2014 FOCUS - Porch/Entry/Foyer - 6/9/2014 - Third Round

Harriet

2014 FOCUS - Porch/Entry/Foyer - 6/9/2014 - Third Round

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Here are Indiana's steps to a clean Porch/Entry/Foyer, from January 2, 2009

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes throughout the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the rooms to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. I have marked possible times for doing the chore. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

As you do each room dust, vacuum, wash, wipe, wax, sweep, mop, detail, straighten, and declutter any surfaces that need to be done.

Porch / Entry/ Foyer

• Ceiling and corners - quarterly
  • Ceiling light - quarterly
  • Walls - quarterly
  • Doors and hardware – weekly (finger prints), quarterly
  • Door and floor trim - quarterly
  • Light switch - weekly
  • Dust pictures - weekly
  • Dust decorations – weekly
  • Wash decorations – quarterly if needed
  • Cold/hot air vents - quarterly
  • Window – quarterly if needed
  • Window treatments - annual
  • Dust furniture - weekly
  • Closet -quarterly
  • Floor – weekly
  • Wipe mirrors - weekly
  • Manage clutter - daily
  • Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
  • Buy – replacements or something new if needed
  • Declutter – bedrooms (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread. This is a great opportunity and will make maintaining the bedrooms easier.

Remember not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Use the list as a guide.

Cowinkie

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Porch/Entry/Foyer - 1/06/2014 - First Round

Postby Cowinkie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:02 pm

I just did all of this yesterday when I removed the rest of my Xmas decorations. Even vacuumed my outside entry way so every thing is neat and clean. Must start visualizing what I want to do for my Mardi Gras. My outside wreath looks puny and I am already looking into ways to perk it up.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:24 pm

I do not have an entry way so I work on the entrances out side patio deck front steps. Not so much in the cold but it is not bad here I swept part of the carport today. LZ in the kit. That could use some attn. Heading to check on that now phone area too.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:27 pm

We removed old (and replaced with new) weather stripping around the front door yesterday. We won't attempt any cleaning on the porch this week, since the temperature was forecast as low as 4 F. But we did do a check-up of Sammie's dog house there and her warming pad inside it. Also "she" has a new large sturdy doormat outside our front door, which is her favorite guard position. We honestly purchase front mats with her in mind, not visitors, lol, knowing that she would stay there watching even if there was no comfort. But I suppose I'm glad visitors have a large sturdy mat when they arrive!

Nancy, mine is the same way - you just step from my front porch into my front room. So I clean around the doorway area this week.

Cowinkie, doesn't it feel great to have it all accomplished. I'll hope to be joining you with all that accomplished, too. Have fun considering your decorating.

~~~~~~~~~

Editing Sunday to say I really got a lot done this week Focusing on the Entry. All 5 boxes of Christmas decor put away on shelves that were clean and ready to accept it. The regular wreath is back on the front door. We just can't throw the tree out because it won't stop raining!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:25 pm

We've dusted cobwebs up high in the entry, on the porch, have washed the door glass, china cabinet entry glass doors, Shook the entry rug, swept, sprayed Febreze on the rug, but I ended up dusting/dust mopping the rest of the house, so tomorrow I'll get back to the entry again. :idea: So far, looking great! :!: Forgot about the closet, until I looked at "the list". :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 am

Forgot about the closet, until I looked at "the list"
. Ivy this is true for me as well that is why I like revamping my lists this time of yr.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Nancy, I re-vamped my list, too, but glossed over the closet for some reason. :oops: :oops: :?: Today, I tidied the top closet shelf hats/cowl, tidied hanging coats, put away some hats into the top small bin, in the closet, arranged gloves/hats on the top of the bin lid. Then, we pulled nearly everything out, except 1 large bin w/sm. bin atop it. Swept up oodles of dust bunnies. DH threw away 3 deflated balls, put the sit-down ironing board into the bunny room closet, rearranged the bunny room closet. I put my backpack and fanny pack back on the clean floor of the closet, too. The only thing not done in the entry is stripping the top closet shelf to wipe down, then put everything back and to mop the tile entry. Everything's been vacuumed and swept. It's looking very nice, I Frebrezed the entry rug last night, too, and I re-decorated it. Oh! :o I forgot to dust the plant stand, which houses decorative items. I'll do that tomorrow, as I was keying a story for 45 min. straight so hips hurt from sitting in the office chair. I can't have houseplants on plant stands because Tutu Kitty cat EATS plants! We only have 1 live one high atop a bookcase. She can't get there. Other plants are fake ones in lovely planters from Michael's and Joann's. We got in on wonderful sales. :D They make the house homey-looking. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm

We've been through our homes for our first round of Focus cleaning and now back to the porch and entryway for the second! Extremes in weather should leave us alone a bit this time if we hope to spend more time on a porch or outer door. Are some seasonal plants bringing any color around your entryways? Do you have any plans to bring some more in with containers or more planting?

Pretend you are a completely new visitor walking toward your entryway - what makes you feel comfortable and welcomed? What would put you off a bit, or give you any concern? If there's any seating at a porch, is it dusted and cleaned?

This person's Pinterest photo grouping is so inspiring. My porch looks nothing like these, but they do give me a few small ideas.

Twins' Mom

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Porch/Entry/Foyer - 3/24/2014 - Second Round

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 pm

Harriet, are you trying to get us lost on Pinterest? Seems a dangerous thing to post a Pinterest link with a bunch of SHEs around. Love the board, tho.

My porches are in pretty decent shape - have put out new pansies and swept up and refreshed a bit. I'd like to paint the bench and chair on the front porch, and repaint the table and chairs on the back patio (if we are keeping them.) Does anyone know anything about painting unfinished furniture that has been allowed to weather?

My house is dark blue/gray with white trim. The rocking chairs and table on one side are painted black, and I'd like the bench and chair on the other side to match. I'm musing over a fern that would stand up to the very bright morning sun for the front porch also.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Porch/Entry/Foyer - 3/24/2014 - Second Round

Postby Harriet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:15 pm

Right, Pinterest is chancy, Twins'. :) I have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest, because on the one hand it's the fastest way to scan a lot of whatever you're looking for. But on the other hand it's such instant gratification that it gives you the impression you have all the time in the world to keep browsing. So you can catch "IGAD" I've Got All Day syndrome.

I would go to the "This Old House" site for answers about painting weathered wood. I imagine you will have to sand, and then use something like boiled linseed oil as an intermediate step before any painting. I think that's the sort of thing This Old House episodes have shown.

Return to “FOCUS”