Updated SHE Boards

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Updated SHE Boards

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:02 am

The SHE VIllage has had major infrastructure changes in the past few days.

First, we've moved the hosting of the website over to GoDaddy from Canadian Webhosting. This was in order to make the boards more accessible to all administrators and to increase stability after Canadian Webhosting had a couple of incidents that took down our boards as part of the collateral damage.While the boards were easy to fix, they required intervention by Ken, something that isn't always available.

After we got the boards moved over, we also updated to the latest version of phpBB, 3.1.3. This is not a patch but a completely new install. Which means that there are no customized styles. For those of us using a purple page to display the boards, that style is no longer available. There are four very similar styles to choose from and almost no colour choice. I'll watch for new styles being developed and add them as they are available.

With the new software, some things look quite different. Hopefully, over the next few weeks we'll discover exciting reasons why we made the switch!

If you have any problems, please email the moderators/admins and we'll try and help you although none of us know much at this point and online support is minimal since this version of the software is only a few weeks old.

The new boards will cost money (dh and I hosted the old boards for free as part of our company website.) For now, we have paid for 2 years at a cost of $120. We'll be sending an appeal to offset those charges after we get back from our trip.

lucylee

Re: Updated SHE Boards

Postby lucylee » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:51 pm

Just wondering -- after Lilac spoke today of difficulties with mail -- would it be possible to pay through PayPal? I was thinking if you had an account already, that would simplify things so much.
Mailing to Canada is not going to be like my recent -- still unresolved -- mailing from China... But I was curious about it.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “News and Announcements - ARCHIVE”