who want to treat tasks like enemies to be destroyed." :lol: The finish is shown as an explosion.

You do have to download these freebies to print. The larger are probably the easiest to bubble in. But use your imagination and reduce or cut to fit your own method.

I find that these are good for separate rooms for Focus, or 27-flings/decisions, or Round Robins, etc. I may not be working on 10 areas, but when I add projects like clothes organizing or desk organizing, I could probably use 10. I can give myself a gold star or other sticker on the "done" spaces.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Hummmmmmmm. Although I love printables and planners and all that, I really function better with a technology platform.

I am still using WorkFlowy - it's a basic free form note app that has a Windows version and iPhone and iPad version. The downside to it is that it's free form altogether - wondering if I could paste a planner listing into it daily....or do a daily planner page in Evernote.

Right now in WorkFlowy I'm doing a daily list organized under the month. The month is "Favorited" so I can jump quickly to it. I have multiple free form mind dump lists going - from ROsh Hashanah and Hanukkah lists to move forward to ideas, things to do, genealogy organization lists that I might never get to. Effective for the mind dump and top things to do today.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Came across this today -
Here is a printable form for daily routine that has a lot on one page in a good configuration. I decided it was definitely worth a mention here.

What first caught my eye was the 3 spaces for chores for a Morning, Afternoon, and Evening Dailies time, since that happens to be my opinion of a helpful dailies plan, to turn attention to our houses those 3 times a day.

But at the same time this form is an hourly appointment planner, 5:00 a.m. to nearly 10:00 p.m. (good time frame)

I found this searching images of hourly planning forms for consistent hourly PODA items, not one-day-at-a-time forms, but I see the benefits of this for either. the to-do space would be fine for a 5x5, actually - something I wasn't looking for, but, hey.

Even though I can get to this good-sized image, when I try the page, I get a notice that says, "Uh oh! The link you’re looking for isn’t working for some reason. (404 Error)" Ah, well.

Since small writing is required for the right-side column, I wanted to see this in 8.5x11 letter size. Btw, to do that sort of re-sizing, I copy an image into Open Office drawing, and expand to the size there, then print.

Obviously, I am already eyeing those dailies spaces as well as the heading affirmations, thinking how easy to scotch-tape-in personal choices.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Great looking layout!

Not likely to find the original page again. In searching for it I hit the PleasePrayForNatalie facebook pages. She lived but it was a major fight so I'm sure those older links will all be broken and I didn't see anything on the new links but didn't spend time (I was busy scanning through the facebook group to see what happened.

When I get a moment to breathe, I'm coming back to that page and thinking what I can do with it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 am

I created a 2 day per 8.5x11" page document in word. Then printed it off double sided and folded in the middle to make a little booklet.

I can't attach the file here but it is easy for anyone to make (at least if you have Windows.)

Right click on the graphic in Harriet's link
Select Copy Image
Go to your word processor and open a blank page. Format it as landscape.
Paste the Image onto the page.

If you click on the image, you'll get little boxes around the corners. You can stretch it to be what size you want. I did mine to be half the page. Then I right clicked on my image and copied it so there are two on the page.

Then printed.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Help! I followed a rabbit trail down this form.......

Hindsight shows me I should have started with a fresh document instead of editing the pdf, but once I started I just kept going. Converting it to a 300x300 pixel picture really made it look bad but it gives an idea of my idea for using this daily form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LadyMaverick on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Household Notebook/Planner, and PocketMod”