2014 FOCUS - Bedrooms - 6/16/2014 - Third Round

Harriet

2014 FOCUS - Bedrooms - 6/16/2014 - Third Round

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Here are Indiana's steps to a clean Bedroom, from January 10, 2009

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes through out the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the rooms to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. I have marked possible times for doing the chore. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

As you do each room dust, vacuum, wash, wipe, wax, sweep, mop, detail, straighten, and declutter any surfaces that need to be done.

Bedrooms

Ceiling and corners - quarterly
Ceiling light - quarterly
Walls - quarterly
Doors and hardware – weekly (finger prints), quarterly
Door and floor trim - quarterly
Light switch - weekly
Dust pictures - weekly
Dust decorations – weekly
Wash decorations – quarterly if needed
Cold/hot air vents - quarterly
Window – quarterly if needed
Window treatments - annual
Dust furniture - weekly
Closet -quarterly
Floor – weekly
Throw rugs – weekly if needed
Wipe mirrors – weekly
Make bed - daily
Bed linens - weekly
Mattress turn & vacuum – quarterly
Comforters, and pillows fluff - quarterly
Drawers, cupboards, and shelves – quarterly if needed
Trash - weekly
Manage clutter - daily
Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
Buy – replacements or something new if needed
Declutter – bathrooms (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread. This is a great opportunity and will make maintaining the bedrooms easier.

Remember not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Use the list as a guide.

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Bedrooms - 1/13/2014 - First Round

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 pm

It's really so low-key and "user-friendly" to look at the list here sometimes and just go by it. Sometimes I have a definite agenda of most-needed things but sometimes I like to just go down these suggestions and ask myself about them.

I have a different time frame for some things. For instance, I certainly don't attend to the mirrors this often because they just don't need it in the bedroom. But this is just a Focus guideline anyway, just a list to go down and consider whether this item or that needs your attention during Focus.

I have a problem with vacuuming and bedroom week is a good place to discuss it. Does anyone else have a problem with vacuuming on carpet because of hairs? I have found that hair will wrap around this vacuum's rollers. Kinda frustrating. Of course, I can just cut or pull it away and go on, but sometimes I am irritated enough with it that I will use an attachment on the carpet first so there won't be hair in the rollers. But that takes twice (at least) as much time, more physical effort, and makes me feel my vacuum isn't doing what I expect of it in the bedroom. Does anyone have a suggestion here? Do you just plan on dealing with hairs in the roller, do you have a different vacuum that makes cleaning rollers easier? I brush my hair in the vinyl-floored bathroom, btw, and always have - I think my family does, too, but hairs are still gonna happen.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 pm

I don't have any real advice, but will say I can sympathize with you on this as I have 3 dgds and 2 ddils with shoulder length or longer hair. A day or two after a busy weekend visit with both families I can always sweep up hair in the bathroom, dining room or living room - wherever they have been. I don't imagine there would be as much here, since it's only two days a week, though.
More of a problem here is our two ddogs shed constantly and I have to vacuum twice or three times/week to keep up with it. It does get tangled on the roller and in brushes of the sweeper, so I just cut across the length of the roller and pull it all out; it takes only a few minutes. I just haven't thought of any other way to deal with it as there is more carpet in the house than hard floors.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 pm

I don't have that problem with my new dyson. It has a special attachment specifically for human and dog hair. I don't know how to explain it but the roller balls are in a figure 8 shape instead of the roller bar.

My dog hairs are short but plentiful. Particularly they cover my two couches. The attachment does a wonderful job removing them. When I had long hair I used my electric broom in my bathrooms and never had a problem because there was no roller to worry about.
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:52 pm

Harriet, The man who vacuums around here is DH. So I asked him. :idea: When we used to have the type of vacuum with those rollers, when/if pet hair or long human hair got caught, he used to just take out a pair of scissors to cut the hair off where it got wrapped around. But then we got a Dyson, it's got a powerful suction, which sucks up hairs into the chamber, so he doesn't have that challenge any longer. He just dumps the chamber out. So, he suggests the way to deal with hair tangling up, is to cut it off with scissors. :idea: I hope that works because buying new vacuum cleaners can be expensive. :roll: I know some people who use what Nana used to call her "sweepa". It was a non-electric long-handled thing with a rubber belt on it, which she'd run across the carpets and floors to pick up pet hairs. I don't know if it had little "fingers" that reached to pick up the hairs or how it worked exactly. It seems like it was a Bissel, too, but I may be wrong. This was in the 1970's, from memory, so I don't even know if they even make them any longer. This is such a challenging problem. They just need to invent a super-duper lint brush you can roll around with handles on it, to solve the problem. :idea: (Just making light of a solution, not making light of the problem you're having.)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:16 am

Same here -- I just deal with -- and I have a LOT of hair. My hair is around shoulder length, but extremely thick, and I seem to lose a lot of it daily. So I have noticed the problem with the carpet roller brush. I'm not satisfied w/my Electrolux now, but don't want to go back to the upright of a Dyson or * shudders * back to the Kirby... so... yeah. It's a problem.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 pm

So much appreciation for the replies! Nice to hear that I am not alone. Yep, I figured I would just be continuing with the cutting-away method :) at least I know it makes sense to others. How counter-intuitive, to plan regular handsy-handling right after the thing just raked over and touched every inch of the floors it was marketed to keep you from hand-cleaning. :roll: Have to really wash hands after, that's all. Oh well. Makes me think of all the times I've panicked to Swiffer-Wet the vinyl floors because a toddler was likely to put hands on them!

Btw, about the Dyson, that's the one dstepdil buys for her business (she owns a small maid service company) , and I think she winced a little when she found out I bought a "Bissell Lift-Off Revolution Pet : Works Like a Magnet on Pet Hair" without mentioning to her I was shopping. I think she would have recommended the Dyson.

HRH noticed our bedroom looked "clearer" today, he said.

Dove

Postby Dove » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 am

Stopping by this thread, scissors in hand ;) , to deal with the hair wrapped around the rollers of my machine along with all of you with the same problem. After reading your post, Harriet, I was eager to see if anyone had a better way!

I also have a problem with dog hair filling up my vacuum bag very quickly, & have been known to take an old pair of tongs to remove some of it so that I don't have to constantly buy more bags.

It was so nice to read Indi's words in the first post; it was like hearing her voice.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 am

I have right now (3 dogs lab, shepherd and a short hair dog of dd's friend and 4 cats (2 of dd's) ... I had the same problem until dd older brought back her vacuum cleaner... a cheap version of a dyson where you empty the chamber. I love it. I have to repeatedly empty the canister as it doesn't have a bag but all that hair is seen and it picks it up nicely. yes... emptying the chamber so often is a pain but it does the trick.

my gift to myself this year was is to follow the focus as best I can followed by the dejunking.

thanks d harriet for keeping the focus. even if I can't write in here I check it frequently to see which direction I can go.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Bedrooms - 3/31/2014 - Second Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:22 am

Beginning the second round in bedrooms. Do ya'll concentrate on one bedroom or generally try to get to every area that is "bedroom" while you're about it?

Reminded as I read here that I was really appreciative last round of all the helpful thoughts about vacuums. I saw a "Nanny 911" episode that was making the point that the mother had too many responsibilities on her shoulders. One of many housecleaning and childcare scenes through the day was her kneeling on the floor with the vacuum cleaner lying with the rollers toward her as she worked. Yep. BTDT.

Return to “FOCUS”