Do we Need an Afternoon Routine?

AM, PM. daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, and cleaning routines become habit and make life flow smoothly.
Ivy

Do we Need an Afternoon Routine?

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello! :D Villagers, I have a question, which is "sort of" a problem, I think, but I'm not sure.

I do really great on my morning and evening routines! But after my lunch, until the evening news comes on, I sort of do whatever the day dictates. Such as, when the mail comes, if I need to write somebody back immediately, I'll drop everything to get that done. If I'm tired, I'll take a nap or at least will rest, if I cannot sleep. Sometimes I watch TV, sometimes I listen to music, journal, or read. Sometimes I work on writing a story or read stories in magazines. Other times I find myself doing a laundry catch-up and housework. It's so flexible! :!: Is this a good thing? :?: Or am I playing into that "Sidetracked" person?

I'm wondering if I should keep my afternoons flexible and "loosely" planned, follow where my heart leads me or where my health leads me that particular day? :?:

I don't know if I should make a 3 x 5 card especially with "afternoon choices". I don't want to be strict or too structured with myself because DH is very flexible and he just does what he wants when he wants to and he does good going with the flow like that. I sort of feel on the "lazy" side because I'm not always busy in the afternoons, but I'm happy. I wonder if I waste time too much or if it's important that I NOT be hemmed in by an afternoon schedule.

I'm curious as to what other Villagers do. Not having children at home, I'm luckier than a lot of ladies and not having a job outside the home, I'm lucky, too. I work from home. Maybe I should just count my blessings and be happy with my afternoons, where they're at? And accept the fact that I'm NOT "lazy" and my morning and evening routines are working out wonderfully for me. :D

What do you others do with your afternoons? :?: Just curious.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Do we Need an Afternoon Routine?

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 am

When kids were small I had an after school routine card.

You might consider one for Desk day pay bills schedule appointments, make phone calls things like that.
Another for busy day or errand day get stamps, mail letters, pay bills, return library books, fill Rx, book club.
One for cleaning or every other day this is what P & P suggest.
Like a light cleaning day and heavy cleaning day.
Fun or me time card crafts sewing knitting things you like to do.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Nancy, I just wrote down your suggestions on an index card. :D Thanks for the ideas.

I need to re-make myself some every other day cleaning cards. And I have plenty to put on a Desk day card, too! :idea: Keeping a lighter cleaning day separate from heavy cleaning day is a great idea, too. I love the sound of making a Fun Things card, too. :D

Thank you for the ideas. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 pm

I apologize that somehow I've missed new posts in several of our forums lately. I almost never used to do that - I must be too busy!

I should say, Ivy, as you mentioned in your first post, I still have a school-age child plus new eldercare so it's not surprising I need all the dailies I can manage! LOL! That doesn't mean others need them. But checking through others' schedules does tend to jog our memories on some things that could be placed differently in our days.

Anyway, here I am late, with my "Afternoon Daily Card" which takes 30 minutes:

Sort Mail - following through to desk/magazine rack, etc.
Plan Supper - making tea, setting table if necessary *
Clean Bath - (daily front bathroom spif)
Catch up! - is Morning Daily Card complete? (laundry, usually)
Floors - sweeping only, unless there's a mess!

And here are my notes to myself about afternoons:

"Have a nutritious lunch, finishing supplements. Check how much water is still to drink. The rest of the afternoon is Project Time!"

* The table being set is no longer happening now that my ddad lives here, btw. He wants his supper earlier than anyone else and can't usually eat what we eat anyway, so I never prepare the table for us early any more. That would just confuse him. Nowadays, however, I do set the table for him during the afternoon and make sure his tea is poured and at room temperature as he wants. The table gives him a visual clue as to what time of day it is.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 am

I've sort of have fallen into an afternoon routine now:

- watch the news, which crocheting, or writing in my journal.
- walking for 1/2 hour or doing something physical on the house, for activity.
- sort the mail, sometimes answer mail.
- try to take a nap after lunch, if I'm drowsy enough.
- turn the laundry around, put out hot spots, put napkins and silverware on the place mats for dinner.
- give my kitty treats and fresh water.
- work on my calendar reminders.
- read or write for work.

Then, the day sort of floats into the evening, when the news comes on. We either watch the news or DH flips back and forth between a baseball game or old movie and the news. It depends upon what's on the news. If it's something, which has been beaten to death in the news for several days, we've heard too much, and would rather not hear it again, he flips the channel.

It's nice how I've sort of "floated" into my afternoon routine. It's a more laid back time for us at our house. :D :D

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 am

Recently, I put together most of my Home Journal, via info from CEO, in her latest book, another book of hers and her website. I just have a Morning Routine and Before Bed Routine. At the end of the Morning Routine, I list things I do at lunchtime and the Before Bed Routine has some things we do in the late afternoon. Hence, it's not necessary, really, to have a specific extra Afternoon Routine. Anyway, it's working for me.
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:05 pm

I need this
after lunch
nap
walk (no set time)
2:00 pm meds.
3:00 hen chores
4-ish think about dinner & h come home.
Check laundry
process mail

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:26 am

I don't do cards anymore.
I do a Holiday Journal - Home Journal and CEO's chore lists, filled in.
I write a PODA nightly, get up, cross of items, as I go throughout the day.
I make calendar email reminders. They, too, help me keep on track.
I do the FlyLady system, too. She helps me a lot, along with the ideas in CEO's latest book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Organized - Fast Track," By Cynthia Ewer. It's great.
I do specific jobs on specific days. I keep them in my head now, because they've been routine for such a long time.
It's easier for me to simplify by using a PODA and Home Journal, than numerous cards.
I tried the cards, at various times in my life, but every time, I found them more confusing to me, than a PODA was.
I don't know why, either. It's always been that way. Me v.s. the cards. But a binder for a Home Journal works.
So strange to me. I don't know why I cannot make myself adapt to cards, because it's working out so splendidly for everyone else. :?
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:16 am

FF -- don't feel bad that you aren't working the cards! I have cards, but I mostly just reshuffle them. They help me to remember new stuff (most of which is duplicated on my calendar(s) as well) -- but stuff like getting my hair cut. I have a card for that. I did it Friday so I put the card back in on Dec. 14, so I'll know when I need to start planning to make my next appt -- probably by Dec. 21 or at least Dec. 28, you know, six weeks. Same with doctor's and dentist's appts.

Today, however, I had a card to change sheets. That did not get done. But the card is a reminder that it HAS TO be done tomorrow or Monday.

Really, I do much better with a daily checklist like you described. I like to see stuff marked off.

However, this week, I have done NOTHING to mark off at all. I've just felt tired and lazy and I've done nothing all week.
Tomorrow is another day.

DawnElise

Postby DawnElise » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:05 am

Note to self: try this for awhile:

Afternoon Reminders

1. Mail - follow thru like Harriet -to bill basket, etc.
2. Spiff up front bathroom
3. Is laundry wrapped up?
4. Sweep crumbs around edges of kitchen floor

I like this :)

Return to “Routines”