2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 10/21/2013 - Fourth Round

BookSaver
Administrator

2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 10/21/2013 - Fourth Round

Postby BookSaver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 am

Here are Indiana's steps to a clean living room.

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes throughout the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the rooms to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

Living room
• Ceiling and corners - quarterly
• Ceiling light - quarterly
• Walls - quarterly
• Doors and hardware – weekly (finger prints), quarterly
• Door and floor trim - quarterly
• Light switch - weekly
• Dust lights - weekly
• Dust pictures - weekly
• Dust decorations – weekly
• Wash decorations – quarterly if needed
• Cold/hot air vents - quarterly
• Window – quarterly if needed
• Window treatments - annual
• Dust furniture - weekly
• Closet -quarterly
• Floor – weekly
• Throw rugs – weekly if needed
• Wipe mirrors – weekly
• Drawers, cupboards, and shelves – quarterly if needed
• Discard magazines and catalogs on coffee or side tables; store those you want to keep – weekly
• Fluff and rotate sofa cushions - weekly
• Vacuum upholstery - quarterly
• Trash – weekly
• Sweep out fireplace - quarterly
• Manage clutter - daily
• Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
• Buy – replacements or something new if needed
• Declutter – dining room (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread.

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 3/4/2013 - First Round

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 am

((BookSaver)) Hi!

Worked on the living room more yesterday than any day of the week, since I knew we'd have a weekend guest. Very happy to get the swiffer dustmop into corners at baseboards. Found just the right angle and it became narrow enough to go all the way under even my lowest furniture. So glad I proved to myself it can do that - I've given up too quickly sometimes. I think the mini-toys the grandboys lose under there will multiply if left alone! Most of what they play with rolls, and eventually right under places they can't reach.

The end table still looks pretty good following recent magazine purges.

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 3/4/2013 - First Round

Postby BookSaver » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi ((Harriet))!
I have not been able to do anything in the living room this week.
:(
I want to make a major change in there, but need to get farther ahead on other rooms first.
There's our old friend "But First" again! :roll:

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 5/20/2013 - Second Round

Postby Harriet » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Second round in the L.R.!

Dusting behind the media is tough here. Many wires, fronted by things that really can't be moved easily, especially the television area with its peripherals. I've found that the vacuum cleaner wand is helpful for "behind the scenes" cleaning if I stay cool and move as though I were doing Tai Chi. :lol: Along with the Swiffer as another long-handled tool that may fit tight spots in a different angle, it can be dusted well. If anything falls back behind things you don't want to move right then, you can use the suction of the vacuum cleaner wand to pick most lightweight items up rather efficiently. Envelopes, DVD sleeves, even DVD cases if you are careful. Next time we really pull everything out, I want to try the trick of clipping each cord near the plug with a flat bread package tie (the kind with the date sometimes printed on them) and Sharpie-marking each for I.D. HRH is already trying it with his computer peripherals.

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 8/05/2013 - Third Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 am

We're rotating back to the indoor area our guests may see more often than any other! :shock: :) I like to enjoy spiffing this room while warmly thinking of others. I'm hoping they will feel comfortable and confident here. No creeping clutter to make anyone wonder where they should sit, or how we are using the room. I think of someone curling up with a good book or interesting magazine here and finding fresh soft furnishings, enough light (with cleaned out fixtures!) and clean tablespace, maybe a coaster they know they can use. I think of conversations across the space and how I hope each person will feel included, and confident that this space is prepared for them, as someone we're glad to see.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 8/05/2013 - Third Round

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:33 am

I worked some on this last mo. when VCR went out earlier this summer so I've been putting the videos down stairs helped free up the clutter in the living room from those.

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 10/21/2013 - Fourth Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

Back to our inviting and cozy living spaces this week! Where visitors, too, get their impressions of our home and hopefully feel welcome and comfortable. Check Indiana's suggestions, start from the top down, and spif this week! It's the last hurrah for Living Room cleaning for the year, although of course a lot of our maintenance time may be spent here.

Harriet

Re: 2013 FOCUS - Living Room - 10/21/2013 - Fourth Round

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:03 pm

I dusted well, but still ended up changing the light bulbs in the overhead fixture while the older two boys were here! Got that cleaned out and taught them what you do when a bulb blows, too! They were both just dumbfounded - can't believe they've never seen a lightbulb changed, but that's what they said, and they certainly were impressed, so maybe it's true!

The task that has been left undone is vacuuming beneath the cushions - I need to remember that in maintenance time.

Return to “FOCUS”