Paper Tamer's Challenge - Tame by April, 2010

A place for organizing, simplifying, checklists, challenges and ta-das.
Harriet

Paper Tamer's Challenge - Tame by April, 2010

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 am

The days prior to and including April are a helpful time to get caught up on papertaming. For those of us in the U.S. and Canada, there's the specific reason of April tax deadlines. We can save ourselves a lot of stress if we organize and get finished with that paperwork early.

Please post here any tips and ideas to help others, any recommendations of supplies or storage that have helped you. Feel free to ask questions about how long others keep documents, how they consolidate storage, how they keep on top of complicated tasks, ways to simplify correspondence - whatever advice will help you!

Harmony

Re: Paper Tamer's Challenge - Tame by April, 2010

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm a big fan of those red rope accordion files. There are many types, from a-z to 12 or 6 pocket, so whatever works for your situation.

Mine is an empty expandable one with flap and elastic cord to keep closed. I use legal size because my stuff is often long. It fits lgl manila folders and I just mark the folders with whatever I'm keeping.

I'm able to keep spreadsheets for the entire year all together there, one folder for checks paid, one for deposits. I have a personal folder and I put all the bank, etc. info as it comes in. I pasted a label on the front with all our contact information. It's easy to pull the elastic cord around and out the door I go with everything.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I have a place for all our tax-related and a place for all my parents'. The preparer has written and has a March date of deadline for getting info to him or else having to have him file an extension, which I'd really rather not get into for either household. I happen to know that he has also had to abandon his date in the past and make his cut-off much earlier, so I need to be prepared for that.

Harmony, I use the elastic-cord smaller ones, plastic, and agree it's great to pull that cord around and be able to carry, store, knowing nothing's falling out. I have one for bill paying for each household. Btw, I also found that the plastic letter-sized worked well for flat sewing items like plexiglass rulers that need corralling. It dawns on me that the letter-sized would also work for bank statements. Those come hole-punched - maybe I should give a binder idea one more chance before going over to the file.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 pm

It's trash day h. is manning the shredder this morning
I think it is one of his fav. parts of the week.
I've started putting that paperwork that comes w/ my meds
in the shred pile it felt great to figure out what to do with those!
These are not the ones w/ info. for taxes!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 am

TAX PREPARATION FOR APRIL 2010

I am going to try to make myself accountable here on a daily basis:

Wed, March 10 - Gather papers for taxes and put in its own vinyl holder
Thurs, March 11 - Get out tax return for 2008 & print out work sheet from last year
Fri, March 12 - Type in "income" for 2009
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am

Love separating papers, girls. So, I bought several 'envelope' style vinyl folders. I cut apart (this is the anal organized part of me I guess) a 'credit card' wallet holder and glued the individual pockets to the front of each envelope. I then slide in a titled (cut smaller) index card. As I have a certain 'project', all the papers for that particular topic (my 'fight' with MEDCO, claim from last year for Shingles, DH's trip home next month, etc, etc) At least I'm not losing papers and can grab the needed 'file' in a moment. Somehow it's working better than trying to put things in file folders -at least for me.

I have one for the Disney "Give a Day, Get a Day" for dh -he's been volunteering many, many hours at DD's school. Only found out a short time ago that the school system is on that list. We have 1 ticket for Disney left from years ago (it's still good) so this will give us too. They do have to be used by Dec 15th however.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm

I am joining in on tax preparation today. Our household first. Had the dining table spread full of paper stacks for quite a while :roll: . I will not get out even one scrap of paper about my parents' until all this is completely cleared away and a little time has passed! I don't want to get the papers confused, and I don't want to get ME befuddled - I'll need head-clearing time.

Something new for us this year - we can now access and print our prescription record for the year from the pharmacy website. That was quick and helpful. Fewer errands, since each individual has to present I.D. in person if picking up - we couldn't just pick up for a spouse, and they will not mail.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 pm

I NEED to deal with the stack of papers in my room that are for "filing". A few months ago, I went through some of them, and found that at least 75% of them could be tossed or shredded. Somewhere in that pile (I think) are some medical receipts that I should have for my tax return. Guess I'll put that on my plate of NUTs for tomorrow!
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm so glad mine is done. However, I haven't heard back from IRS re: tax refund being put toward next year's taxes. I remember other years getting some sort of notice, maybe they don't do that any more?

Dee I was wondering how your DSon is doing with all his plowing paperwork that you used to help him with. You don't talk about that much any more.

Return to “Organization and Simplification Tools”