My routines...

AM, PM. daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, and cleaning routines become habit and make life flow smoothly.
Cowinkie

My routines...

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 pm

These are my weekly routines..I'm gonna list them horizontally to save space...Monday - House Blessing: Vacuum, Dust, mop, polish mirrors and doors, purge magazines, Change sheets. Tue - Free day. Wed - Zone and Desk time: Finish zone cleaning chores, clean refrig, dump anything dead, cards and thank you notes, Grocery list, pay bills. Thur.- Grocery and Errands: Library, Post Office, Grocery, produce, misc. errands. Friday - Paper and Misc.: wash car, clean Fred the fish, File papers, clean out purse, clean laundry room.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Cowinkie

Re: My routines...

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 pm

my daily cards change during the school year...guess you would call these my working dailies...
Morning Daily
Make bed, carry any stray clothes to laundry
Laundry - grab one load and start.
Dishes - empty dishwasher
Make breakfast and coffee
Eat and watch the news --- this is also *Me Time*. I might visit the Village or write
Pick up footprints.
Shower, get dressed, swish bathroom
Load car...poof

Some mornings I shower first and get dressed. It just depends on how I feel when I get up. I like my mornings slow and easy...Sweetie is usually sleeping, so this is the time I have to myself. I LOVE mornings :D

After school...or I guess you would say, when I get home :D
Hug and kiss Sweetie ;)
Sort, shred and file mail.
Make supper
flip laundry
Sit and talk with Sweetie

After dinner
clean kitchen
Make tomorrow's lunch
fold and put away laundry
get clothes ready for morning
put "stuff" on DR table for morning...like lunch, water and whatever I need to take to work.
relax
get ready for bed
read
Listen to radio in bed with Sweetie before and after lights out. Sweetie has even designed earplug speakers so we can listen to the radio as long as each of us wants without annoying the other.

I am a Lark, NOT an owl. I am in bed by 9 unless Law and Order or The Closer is on. I can't record anything right now...if I could, I would record those and be ready for bed by then. I would much rather get up at 5 than go to bed at 10. Old habit from when my DS was little. When I first started doing P&P I would have all my morning routine done by 7am. While I was living in New Orleans and DS was little, I would open my front door, which was red, and leave my screen door shut. Back then Morning routine included sweeping my front side walk. After I moved, my old friends said it was really sad for them to get up in the morning, look over at my house, and see that door shut. That was nice to know. Wouldn't P&P been proud??? Especially if you had seen my house 3 years prior to that. :lol: It took babysteps, but after I got the hang of the cards and routines, I knew I was NEVER going back to my old ways!!!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Cowinkie -- where do you fit in the BWP during the school year -- I mean, do you still try to do the House Blessing on Monday, before dinner? Or when? Or do you spread it out over the whole week then? And do you have to do schoolwork at home, too? I'm CONSTANTLY bringing papers home to grade.
Tomorrow is another day.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:29 am

I have to ask..... what are footprints?? I've seen them mentioned on a few occasions, but have never known what on earth they are!
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:02 pm

Lucylee...This year my grading will double, my student case load...IEP meetings and such will greatly increase (co-teacher will be out for up to 3 months at the beginning of school and I will cover for her) and I will be moving 10 miles further from school, so I bet there will be some adjusting.

In the past, I blessed the house before I went to school with anything I could do that was quiet...Sweetie is usually still asleep. Then I would come home and finish it after school. I would grumble about it until I realized I had extra help sitting in the other room...Now I ask Sweetie to help, and he does. After all, this is a shared house, we are partners, and he knows how to work the vacuum :D In the new house, the floor plan is split...MBR on one side of the living area, Kitchen and rest of the house on the other. I know from past experience to set up my *box* and see what happens. Within a month, some sort of patter will appear, and I will adjust from there. I am moving to a house twice as big as this one...and eventually will have a pool and backyard that will need my attention. I came from a house that was bigger than the one I'm moving to, with a yard and such, and I worked even farther away than what I will be, so I know what I am able to do.

