12/26/12 getting ready for new years.

Harriet

Re: 12/26/12 getting ready for new years.

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 am

Sure appreciate some other mod - probably BookSaver or Kathryn - who came in and moved the 2011-2012 calendar from announcements into the main threads, which helps. We still have it intact, but now the only calendar up top is the current one.

And there's the Getting Started thread from Indiana, with her own date/handle/avatar right beside it to help. Very cool. I had gotten that one copied and ready, then Kathryn placed it in the Announcements.

I'm delighted that Focus announcements are very explanatory now, in case a new person should come in and need to understand, or whenever any of us need to glance at it.

Also, I did put a (hopefully simplified) schedule into The Decluttered Home explaining Focus/decluttering weeks would fall in January, the way Indiana's last line about each room says.

Hope everybody's home is spiffier than ever in 2013!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 pm

When I first started in the focus thread I felt like a failure if I couldn't do all the list - I didn't listen to the advice to do one thing and be proud. I think it takes time and practice to be positive that it's okay not to do it all.

things I think that take practice: for me.
1. positive thinking.. one item done is great (hard for a beginner in the focus arena.. they look at the list and see it all)
2.time - many jobs are under 15, 10 or 5 minutes but the SHE thinks it takes longer. use the timer for 15 and making a game out of it takes practice
3. getting rid of negative thinking/cutting off the last area - it takes practice to say it's okay and move on
4. pats on the back.celebrate the littlest things, I remember Peggy said she would look in the mirror and say well done...she felt silly at first... I did the same years ago but having that positive voice changes the view of yourself as a mess. I now celebrate the littlest job done even if it means putting away a tea or coffee cup. (I do)
5. sometimes you CAN'T do the focus if you are working on a big project.. do the minimal and it will come again.
6. giving myself a carrot for my work. do something nice for me.
7. use my timer so I don't get too focused and forget to live

8. biggest one for me: breaking a big job into workable parts. I now take a job such as bills or something I know will take hours and do a bit at a time and by the end of the week it's done with out the stress - takes time to learn

my favorite thing that d harriet taught me.. if I can't dejunk or clean take a 2 x2 section
(I do left to right) - i go left to right.

a thing that works for me now: if I start seeing an area Not Working I know I have to dejunk it and put away (I.e my upstairs hall closet isn't working so I need to get in there before it becomes bigger than I can handle).
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Thank you d harriet!!! I appreciate all your hard work and help!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “FOCUS”