PWYC Finally Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Indiana

PWYC Finally Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Kathryn wrote:

I get to go home tomorrow. That's all I can think of.

Dh is at a meeting today, networking.

I'm still in my nightgown. I need to wash up all the dishes and s2s. Then I'll walk over to a little shop I saw that might have tiles. The tilework here is amazing but I don't see tiles for sale anywhere. That isn't a surprise since almost all the tile work is custom but still, I'd like to find something that reminds me of the tiles to take home with me. All eating places have personalized plates as well (even the glasses here are stamped with the hotel name.)

I'm not interested in touristy souvenirs so if I don't find something in china, I'll give up and take home only the speaker's gift. Which is worth a post of its own.

It weighs over 3 lbs (almost 10% of my luggage allowance) and is a cast bronze statue on a stone base. Not something I would have chosen. It is hand crafted. And pretty well useless. Two would make bookends but one isn't as useful. Perhaps a doorstop although the sharp edges of the stone base would really hurt if you stubbed your toe on it. I debated taking the one given to our friends as well to make bookends (he has 4 more countries over 3 more weeks before returning to Australia) but that would put me over my weight limit and make my bag heavier than I can handle on my own.

Many speakers are considering leaving them behind. But it is expensive and I hate to do that.

On the other hand, I have a rule that I must love things in my house and I don't love this. At this point, I'm irritated by it.

So we'll wait and figure out what we are doing with it. Sigh...

Indiana

Re: PWYC Finally Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:32 pm

mamap wrote:

Good morning, Kathryn. So you get to go home tomorrow! Wonderful! It's easy to see you are very much looking forward to it. [[[Hugs]]] re the statue (or whatever) - you and Ken will make the right decision I know.

I have a busy day ahead - breakfast with friends - come home and do some last minute practicing for a funeral - get gussied up and head for the church - stop for groceries on the way back (with gas prices what they are I try always to combine that chore with some other necessary trip.) Very possibly when I get home and have the groceries put away I will crash for a while.

Hope to get back here later but no telling....

Have a good day everyone!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Kathryn wrote:

They are starting to cook lunch at the restaurants below me (it is 1:30, lunch starts around 2 here) and it smells good. I suppose I should go out and find something to eat.

I'm s2s and dressed.

I don't think I've told you about washing dishes here.

I have a kitchenette. It is in 7' wide closet with 4 sliding door panels. So not all the kitchen can be exposed at once. In fact, the sliding doors are a really bad design since they block 1/2 of the kitchen at any given time (so I can get into the fridge but that blocks the sink, cutlery drawer and dishes cupboard. Same for the cooktop.)

On the far left I have a microwave/convection oven with a shallow cabinet above. Below the counter is a bar fridge. The middle 3 feet is the kitchen sink with a cupboard above and below. Finally there is a stove top with 2 burners with cupboards above the range hood & light, and below. That is a locked cupboard and is where all the dishes are stored until a deposit is paid.

The cupboard above the sink is a drying cupboard (totally cool.) It has two wire shelves, one on the bottom for plates, one above for glasses and cutlery. Below the wire shelves is a plastic drip pan that pulls out. The cupboard is open to the counter below and ceiling above so air can circulate even when the door is shut.

When I wash the dishes, I open the cupboard door, wash a dish, place it on the rack, repeat until the dishes are done. Then I shut the cupboard door. They dry fairly quickly (I haven't timed them but the dishes washed at noon are dry by 6).

Any overflow from the drip pan falls into the sink.

No need for counter space to dry the dishes. No need to dry dishes. Sure the unused dishes in the cupboard get wet when I put up the freshly washed ones but if I only did dishes at night, this wouldn't be an issue.

It is a really great solution for tiny kitchens and I've taken pictures so I can add it to a kitchen in the future. We've had small kitchens in Copenhagen and there we've had to put away the dishes before being able to assemble breakfast in the morning. This eliminates the 'putting away the dry dishes' step.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:33 pm

helia wrote:

Good morning! The drying cupboard sounds interesting, Kathryn. Glad you're coming home soon. The young couple in our church small group that dh invited for dinner last night (they couldn't come) are from Spain!! I love the accent. She is teaching Spanish at UM here right now. He is finishing his MBA. They hope to eventually go back. . . . . Hope the funeral goes well, Mamap.

2 out of 3 kids have been launched, ds with dh and I drove dd11. She has been marked tardy 2 days in a row by an evil sub in her 1st hour class so she wanted to definitely be on time today; I dropped her off about 12 minutes early. Doors weren't even open yet. Got picture order forms for ds and dd11 filled out.

