2014 FOCUS - Laundry - 7/14/14 - Third Round

Harriet

2014 FOCUS - Laundry - 7/14/14 - Third Round

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Here are Indiana's steps to a clean Laundry area, from February 8, 2009

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes through out the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the rooms to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. I have marked possible times for doing the chore. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

As you do each room dust, vacuum, wash, wipe, wax, sweep, mop, detail, straighten, and declutter any surfaces that need to be done.

Laundry

Ceiling and corners - quarterly
Ceiling light - quarterly
Walls - quarterly
Doors and hardware – weekly (finger prints), quarterly
Door and floor trim - quarterly
Light switch - weekly
Dust lights - weekly
Dust pictures - weekly
Dust decorations – weekly
Wash decorations – quarterly if needed
Cold/hot air vents - quarterly
Window – quarterly if needed
Window treatments - annual
Dust furniture - weekly
Closet -quarterly
Floor – weekly
Throw rugs – weekly if needed
Wipe mirrors – weekly
Drawers, cupboards, and shelves – quarterly if needed
Washer
Dryer
Lint hose/pipe
Hoses
Lint trap
Trash - weekly
Manage clutter - daily
Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
Buy – replacements or something new if needed
Declutter – storage (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread. This is a great opportunity and will make maintaining the closets easier.

Remember not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Use the list as a guide.

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Laundry - 2/10/14 - First Round

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 pm

The news for this Laundry round for me is that we had to buy a new washer after 17 years faithful service from my Kenmore. Jury is still out on the new one and new features, but I'll definitely post a review once I'm sure my learning curve is past.

With washer temporarily gone I was able to clean in areas I can't always reach - walls behind both washer and dryer swiffered, and floor under washer wet-swiffered. Of course pencils, hair bands, etc., cleaned out from under there!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:14 pm

We stripped the laundry room cabinet tops, threw away dusty, dirty, old fake grapevines decorating it up there. Dust catchers is what they were AND clutter! :!: :roll: :oops: :o

DH dusted the washer/dryer, counters of all dust, not caught in the dust pan, I swept the floor real good, put back the waste basket and the kitty condo, too.

Then, I started a lol I need to go dry. :idea: Finally! :!: I got to the laundry FOCUS job! :P With DH's help! :mrgreen: ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 am

I am working on this area.

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Laundry - 4/28/14 - Second Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Laundry area for me includes the cabinets for pet supplies, lightbulbs and small fixtures like nightlights, paperware and party supplies. But that's about the end of oddities in that area. The rest is definitely laundry, although a smattering of other cleaning storage. Does NOT include any textiles at all - no baskets. Laundry is sorted into baskets in our closets and waits its turn there.

Much more used to the "new" washer now. Its protective "feature" of locking its lid even when it wasn't spinning used to make me crazy.

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Laundry - 7/14/14 - Third Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 am

Keep that routine of Daily Duds going with a clean laundry area to give you inspiration! Or maybe you are a marathon laundry kind of household. No matter which, it's actually enjoyable to approach the laundry task if we have clear, clean surfaces on which to work and a pleasant smell in the area, well lit with fixtures cleaned and bulbs changed :idea: and light-loving windows. Gee, now I feel like going to get a laundry basket!

:?: BookSaver and I are still interested in everyone's opinions on what our cleaning forum needs to offer. You can check out her questions/discussion in office/other room's thread. Do we need a broader general forum on cleaning, with the Focus guidelines as part of that. What about a monthly thread like other forums offer, to chat about the at-the-moment things that come up, related to cleaning our homes?

Return to “FOCUS”