2013 FOCUS - Closets - 9/16/13 - Fourth Round

Harriet

2013 FOCUS - Closets - 9/16/13 - Fourth Round

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Here are Indiana's steps to a clean Closet, from February 2, 2009

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes through out the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the rooms to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. I have marked possible times for doing the chore. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

As you do each room dust, vacuum, wash, wipe, wax, sweep, mop, detail, straighten, and declutter any surfaces that need to be done.

Closets

Ceiling and corners - quarterly
Ceiling light - quarterly
Walls - quarterly
Doors and hardware – weekly (finger prints), quarterly
Door and floor trim - quarterly
Light switch - weekly
Dust lights - weekly
Floor – weekly
Wipe mirrors – weekly
Drawers, cupboards, and shelves – quarterly if needed
Manage clutter - daily
Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
Buy – replacements or something new if needed
Declutter – laundry (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread. This is a great opportunity and will make maintaining the closets easier.

Remember not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Use the list as a guide.

Harmony

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Closets - 1/28/13 - First Round

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Well, I've certainly already done this one!

I wish my work was in sync with this focus thread, but I'm doing the places in order of their need and disarray. I am in the kitchen. Once that is done, I will go into the family room and tackle blinds and fans. Big declutter in there was done when we changed the tv furniture.

Then I need to do some things in the guest bath, my office space and the office room, and 1 other bedroom. Oh, I must do some work on the porches first before that as we will be bringing in the back porch chairs to use this Sunday.

Is anybody else following this focus?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi, Harmony! The name of the game is flexibility. :D I find that I'm more able to stick with Focus cleaning after I'm been back to it a while. Any large project like Christmas or big event such as a family illness, etc., can mean rearranging the schedule so that I get to the most necessary areas first. After I feel like I have a handle on it all again in general, then I can get into the swing of the schedule and feel "on track".

I'm actually grateful that "outdoor" and "porch" for the first round after Christmas happen at a time that weather doesn't let me outside anyway. That lets me plug needy areas into those spots first! ;) But generally I love having the Focus schedule and knowing where I am working toward.

Trying to teach more closet cleanliness and organization to dd14 this week. The hanging canvas back-of-door shoe rack has been a huge help to her closet and is keeping shoes up and neat. This way, the floor of the closet is no hassle to vacuum and it's obvious immediately if anything falls. I wish she had a light in her closet, but attempts at that have not been successful. As long as she can open her door wide, though, she's okay. So the area around the closet door becomes just as important.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 pm

You are lucky to get a break from the outside work. It continues year round here. I was just contemplating the planting I need to do soon outside, and both front and back porches need cleaned. Course, we don't shovel snow. I noted how badly the leaves are piling up outside. Our oaks are shedding. I should be working on that. There are just not enough hours in the day...

I suppose once I get through the house and get the major big things done, it will be easier to keep up and do what I'm leaving undone for the next trips through. I need to move on from the kitchen, but first those lights need cleaned, two hanging over the island and one bigger on a chain over the table. And some of the cabinet fronts need wiped. Yep, not enough hours.

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Closets - 4/15/13 - Second Round

Postby BookSaver » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 pm

We're ready for Closets -- Second Round.

Since the Focus area changes each week, I'm finding it easier to do more dejunking without getting overwhelmed trying to finish any one area. It is an ongoing process, there is no finish.

Having this cyclical schedule for Focus has become very helpful to me.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Closets - 4/15/13 - Second Round

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Our offices are begining to look more like closets so now I need to keep that in mind for this round! :roll:

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Closets - 7/1/13 - Third Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:11 am

Those are good thoughts - we need to keep our closets as the closets and not let that use start creeping out to other areas! They deserve to be themselves! And there's no reason to feel overwhelmed - we have a rotation going and the only "deadline" we have is to continue on our ongoing schedule. Then we're successful!

When HRH and I were both trying to accomplish something in our master closet the other day, we commented that even though it is a "walk-in", it's not meant for more than one person to walk! Newer homes have much more space in closets, but any closet can be welcoming. Just knowing that I want to clean closets with each of our rotations here in Focus, keeps me culling and straightening, and making sure I can reach those surfaces that will be getting my attention.

Is it tough to clean some of your closets - are they tight spaces? Do you have any tricks for making sure they stay clean anyway?

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Closets - 9/16/13 - Fourth Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Time to begin the Fourth round in our closets. I've noticed our master closet is starting to need more attention! So glad we put a light in dd's closet recently. It makes it so much easier to keep neat and clean now that there is no trouble seeing all corners, etc.

blessedw2

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Closets - 9/16/13 - Fourth Round

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:15 pm

I like that closets go before the holidays - thinking of others as I dejunk - the great gets donated - the something I wouldn't want gets tossed - I am still gun shy since I had to separate all that stuff for katrina and I don't want to give anyone else that burden of having to toss my things.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “FOCUS”