Groceries

Emptynester

Re: Using Coupons

Postby Emptynester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Sadie wrote:Have flyers come every week and I go through them then take them to WM where they will match prices. Buy things when they are on sale, not when we need them. Once in a while use coupons. I made a really great bargain this past week, one store had Quaker Oats for 1.50 each and then had a coupon if you buy 5 Quaker products, you get 3.00 off. So bought 5 containers of Oatmeal and used coupon so they were .90 each and that's .03 per serving. Did the same thing with Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix.

Cut open toothpaste tube when you get to the bottom of it. You can get a few more brushings from it. Use just a smidgeon of soap powder for towels and washcloths.

I buy meat from a meat shop twice a year. I buy a large quanity of it and it works out less per pound than you pay at WM or grocery stores.

Cook/bake from scratch. Don't buy too much junk food. While my co-workers buy chips for their break, I buy a single banana for a quarter.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Sunny wrote:
We used to use grocery coupons, but some years ago we found that store brands were the same savings or more as name brands with the coupon and don't seem to taste any different. We use coupons or sales ads for big replacement items --- tvs, refrig etc.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:11 am

Yesterday Tide was on sale ...$6.00 of the large size. bought 3 and had a $1.00 off coupon. I have joined a coupon network and before I go to the store (if on list) I check now the company I am buying from as they sometimes have $1 off coupons. I ordered yesterday the $1.00 off tide pen as we use that. should be in the mail soon.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Keep up - who's "doubling" in your area

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:58 am

I think the key to coupons may be finding any "double coupon" or similar program at a grocery, even if it is restrictive, and taking advantage of that to get the most bang for your coupon-paperwork minute.

A church friend and I ran into each other at the grocery, and I pointed out to her a new sign that they are instituting a "double coupon" policy again - first one either of us had seen in a while. We were reading up on the rules :roll: when a couple came by, carefully going through a stack of coupons together, obviously efficient. But all either of us could do was glance through our small stashes and admit we had none that would work (we had store coupons - not eligible - and of course both of us found out-of-date ones! :( ) We agreed that it's time consuming to "work on coupons", and usually doesn't seem worth it.

But with the "doubling" offer right in front of us, both of us wished we'd spent a little time this past week, since a lot of coupons might seem worth the paperwork if we "read" them doubled.

It would be worth calling around and asking managers if you have to, to be sure you aren't missing even a one-day-a-week doubling program out there. This sign was very clear that it will never be advertised in print, only in the store.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:32 am

I have to buy dog and cat food soon so I decide to go to the Iams site, I got a coupon for $5 for dog food and $5 for cat food coming to me. I haven't seen the double coupon in a long time. now they have also started lay away again in our area, I haven't seen that since I was 20.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 pm

We get the free add section each Tues.
delivered to the driveway and I look it over
to see what's on sale before Wed. sales
and this week got eggs 1st three doz. for 99 c.
and butter 2 for $3 did this on an errand w/ hubby
to save on fuel.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Kraft is offering $50.00 in coupons at their web site for you to select and print.

I don't remember printing any for less than $1.00.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 28, 2009 7:48 am

That brings up a catch-22 I've found with my coupon-clipping. My grocery stores nearby only double coupons that are 99 cents or less, but the coupons that come out in the paper or mailings are usually $1. They are sometimes larger, rarely less. The manufacturers are using coupons now more to try to get you to buy a quantity, like at least 6 cans of a dog food, at least an 8-pack or 12-pack of paper towels, etc. The grocery stores are able to put up enticing "doubling" signs knowing there aren't as many coupons up to 99 cents out there any more. The coupons that come on products themselves, like inside of butter cartons, etc., will still be the smaller ones, but they are few.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Indiana

Re: Misc. ideas that don't fit any other catagory

Postby Indiana » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Instead of going through the flyers that come in the newspaper or mail for groceries you can go to:

www.mygrocerydeals.com

register and put in your zip code and the grocery sales by store will pop up. You can also set it to get an email once a week with the sales.

Indiana

Groceries

Postby Indiana » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:48 pm

How to Stretch Your Food Dollar

At the Grocery Store
1. Choose from the top or bottom shelves in the grocery store. Items at eye level are usually more expensive.
2. Shop the "reduced section" of the store and stock up on products you use regularly.
3. Join grocery-saving clubs that entitle you to members-only savings.
4. Buy in bulk or family-size packages; then divide and freeze items for later use.
5. Purchase ingredients that are in season; they are usually cheaper and better quality.
6. Shop at the end of the aisles for great deals.
7. Never shop when you are hungry. Everything looks good then, and you'll be tempted to overspend.
8. Allow yourself enough time for shopping so you can compare prices.

At the Meat Counter
9. Purchase inexpensive cuts of meat and use them in your slow cooker.
10. Instead of buying pre-made ground beef patties, make your own.
11. Purchase less expensive ground beef. To reduce fat content brown the meat, drain in a colander, then rinse.
12. Buy a bag of frozen meatballs and use the meatballs in several recipes.
13. Roast your own whole chicken instead of buying a rotisserie chicken.
14. Use less costly bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks instead of boneless chicken breasts.

At Home
15. Clip coupons from newspapers or download them from web sites.
16. Plan your meals around in-store specials, especially meats.
17. Make grocery list and stick to it.
18. Save money - and time - by shopping and cooking with a friend.
19. Grow your own vegetables and herbs.
20. Stretch meat further by making casseroles.

anonymous

Return to “Thrifty Ideas”