Using Coupons

Emptynester

Using Coupons

Postby Emptynester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Harriet wrote:How do you use thrift to prosper your household?

Thursday is a traditional day for grocery thrift for those who ponder well their newspaper's store sections. I've never made coupons, etc., work for my family as well as others seem to - maybe you are good at it? Do tell!

Booksaver and I have an Apron Day planned today. I have never measured it formally, but I believe that I think thriftier thoughts in an apron! 8-) It gives me a sort of "you can't pull the wool over this homemaker's eyes" attitude! :| ;)

Emptynester

Re: Using Coupons

Postby Emptynester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:23 pm

blessedw2 wrote:
thrift so much on all our minds isn't it. we have stopped eating out. I can't say I don't miss it but I do. Also gave up (for now :shock: my starbucks coffee), I couldn't afford it anyway and put my head in the sand for this one. we are using coupons but those coupons no longer last for long (a blessing for a disorganized me). we are also looking at the sale adds in the newspaper, if dog food is on sale we are now buying it even if we don't need it yet. same with cat food, and shampoo we use too. also have been buying suave and it does fine. We also are keeping the old "if you can't afford it don't buy it and do you really need it or are you just convincing yourself you need it".

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Indiana wrote:
I don’t use many coupons since we don’t get a newspaper. Getting a paper daily or even on just the weekend was just generating more paper since we found we were reading the news on line more than in print. So we stopped it.

I can read the grocery store and pharmacy flyers on line, which is great. Our grocery store toward the end of the month does a bigger sale and I stock up on things we use but may not need at the time.

We have 3 different grocery stores in the area. I went through the sale ads for them for about 2 months to see if it would pay to shop more than one store. I discovered it wouldn’t pay off. For us it pays off using just one store. If we had a large family it may pay to use more than one.

In the past, we shopped once a month. We are shopping weekly or every other week now. We don’t have our extra freezer so we can’t stock up. It is working shopping every week. If we still had the freezer, I would be doing it monthly. Like I said I do stock up on staples once a month when on sale.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Although this tip isn't a coupon it is a discount.

We belong to AAA and can use the card for not only travel but also shopping, restaurants, etc.

Also we belong to AARP and there is the same type of discounts - more limited.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:03 pm

If you have a cell phone and qualify for AARP -there's a discount but you usually have to ask for it. DD#2 just got several $$ off our cell phone bill per month because she asked for the discount for us when she was in the store.

Also, research different companies on the internet and there are often coupons there -stores, products, restaurants.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:09 am

coupon I picked up on line for dh...$1.00 off wendies. so he is a happy man.
I don't collect coupons for things I don't use.
I have learned to try new things but not if they say you have to buy 4. if I don't like it well no one else will.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:50 am

Just found a new (to me) website that has deals listed by state.

www.salescircular.com/

At the bottom of each state it also lists items that are free after rebate.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 pm

In our area, store coupons, which you get at check-out, especially if you carry a membership card to that particular grocery store, are big. But rarely do we see people using coupons from magazines or the paper. It's almost as though they're not "into" it here, at least in our area. DH goes the grocery shopping, so I'm going by what he says and when I go with him, sometimes, I noticed that, too.

However, I have a CT friend and I mail magazine coupons to her. She's really into it and also are a lot of her friends and relatives, so what she doesn't use, she passes them along.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “Thrifty Ideas”