Paper-Tamers' Challenge - Tame by April, 2015

A place for organizing, simplifying, checklists, challenges and ta-das.
Harriet

Paper-Tamers' Challenge - Tame by April, 2015

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:46 am

Okay, don't panic.

There's no need for this sort of thing at all :

(there was a cute link here, but it ended.)

Instead, consider posting with us here. We're all with you in this struggle!

We'd love to be your reporting spot, sounding board, cheering section. Maybe you have tips, ideas, methods that help you, and might help us! We could use it!

blessedw2

Re: Paper-Tamers' Challenge - Tame by April, 2015

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:20 am

Loved the picture.. perfect! Actually that is how I was beginning to feel...lol

goal 1: purge all old papers through files that are no longer necessary (I think letting go will help me have freedom to move forward instead of getting confused before I even start.) still going at it at 6:17 pm :D done 9:09 pm :D
- today dh is shredding all statements prior to 2013 - I had kept things from 2004 eek. :D

what worked the best for me in 2014 and will continue in 2015 ...
having moleskin 5 x 7 lined books (1 book for each month) - has spending and budget - different colors for each month (set up now for whole year) :D
having a 3 x 5 moleskin line book in my purse to list spending as I go. as well to write reminders in
having a calendar in my purse
putting statements in monthly folders jan through dec
buying dh a shredder

what didn't work last year...
too much fuss with receipts... I kept my receipts for everything by month... a whole lot of unnecessary work that made unnecessary clutter. I kept one receipt out of all of them
not having a set place for my budget and spending monthly books.. can't find them
not having a set desk day
not having a set desk area until the end of last year.
not having a home for anything for bills, budgets or desk anything
having larger size lined books
spiral notebooks never work for me

what didn't work for years and I am now changing... putting charge card bills in envelopes (after checking) and marking them with date and previous balance and current balance (what a mess) ... dd younger has notes from school in individual binders - i.e. physics, music etc. (placing them in there when she gets home)... she can see everything and it works. She lets go of things when semester is over .. dh does this with his checking account for two years ... it works for him... he attaches the deposit slips to the statement (I have to think about this) all 2013 and prior cc printed monthly statements gone. :D
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:04 pm

hopefully tomorrow"

setting up new binder for 2015 for checking/charge card -
figure out spending I did in December, November 2014

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:18 pm

something I thought was neat .. my d sis in laws have a small in purse 3 x 5 calendar where they write where they go etc. on each day.. they save them in a box (these are lovely born organized women... so one box is not a big deal... they have saved them for over 25 years and it has been so neat to see some of the places and things they have done over the years especially the births etc of family members. They find the same book calendars every year.. how I don't know... I would never be able to find the same.. I have done it for 2 years (not as neat) but it was neat to look back to what I was doing and where my family has been including surprise visits from friends, dinners etc.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:57 am

todays goal: scan the papers I have been pulling out of magazines and dejunk the ones on my computer I no longer want

dh and I have decided to add up our amounts from each month and see what we spent on each category. Last year we had so many things happen financially - all the appliances breaking, surgeries, bathroom leaking and having to be replaced, work inside and outside. so that will be part of our day today - we want to get this done before all of the tax things start pouring in

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:02 pm

each day I am going through my papers... and listing what isn't working and what is so I can get a better idea of staying organized

today:

what didn't work
putting all my unused check books (in their cardboard boxes from the bank) in front hall misc drawer (in a rush I grab a book and it is never in order) I don't use checks, as much, these days.
trying: putting all my checks not used in order (out of boxes) in a check box dh gave me.
-keeping receipts more than a month.. now only keeping important ones... ie washer dryer camera until it is out of warranty
-keeping paper lined graph etc. in multiple places.. I had them downstairs, upstairs in bedrooms, dining room where dh keeps his files in cabinet and front hall cabinet - now only in dh's cabinet and in file box of extra paper (in marked see through box) on shelf in office area

done :D
my 2015 checking account is set up, all my checks are now in one place.
shredding done
recycling done
current check book in top drawer as I usually use debit card
all receipts logged and then recycled

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 am

I am making progress!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:31 pm

dd younger files are marked and updated. I have tabs on things Pink for health files, Green for money, receipts, warranties, bank account checking/saving statements and other things in this area, Yellow - School anything (like the school bus), and Orange - Personal - activities, clubs, etc.

All my files are now current and marked.

My 2014/2015 monthly spending folders are together and set up
where I keep by month: checking statement, credit card statements, my 5x7 budget and spending book (with totals)
2014 is red tabs with manilla file folders(expandable)
2015 is green tabs " " " " " with the new books already set up... each book is ready for writing in daily
Keeping this in front cabinet that is empty except for my current check book - thank you d harriet for the declutter zone of the front hall
I have a see through 8 x 4 zip lock envelope for stamps and return labels in front

Dh printed the tax forms that our accountant sent us via email.
Backed up my computer finally

I have matching (fit together) see through containers small, medium, etc. marked appropriately
Tabs - I like the sticky colorful ones
Labels
3 x 5 cards not used
Envelopes
file folders/reg. folders/project folders one box
extra paper/graph/blank paper/5x7 yellow lined pads
photo page protectors
page protectors
extras of pencils, pens, etc.
and more.
new moleskin books (extra)
check books

dd younger has her brushes, colored pencils, water pencils in one box marked (in her room under her bed)
art paper, oil paints etc. in another box.. (ditto)

I now have a holder: a few pens, pencils, permanent markers, highlighter, post notes, 3 x 5 blank cards and current spending book all set up on my desk.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:00 am

the other day I was going to scan pictures I had pulled out of magazines for years but am tossing most of them because I can find them on pinterest
I recycled almost all - kept a couple and put them into 2 folders house and garden :D

dh started the income tax files

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:52 pm

still can't find my budget books from January to June 2014 I have no idea where they are at. :? ;)

Return to “Organization and Simplification Tools”