Helia Happenings:
-a.m. routine
-dentist appt. at 10 a.m.
-quick groc. store run
-work out
-pick up kids around 3
-travel clinic; we decided to continue the series but to go more on our schedule; so, we're picking up the kids after school (well, after school for ds and dd11; dd9 will miss about 30 minutes. . .)
-dd11 field hockey practice 5:45 - 7:15
-ds to the church for youth group retreat by 6
-out to eat for supper

These are the definite must happen items on my schedule; housework and working on teaching for next week will fit in around them. I'm giving Australia and NZ plans a rest for a while. Feeling burnt out in that dept.

Next: get dd9 up and moving.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Emptynester wrote:

Good Morning All.

What a beautiful morning here. Blue sky and whipped cream clouds. Right now the clouds are tipped with pink and gold as the sun is just peeking over the trees. It is very quiet here - with only a low mummer of trucks out on the hiway.

We have a long way to go today with just a one night stay so probably no internet nor TV tonight. We will be on the western edge of Iowa along I-29. Then Saturday we have a shorter trip to DH's home town where we will stay several days.

Hope you all have a great day.

Hugs to ((KIC)) I know about those totally useless - too heavy gifts. What were they thinking??

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Harriet wrote:

Both Emptynester and CathyS have been poetic in their descriptions lately! I guess the autumn brings that out in us.

Nice to hear from lucylee. Both she and helia are thinking substitute-teacher planning! (however different!) helia, we got the picture-day info yesterday.

Very glad to see Ivy got here and is posting. Ivy, posts about needlearts and such are under The Creative Home forum below at this new site. You probably already found that. I think you and mamapiano are both on the learning path to different types of knitting.

Kathryn, my late aunt used to buy single tiles on her travels and then put cork under them to use them as coasters or trivets. Not totally practical, but it worked. In the area not covered by cork on the bottom she would write where it came from. I know she found them in several countries - could you call around?

We roused early with ds22's schedule this a.m. Dh went back to bed, actually. It is "Crazy Hat Day" and dd9 chose her halo from the Christmas play. She plans on answering anyone who comments with an angelic, "Fear not." I didn't make her go over the spelling test today because the rule is that as soon as she makes 100 with me on our practice tests she can stop studying and she did that midweek. I'm already regretting that as a possible fluke, but time will tell.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm

blessed wrote:

Good morning and I have to admit I am happy it is FRIDAY
Actually looking forward to having a couple Saturdays to myself once soccer is over... I know it starts again in January but November 6 couldn't come fast enough.

Good morning mt. the sky sounds beautiful... what a nice way to start your day. Safe traveling!

Good morning Helia... How is your Tiwan (sp? I know it is wrong). It is hard for people that come from different countries to stay here... it is so different. They sound like really nice people. my dgrandparents now gone moved back to France and were so happy there while they were there. Glad dd11 was able to get there early!
You have a big day today... have a great one.

hi Kathryn so happy you can fly home tomorrow. I think sometimes when they give gifts businesses should remember you have to fly home good luck with your luggage.. Yeah you get to go home

Hi mama have a enjoyable relaxing time with dfriends
nice you can help out at the funeral by playing the piano.. I know it means so much for the family.

Well dladies I have to get my franny in gear... can you see me doing
"the 2 step" flitting away just like they do on dancing with the stairs ...
you should see my outfit sparkles everywhere (Jane Seymour eat your heart out)... grace talent (..... sorry I tripped) ... ***poof***

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Nancy wrote:

Today I'm up.
Have made coffee & bed.
I'm still in my house dress.
No rain here this morning.
I was not not light out when I got up.
The days are defiantly getting shorter.
Hubby said we have an extra month
of day light savings time this year.

Tomorrow we pick out lighting fixtures
we are not looking forward to that.
Hubby has to met with son-i-law builder.
Who worked out of town this week
he was home each night but gives a different perspective on work
with all the drive time.
No atv-ing this weekend.

It's warming up next week I saw on the weather report
there is still hope of autumn summer yet!

Color test I could not get it to work last night
but today seems fine!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Kathryn wrote:

A little progress has been made on paperwork. I've entered the chits from Stockholm. Now to do Madrid.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Sadie wrote:

good morning ladies,

Sending best wishes to all of our travelers!

It'a beautiful day here. Not too warm and sunny.

DH is going wood splitter shopping. We have a wood stove and people usually give us wood or tell us when trees fall during storms.

DH is getting so he can't swing the ax because of his back. So wood splitter shopping to see what he can find. Not going with him!

Got to do my adventures so off I go.

Return to “Post When You Can - ARCHIVE”