Today's Organizing Tip

A place for organizing, simplifying, checklists, challenges and ta-das.
ejagno

Organizing Meds

Postby ejagno » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Years ago while struggling in the middle of the night to find one little bottle of anti-nausea medicine I decided it was time to rethink how our meds were stored. This came on the heels of being woke up several time by DH who couldn't seem to find the Benadryl to combat hives or a teenage son desperately seeking an Aleve following a sports injury. As most of us do I began combing the aisles looking for just the right container, box or bin to organize these meds in. Nothing on the container aisles would work so I gave up and continued my shopping which lead me to the home improvement department for sandpaper. There it was, a box with 16 individual pull out drawers intended for the storage of various nails, bolts, screws and washers. It was perfect. I took all of these drawers and filled them with meds and wrote the exp. date using washable marker on the front and labeled each drawer.
Cough
Allergy/Sinus
Headache/Fever
Diarrhea
Earache
Eyes
Throat
Antacid
Muscle Pain
Cuts
Burns
Mouth/Toothache
Anti itch
Cold/Flu

Now there is no more sifting through 30 bottles and boxes to find what we need, when we need it day or night.

ejagno

Coffee Station

Postby ejagno » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 am

I am the queen of using various items in ways they were never intended. I'd been struggling with the fact that every morning I had to open a cabinet to reach inside this plastic bag for a coffee filter, yet another canister for coffee grounds, another for sugar and another for creamer......................all for one little cup of coffee. There had to be a way to simplify this I thought so off to the store I went. They sure had a lot of canisters but nothing fitting my needs. It was in the bath aisle at Bed, Bath & Beyond that I found the perfect coffee station. It was designed to sit on the back of the toilet to hold things like Bubble bath, cotton balls, Q-tips and those little round cotton face pads. The biggest holds a bag of coffee grounds. The large container holds the coffee filters perfectly. The middle container fits 3 cups of sugar exactly. The smaller container holds 1.5 cups of powdered creamer. They all came on this wonderful acrylic tray. On the next aisle I found a stainless toothbrush holder that holds a teaspoon like it was made for it. There was just enough room on the tray to place this as well. All of this sits so nicely right next to my coffee maker and no more bulky canisters or bags to deal with each morning as it's all right there at my fingertips and looks really nice. Everyone always wants to know where I found this coffee center. LOL

Return to “Organization and Simplification Tools”