Chicogo-Style Pan Pizza

Cowinkie

Chicogo-Style Pan Pizza

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm

This is NOT low calorie..... Sweetie RAVED about this pizza and it is the very first I've ever made. Not going to change a thing.

1 (1-pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
1 LB bulk Italian sausage ( I used the sweet Italian links)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tsp olive oil
8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained ( I used 2 14 ozs cans)
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Directions: ( I have added notes at the bottom because I cooked mine a bit different than these directions.)

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Press thawed dough into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9x13 backing dish.

2. Crumble sausage into a large skillet over medium-high heat, Cook and stir until evenly browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and sprinkle over dough crust. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly.

3. Heat oil in skillet. Add mushrooms, and onion, and cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seeds, and garlic powder. Spoon over mozzarella. Sprinkle Parmesan over top of veggies.

4. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes in preheated oven, or until crust is golden brown.

Additional notes: I cook the dough crust first for about 15 minutes, then add all the toppings. I continue baking the pizza for about another 20 minutes or so, until the crust is golden brown and toppings are all melted and bubbly. Then you don't have to worry about whether the crust is cooked though in the middle of your pizza.

** I also added chopped red peppers...green ones bother me...when cooking the onions and mushrooms. I added sliced olives as I spread the veggies over the pizza before I added the parmesan cheese

** Make sure you drain the tomatoes very well, or else your pizza will be a little soggy.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Return to “Recipes”