Potato salad

CathyS

Potato salad

Postby CathyS » Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 pm

How do you make yours?

Dh wants me to make the potato salad. I have boiled potatoes which will cool overnight and boiled eggs that will cool overnight as well.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Re: Potato salad

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun May 09, 2021 7:35 pm

I don't have a recipe. I just add things until the potato salad tastes the way we like it.

Potatoes
Hard-boiled eggs
Dill relish
Sweet relish
miracle whip
mustard
Finely Chopped Onion. DH and I love raw onions but if I'm making potato salad that will be eaten by others then I just add a little ground onion powder.
Finely Chopped Celery

DH prefers potato salad freshly made when it is still warm. He doesn't like it cold. Weird, huh?
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 09, 2021 10:51 pm

I use mayo instead of miracle whip.
Adding bacon is a hit.
And 1 T. Ranch dressing.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun May 09, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun May 09, 2021 11:05 pm

I don't have a recipe either, I just know how it looks as I add stuff. And the way I make it, this recipe is too late, but here goes.

I cook the potatoes and peel and cut them up. While they're still warm I marinate them in a little french dressing and put them in the refrigerator. After a bit when they're cool I add chopped celery, some bacon pieces, pimento, olives chopped up and the hard boiled eggs chopped up. I use whatever mayo I have on hand but I put some olive oil and some apple vinegar salt and pepper and mix it up into a dressing...if it's a bit sour a pinch or 2 of sugar fixes that. Mix it all up and chill overnight or at least a few hours. It's the way my DMom made it except for the olive oil and vinegar. I read that in a cookbook once. People always ask me what the orange-y color is (from the french dressing) because it's unusual. It keeps the potatoes from getting that "cold potato" taste.

Return to “Recipes”