1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups milk
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup nuts; chopped
1 1/2 sticks butter; melted
whipped cream

Mix together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and milk. Pour into a 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle box of yellow cake mix over top. Spread chopped nuts evenly over top of cake mix. Drizzle melted butter over all. Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 375 degrees. Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip.

Contributor: Sonoma United Methodist Church

Yield: 15 servings

Contributor: Indiana
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Emptynester

Fast Fixin' Spice "n" Apple Cake

Postby Emptynester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 pm

Fast Fixin' Spice "n" Apple Cake

1 package spice cake mix
1/4 cup oil
2 large eggs
20 ounce can apple pie filling

Preheat oven to 350.

Pour oil into a 13x9 pan. Tilt pan until bottom is covered with oil. Put cake mix, eggs, and apples into pan; stir until blended (about 2 minutes). Scrape sides and spread batter evenly in pan.

Bake 35 - 45 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Cooled cake may be sprinkled with powdered sugar. Use a knife to loosen cake from sides; cut and serve directly from pan.

Yield: 16 - 20 serving

Contributor: Duncan Hines

My Variation:

Substitute caramel cake mix for spice cake mix. (very good)

Substitute chocolate cake mix for spice cake mix and substitute cherry pie filling for apple pie filling.

― C.S. Lewis

Emptynester

Dump Cake

Postby Emptynester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Dump Cake

1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple; in syrup, undrained
1 20 ounce can cherry pie filling
1 package yellow cake mix
1 cup pecans; chopped
1/2 cup butter; sliced thin

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan

2. Spoon undrained pineapple into pan; spread evenly. Add pie filing and
spread in even layer. Sprinkle dry cake mix onto cherry layer; spread
evenly. Sprinkle pecans over cake mix. Place butter over top.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 48 to 53 minutes. Serve warm or cool.

― C.S. Lewis

ellyphant

Re: Cake Recipes

Postby ellyphant » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Love to make "Dump Cake" as shown above, but I also sprinkle shredded coconut on top.

Today I mixed up a yellow cake mix (this one included cherry chips, which are little bits of fake cherries) according to directions on box and then dotted the mixture with light cherry pie filling from a can. Baked it and cake rose up over cherries. No frosting needed. It's delicious! Next time, however, I will add less water to mix or cook for 5 extra minutes or so. This would be great with a chocolate mix, I think, also.

I see this is very similar to the apple cake listed here. Great minds think alike!
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Harriet

Re: Cake Recipes

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:07 pm

How-tos for arranging fruits on a LAYER cake of Pineapple Upside Down Cake so that it's still pretty on top but easily cut into equal slices:

You need pineapple rings and crushed pineapple, maraschino cherries.

Cut 3 pineapple rings into 3rds, and onto the brown sugar/butter-ed bottoms of a cake pan, put 8 pieces around the edge, with cut edges touching pan sides, which will leave a little space between for a knife. (I happen to have 8-inch cake pans - 9-inch should work fine, and should let you get 9 slices!)

Cut 2 rings into 4ths and angle each from edges of the first pieces toward the cake center, all same direction. When the sugar/buttered pan shows through in a sunburst shape in the middle, they are even. Envision the 8 pie-shaped slices, with knife able to dodge the fruit.

Cut 4 maraschino cherries and place one half upside-down alongside each of the quarter-rings, tucked tight in the crevice their partial holes make, and put an additional maraschino half in the cake center.

For lower layer, so that a knife will easily cut slices, I just drained a small can crushed pineapple and put that over the sugar/butter evenly. Some leftover cherries, I quartered and put on around the edges of the lower layer for fun.

A completely unnecessary addition I made (because - perfectionism) was to cut 2 more cherries into quarters and put into "holes" of outer pineapple rings on the top edges, just to match the bottom and offer even more fruit. All stayed on neatly through the plating. Makes me think halves might hold on, too, and get more credit.

HRH loves the dark brown sugar look, contrasting with cake at sides. Light, or half-and-half, would be sunny looking, with cherries standing out. Another idea might be frosting the sides, but we think they are pretty left "nude" to show the layering.

I used the trick of wet toweling strips around the edges of the pans during baking for keeping layers flatter, but it's probably not necessary.

Return to “Recipes”