iPod Touch, iPhone the "new" PDA?

Electronically organize and hold information to print for the family to use. Set up, maintain, and fine-tune your system here.
Twins' Mom

iPod Touch, iPhone the "new" PDA?

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I just had a revelation....those who have followed our PWYC discussion may recall my statement that Palm technology is "dead," i.e. a dead end....in general new Palms aren't being developed and the Palm OS isn't being updated and I'm still using a Palm that gets wonky now and then. I just recently had to do the hard reset and sync to get the touch screen working again.

An iPod Touch will do all the things my Palm will, and apps are being developed and released daily. And the 8GB iPod touch costs about the same as the Palm I'm currently using, although I can't tell how much storage I need in an iPod Touch if I used it for calendar, contacts, portable genealogy, lists and a game or two. :D
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LurkyLou

Re: iPod Touch, iPhone the "new" PDA?

Postby LurkyLou » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Twins! I got an IPod Touch for Christmas! LOVE it! I'm rather slow computer-wise and my poor ds is a bit tired of me asking him to repeat again! how to download a podcast, but I'm getting better. I have a 16g touch and I'm sure I haven't scratched the surface yet of what it can handle. I'm trying to decide if I want my routines listed on it or just a note in the calendar reminding me of what zone/focus I should be working on, cause I do have them in a small notebook in the den. (It needs tweaking.) I'll be looking around for various apps that may help me, if you see something you think would be good, be sure to tell! But, I'm so excited about this little machine!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 pm

Lou, thanks for posting this; I'm glad you're having a good experience with the set up.

I know I'm whining but I just hate to walk myself back through the set up for the Palm if the thing is on its last legs, and I'd also love to be able to "consolidate" the electronic devices that I currently carry: Palm, iPod and phone.

The other thing holding me back is just spending the $$ for it if I don't have to. In that sense, Kathryn's Compact experience has rubbed off on me, and OTOH, we do have a Treo phone/palm combo that dh doesn't use anymore that I could move into. OTOH, he updates his own phone technology about every year or two and always has the newest and best so perhaps I shouldn't hesitate....but OTOH....I could go on and on endlessly!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LurkyLou

Postby LurkyLou » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:56 am

I guess no one needs an I-touch or even a Palm...we could make do with a spiral notebook, but these are more convenient. Whichever you choose, you'll have the info for whenever you do decide to get one.
I just added a grocery list and a to-do list to the touch. It was so easy--even for me :lol: I was surprised that Mac didn't think to include a to-do list on this, but the one I chose was only 2.99, so no biggie. It has the ability to repeat the task, so that works for me for my weeklies. I don't think I'll put Indiana's focus thread on the touch right now, I may just save that for my home notebook. Might change my mind later though!

happylittlemom

Postby happylittlemom » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:06 pm

"Habits" is a fun little program too which I think I'm going to try to put my routine things into. "Things" is a program that works well if you like GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen)

Bannod

Postby Bannod » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:59 pm

I've had an iPhone since Day 1 and I've never regretted spending the bucks. I also upgraded to the latest iPhone when they came out. My best friend and I recently spent a week in San Francisco just wandering around, but never lost because the GPS chip always knew where we were. If we were looking for a specific restaurant (Wolfgang Puck's Postrio) I just googled it and tapped on their phone number to call for reservations. Couldn't be simpler!

I'm glad a lot of the old Palm applications have been ported over to the iPhone, especially SplashShopper and SplashID, and especially thankful they have desktop applications for the Mac.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:11 pm

I just got an iPhone. Getting it was quite the adventure, as I specifically wanted a white one, 16 Gig. So far it's amazing.

Does anybody know what SHE-oriented apps are out there? somebody mentioned Splashshopper, and I did use that on my old Palm.

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:22 am

An update on the iPhone.

I use a Mac recipe app named MacGourmet. The developer has created an iTouch/iPhone app that will allow you to transfer your recipes and grocery list from the iMac to the iPhone. I don't like/use the grocery list part, because it's the usual mess of all the ingredients in the recipes you selected for the meal plan. :( I do use the recipe part a LOT. It's much easier to bring my iPhone into the kitchen than to print out a recipe whenever I want to cook something! A real bonus for me is the timer function built in to the iTouch/iPhone. I just set my dough to rise, and set a timer for the rising time. Or the baking time. Or the time until the washer gets done. Get the idea?

I use an app called Groceries (not iGroceries) after trying about 4 of them. It's not perfect, but it allows assigning a food to a store as well as a store section. If only somebody would make a decent price book app for it. :idea:

Motivated1

Postby Motivated1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 pm

I need help with the 'Things' software that I just bought for my new ipod touch. i want to put my am and evening routines in, but they don't stay in order. What am I doing wrong? Does that belong in the projects section? I just got both this weekend. I have forever hoped for an electronic SHE sysytem so I could get rid of the cards. (As they get dumped, kids dig through, etc.) help?

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:17 am

Mo - does it want to put them in alphebetical or numeric order?
I used to use ical on my mac and there were some lists I had to 'manipulate' with a prefex or a prioroty marker to have them stay in order.

(Eventually I had too much on there for the memory/popup reminders to cope with and ical would freeze perminantly. In the end by mistake I trashed it in error - thinking I was just wiping its memory. )

Hoping you have better luck / advice from someone who knows about ipod stuff will have some real info for you.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “PDA and Computer”