2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 10/07/13 - Fourth Round

Harriet

2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 10/07/13 - Fourth Round

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Here are Indiana's steps to a well-maintained Outdoors, from February 24, 2009

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes through out the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the outdoors to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

Outdoors

As you do outside wash, rake, trim, pull, pick up and tidy outdoors.

Outdoors

Trash
Branches -
Weeds
Bushes
Trees
Fertilize
Plant
Grass seed
Mail box
Lights
Edge
Trim
Catalogs
Planning
Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
Buy – replacements or something new if needed
Declutter – kitchen (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread. This is a great opportunity and will make maintaining the closets easier.

Remember not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Use the list as a guide.

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 2/18/13 - First Round

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Dstepson brought me baled straw to freshen up in the henhouse. But it's so wet here, and still raining, very cold, that we just put it in the storage barn to wait for use. This is the way the first outdoor round of the year usually goes for me. But I was able to turn attention to the house in the time, so it's all good.

I notice Indiana also mentioned we could think about things like catalogs, and that's a good point. There's planning that can be done even if the weather won't allow hands-on.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Here's mine:
Trash ~ weekly / seasonally go to dump
Branches - seasonally / or as needed after winds / take to dump
[Pick up neighbor's yd. too as needed when we use the gungle gym.]

Weeds ~ h. & hens do those ! LOL :idea:
Bushes ~ prune
Trees ~ prune dead branch out / rake leaves as needed.
Fertilize h. does this

Plant garden I do that find some chicken friendly plants.
Grass remove crab grass spots / mow & water as needed / rake as needed / dethatch.

Lights put up brooder light in coop.
Catalogs / :idea: Chicken catalog was handy! :idea:

Planning ~ SW corner has been cleared and spaded up hens worked it on Sat. then headed for the N.E. corner on Sun. chicken garden behind coop sketch done pruning done clearing done decluttering done spading done! Yea!!! Still need to do the NW corner rake leaves out.

Repairs – h. is in charge of this Mail box needs replaced have the replacement here. / put up patio area fence / bbq zone cook top needs put back up and new support now after patio expansion last yr. shelf needs installed in shop.

Buy – need to replace hose nozzle. x need one more still however.
De-clutter branches moved to patio find better spot for saw horses.

I'm hoping that this will be a great opportunity for maintaining the yard easier.

Got side tracked reading this blog!
http://myrubberboots.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/i-almost-killed-my-chickens-last-night/
Last edited by Nancy on Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon May 06, 2013 7:15 am

Nancy, you are SO organized about your outdoor areas!

We're beginning the second round and I am pouting again because just like the cold kept me indoors last time, the rain is keeping me indoors now. Maybe by the finish of the week I'll get to work outdoors!

Things are somewhat neat, and I'm glad I got a bunch of twigs and limbs picked up while I could a few weeks back.

Nancy

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 5/06/13 - Second Round

Postby Nancy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks Harriet it looks great written out but I'm not as far along as we would like on this plan. I spiffed up the patio this weekend. We got new sod in areas I dug out so it looks so much better now in the back yard yea for that!

We've been discussing ways to replace the temp. free range area for the chickens and have some great ideas not sure how we will do this so it's exciting to have that in the works.

We still need to go to the dump that will help it look better here. Patio BBQ cook surface is still in the planning stages by the new patio but I need to be prepping a place to put the bulbs I'll be moving when we do that.

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 7/22/13 - Third Round

Postby BookSaver » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:33 am

This month it's been the heat keeping me indoors.

At the very least, though, I will go out this week and tidy around the chiminea in the back yard and also the path between the house and garage.

Nancy

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 7/22/13 - Third Round

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:07 am

I got the old sod out of hear this mo. SO happy about that yea. The out door spaces could use a spiff it's been so hot it's not as pleasant to do that and mornings have been over booked.

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 10/07/13 - Fourth Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 am

It's our fourth round, and hopefully the weather lets us spif up our outdoor areas. Here, the week is starting in the pouring rain, but we do need it and I don't think it's going to last long.

Nancy

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Outdoors - 10/07/13 - Fourth Round

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am

I have been working out door as it Has cooled off, branches have been pruned. I canwork along the west fence line now without the neignbors
Dogs bothering me as we have diff. Neigjbors now.
We hauled off two loads to the dump this past week end.

I am working on the coop we moved the brooder coop next to the hen house and painted the brooder coop this weekend and now I have the first coat of paint
On the hen house. It is looking great around here now!

Return to “FOCUS”