Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon chocolate flavoring; optional
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cup flaked coconut

Melt chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler or in a microwave oven. Set aside and cool to room temperature.

Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixer bowl and beat at high speed, using a whip, until peaks are formed. Add sugar gradually while continuing to beat at high speed. Add flavorings and salt to meringue, beating at low
speed. Add melted chocolate, continuing to beat at slow speed. Remove the whip and stir the coconut into the meringue with a spoon.

Drop by heaping tablespoon onto a cookie sheet that have been sprayed with pan spray or lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes, or until macaroons are not quite firm.

Store loosely covered in a container er in a dry place at room temperature. Keep in a loosely covered container in a dry place at room temperature, or freeze until needed.

Yield: 20 servings

Food Exchanges per serving: 2/3 starch + 1 fat exchange cal: 86

Source: Desserts for Diabetics

Indiana

Re: Dessert Recipes

Postby Indiana » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:32 pm

French Apple Clafouti

4 cup granny smith or rome apples; peeled & thinly sliced
1 1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour; sifted
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 10" nonstick deep pie plate or spray the pan with vegetable pan-coating. Arrange apple slices evenly in pan. Use a blender or food processor to combine milk and eggs. Add remaining ingredients and blend for 5 seconds. Scrape down sides of blender with a spatula and blend until ingredients are mixed together, about 30 seconds. (A bowl and whisk can be used to prepare batter by hand.)

Spread the batter over the apples. Bake for 1 hour or until custard forms and the cake tests done by inserting a toothpick that comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I used whole wheat flour and brown sugar for that called for in the recipe. I also added cinnamon and some fresh nutmeg. It was yummy. Emptynester

Food Exchange per serving: 1 fruit + 1/2 milk cal: 148;

Contributor: The Art of Cooking for the Diabetic

Yield: 8

sedona
Registered

Postby sedona » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Rice Pudding

3 cups white rice, cooked
3 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
Directions
Combine cooked rice, milk, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Add raisins and vanilla. Cook for 25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Mix in lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Spoon pudding into a serving dish and dust with remaining cinnamon. May serve chilled or at room temperature.

I make this without the lemon and raisins usually, I like just plain pudding, but I love cinnamon so I always add that. The lemon zest does add a great "fresh" taste to the pudding without being too lemony though.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:45 pm

I have made this many times and like that it is not as sweet as most rice pudding dessert recipes.
I always leave out the sugar and add more raisins.
I also usually add a bit of butter to melt over the top of the serving.
The only difficult part is that you must watch it carefully and stir during cooking so the milk doesn't scorch.

Rice Pudding Cereal from Jane Brody's GOOD FOOD BOOK

3 cups COOKED rice, white or brown (freshly cooked or leftover, any type as long as it was cooked in water, not broth)
2 cups skim or low-fat milk
1 egg white and 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan, and mix them well. Cook over moderate heat, stirring it now and then, until it has thickened (about 5 minutes after the milk reaches a boil).

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Stirred Rice Pudding

3 cups milk
1/3 cup long grain rice
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

In a heavy medium saucepan bring milk to boiling stir in uncooked rice and raisins. Cover, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes or till most of the milk is absorbed. (Mixture may appear curdled.) Stir in sugar and vanilla. Spoon into dessert dishes. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve warm or chilled.

Source: Better Homes and Garden Cookbook

Serves 5 or 6

Here is a third rice pudding to try. Sometimes I will only put in 2 tablespoons sugar.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Thu May 28, 2009 3:48 pm

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/cr ... 62754.aspx

SF Layered Squares

This turned out great!!! Fast, easy and tastes wonderful.

I only made 3 changes. I used fat free cool whip instead of sugar-free, black cherry jello and threw a handful of blueberries to the final layer. Only 35 calories not counting the blueberries. However there were only 4-5 of them on each square.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

DeeClutter
Administrator

D's Friend Dessert

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:15 am

Crust: 1 stick margarine, 1/4c. nuts, 1 c. flour - Mix together and pat in bottom of 9x13 pan. Bake @ 350
for 20-25 mins.

Cream together: 1 8oz. cream cheese, 1 c. confectionary sugar, 1 c. cool whip

Layer on cooled crust then layer with 2 can Thank You Chocolate pudding ( I haven't been able to find in Fl., only at
Wegman's back home.)
Then spread 1 can (15oz) crushed pineapple well drained on the next layer.
Top with the remainder of the cool whip. 12 oz. size is good. 8 oz will do but then there is not much on the top. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.

It freezes beautifully. 4 pkgs of instant pudding may be used but only use 6 c. of milk not the 8 the pkg calls for. I have never tried it, I always have the Thank You pudding in the cans.

Also can just be chilled for several hours.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Egg custard
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
dash of nut meg.

Whiz in blender & bake until center is set. I cooked mine in crock pot a couple hrs. on high. Yummy for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Next time I do it I'm going to add fruit sugar free pie filling canned type and see how it is.

Return to “Recipes”