Grading papers is another matter. I have a student assistant that helps with the easy stuff and I try only to give one assignment a week that I'm willing to really give my attention to. I wrote somewhere last night that I am a lark. I also have a weekly plan for my classroom that I follow. I get distracted VERY easily, and my co-workers have learned not to think I am being rude if I close my door and ignore them...especially in the mornings. That is the best time for me to work. So twice a week I come in 1 hr. early and grade papers. I'm dead by the end of the day, so thats when I clean my "sink* (desk) and work on my zones. I use my planning periods for just that...planning and only allow myself to socialize with my friends during Fridays...Its a pattern I set up when I started using my box in school and it works for me. I know my strengths and weakness and I adjust accordingly. With football games, drama productions and the such, it can get hairy, but I find my routines both at school and at home is what brings me harmony into my life. Like I said earlier...after living in chaos for so long, the thought of going back to my old ways scares me enough keep me doing my routines.

Bittersweet...footprints are the things you leave laying around the house. Like you ice tea glass on the coffee table, or the newspaper or your clothes on the floor. Anything that is out of place enough that someone else...in my case Sweetie...can tell where you've been. Once HE pointed that out to me, keeping this small house in shape has been a snap.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:16 pm

Bsweet -- I think I am explaining footprints correctly --
Footprints are the things you leave behind that give evidence you were there -- for example, the Sonic cup that sat on the computer room bookshelf for three days... that was definitely a footprint. :oops: The watermelon slice that dh left on the counter last night... another footprint. The knife in the sink... newspapers on the floor... drink bottle on the floor... shoes under the coffee table...
So "clear footprints" means you go through and get all that stuff out of sight and back where it's supposed to be! :)

OH -- I see Cowinkie is here already! I'll leave mine there anyway, so y'all can see what sort of footprints we create, LOL. Ours don't stick around long, though, b/c dh is so obsessive about stuff. The watermelon was eaten around 1:00 a.m., I think. The Sonic cup was, of course, mine...

Thanks for the routine info also. Since I am apparently more of an owl than a lark, I guess I would do best to work with myself instead of against myself... BUT... OTOH, as you said, I am just about dead by the end of the day, usually, too.
I do know this, though -- if I can force myself to stay at it, stay in work mode for 15-30 minutes, when I get home from school, or right after supper -- well, that makes a HUGE difference in how things go around here.
Knowing and doing are two different things, though. :oops: When one is exhausted, the couch and the afghan sure do look a lot better than the vacuum cleaner!
Tomorrow is another day.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:34 pm

Lucylee...I walk through my door, change my clothes if needed and just do. If I even start to think about it...I don't :lol:

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Here are my biggest two hints that keep me on track. By doing this I was amazed at how much faster I could clean my house. This is the first thing I do before I even begin to clean my house.

1. Use a clean laundry basket to put your footprints in as you work around your house. If you find a book in the living room and it belongs in your bedroom, put it in the basket and put it away when you are in the bedroom. Chances are you will find other items that belong in your bedroom as you pick up your footprints...or your family's ...around the house. If you are in a two story, this keeps you from running up and down the stairs. Trust me, I was really bad at this until I started using my laundry basket.

2. If you are easily distracted like me, put the laundry basket in the room's doorway...like the bedroom door that goes out the the rest of your house. This works as a physical reminder to stay in the room that you are working in until you have completed what you need to do. Why??? Because it keeps you focused and you don't end up running all around the house. Work Smarter, not Longer ;)

Like I said earlier, I clean this house from right to left. I start in the master bathroom and work my way around my house.

I vacuum and mop in the same order and all at once. I don't like to stop once I get in the groove. Its what works for me.

Here is my House Blessing list....I've been doing this for so long I almost don't need to look at it.

DUSTING
* All furniture
* Wall hangings
* Bookshelves and Decorations
* Window sills
* Blinds
* Lamps and lampshades
* Cabinets and door sills
* Dinningroom/eating area table and chairs

KITCHEN
* Counter tops and back splashes
* Small appliances
* Outside of refrigerator
* Inside of refrigerator
* Dump anything dead in refrigerator
* Outside of oven
* Glass Fronts
* Microwave
* Sink
* dishwasher
* Cabinets dusted

BATHROOMS
* Tub and Shower
* Shower tile and doors Sweetie does his :-)
* Toilets
* Mirror
* Vanities and Toiletries

****** Last on the list.... Clean out the vacuum cleaner. I hate that chore, but hate it even more if my vacuum is filled when I start and I have to clean it then.

My house is 2400 square feet. If I keep to the routine I can clean my house in 4 hrs. Just have to stay focused. ;-)

Return to “Routines”