2014 FOCUS - Dining Room - 3/17/14 - Second Round

Harriet

2014 FOCUS - Dining Room - 3/17/14 - Second Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Here are Indiana's steps to a clean dining room, from March 15, 2009.

As we continue to maintain our homes, the key is maintaining our homes through out the year instead of a full deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Adjust the rooms to fit your home.

Not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. I have marked possible times for doing the chore. Look at each area with fresh eyes to see what should be done this round.

As you do each room dust, vacuum, wash, wipe, wax, sweep, mop, detail, straighten, and declutter any surfaces that need to be done.

Dining room
Ceiling and corners - quarterly
Ceiling light - quarterly
Walls - quarterly
Doors and hardware – weekly (finger prints), quarterly
Door and floor trim - quarterly
Light switch - weekly
Dust lights - weekly
Dust pictures - weekly
Dust decorations – weekly
Wash decorations – quarterly if needed
Cold/hot air vents - quarterly
Window – quarterly if needed
Window treatments - annual
Dust furniture - weekly
Closet -quarterly
Floor – weekly
Throw rugs – weekly if needed
Wipe mirrors – weekly
Drawers, cupboards, and shelves – quarterly if needed
Vacuum upholstery - quarterly
Manage clutter - daily
Repairs – either repair or put on a list for the future
Buy – replacements or something new if needed
Declutter – porch / entry / foyer (next focus area) and post accomplishments in Harriet’s declutter thread. This is a great opportunity and will make maintaining the closets easier.

Remember not all the things listed need to be done this round. Some may be done daily, weekly, monthly, every 3 or 6 months or yearly. Use the list as a guide

Ivy

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Dining Room - 3/17/14 - First Round

Postby Ivy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:51 am

[color=#800080]So far, the only thing I've done on the dining room, was to re-do the tablecloth, wash the place mats to get ready for DD to come for dinner.....

However, I've got very dusty china cabinet shelves glaring up at me- or perhaps it's me glaring down at them- to strip them, clean them good, to get the back mirror and inside and outside of the glass doors all sparkling clean. I keep putting it off, too. This is my writing deadline week, so think I'll plan to get to it after the next/last story is in towards the end of this week. :idea: I want it spit sparkling clean by Easter on April 20th, when DD comes for Easter dinner. I'm going to use my pink jacquard tablecloth, too. I might talk DH into using my good china, which has pink roses on them, but he always says no, and how our everyday pottery dishes are so much larger. :roll: :roll: I'd love to have something special for a change. I'll try to talk him into it, if I can butter him up some.
[/color]
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Dining Room - 3/17/14 - First Round

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 am

So hard to believe we've accomplished our first round through our houses for 2014! I can see change in mine. Grateful to have a clear dining area when company is here, whether it is all the kids or just dstepson dropping by in his work clothes for a sandwich after work. I think it makes everyone feel they are no trouble, which is exactly what I hope they feel.

Harriet

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Dining Room - 6/2/14 - Second Round

Postby Harriet » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Moving into the dining room for the last of the second round!

Have been noticing Father Knows Best on one of the newer free antenna stations of classic tv. Dd15 had never seen it, so it was a conversation topic. The white tablecloth and pretty place settings for family meals really make you think. That show and Beaver both. HRH says, "Honey, that day is long gone, along with the mother's ironing board." Quite true, but even though I wouldn't care a whit for the ironing board, seeing the well-set table makes me wistful! I suppose I would have to cook traditional sit-down meals to enjoy the tablecloth, etc, hmmm? LOL That could happen... ... every once in a while!

lucylee

Re: 2014 FOCUS - Dining Room - 3/17/14 - Second Round

Postby lucylee » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 am

:D The lifestyles of the 50s & 60s television world... * sigh *

Oh my goodness... so this is the END of the second round??? Oh my... the year is half over and I have done virtually nothing with my focus. When will I ever Get My Act Together??? I mean... I've had a year of retirement... and a year to adjust to ddad's death and dmom's new "reality." And I'm still just spinning my wheels. This is hopeless. I mean -- I am hopeless. I don't think I will ever be able to follow my Plan. I make a good plan. I just can't seem to Work the Plan. It's hopeless.
Tomorrow is another day.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:46 am

Lucylee ~ Don't despair, it's only that you are spending your time caring for family instead of cleaning the house. I think you have your priorities straight.

Having said that, I have made ZERO progress on the dining room this week. That means that I really have not made lasting progress in serious cleaning anywhere in the house all year. :(

This past week I've been tied up with the library's annual fund raiser book sale. This next week I'll be out of the house every day as well -- finishing book sale stuff, LEGO Club Wednesday, then straight into sewing group's day camp Thurs-Fri and meetings all day Sat. This feels like back when I had a full-time job, and work spilled into overtime every weekend.

The only thing to do is fit in small cleaning chores wherever possible, be sure to stay caught up on the 3Ds, and hang on until the schedule quiets.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:10 am

Thanks, BookSaver... I know you're right -- at least partly. I do think I have some problems with laziness and donwannas... BUT ... Family does come first, and it is very hard to accomplish much with a two year old in the room. LOL. So... I'll keep plugging along. Thanks for the reassurance!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “FOCUS”