Collecting Contact Information

Electronically organize and hold information to print for the family to use. Set up, maintain, and fine-tune your system here.
catnipper

Collecting Contact Information

Postby catnipper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Hello All,
I use Excel to collect the contact information from all the scraps of paper, cardfiles, address books and piles of envelopes. Now it's all in one place. I have columns for First Name, Last Name, Street, City, State, Zip, Phone, Cell Phone, Email, Website. Just fill in what you have for those you need to connect with.
I also use Excel to back up my checkbook. Simply go into help for Excel and enter "checkbook". Excel will give you the formula to set up your spreadsheet to match the paper register. This also makes it easier to balance your checkbook--a task I can finish in 20 minutes now.
I collect my recipes as Word documents, but as a web designer I also created an online cookbook with all the family recipes some which came from my grandmothers and great-grandmothers! The recipes are sorted by category: main dishes, side dishes, salads, desserts, and vegetables, then the main dishes and desserts are divided into sub categories such as soups, sandwiches, or cookies, cakes, and pies. This allows the family to choose recipes for meals during the week without asking for the recipes or saying "I don't know where they are".
If I had a PDA I could put all this there, but I don't yet.

Indiana

Re: Collecting Contact Information

Postby Indiana » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:56 pm

catnipper thank you for all the tips.

I use a software package for my recipes. I can have several cookbooks and categories. I have all the recipes under one title and as I put them on my blog I move them to the other cookbook.

Your excel tip was a great one. Some banks will even have a mechanism to download your activity directly into the sheet.

Twins' Mom

Re: Collecting Contact Information

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:25 am

I use Excel for a lot of lists but particularly for notes about the two parties that we have annually. I add a tab at the bottom for each year, and keep a list of who was invited and who attended and what the menu was. I use Documents to go and sync it to my Palm so I can consult it on the go or at work.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “PDA and Computer”