Cleaning Focus - January 2015

Detail cleaning schedules for each room of your house.
BookSaver
Administrator

Cleaning Focus - January 2015

Postby BookSaver » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Harriet flung out a challenge to me to open the January 2015 thread with some brilliant words. My brain immediately went blank and stayed that way, because in 2014 I utterly failed in all attempts to keep my home clean.

Therefore, I am happy to be able to quote some brilliant lines which Lynlee wrote in PWYC earlier today.
It is a year of limitless possibilities.
The perfect place for me to start is where I am now.
Little doable tasks can make a world of difference, if I repeat the cycle of tasks and breaks often.

There you go. I could not have come up with wiser words myself if I had thought about the subject all year.

Here is Indiana's schedule for cleaning focus this month, from Harriet's thread which shows the plan for the whole year.

Round 1
12/29/2014 Getting Ready for 2015
1/5/2015 porch/entry
1/12/2015 bedrooms
1/19/2015 bathrooms
1/26/2015 office/other room

Harriet

Re: Cleaning Focus - January 2015

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:03 am

Now... .. who better to chat than someone who has some good solid failures under her belt? Valuable experience. Let's me know I can add to the discussion. :oops:

Oh, I had read and re-read Lynlee's words, too. Think they are inspiring but also comforting.

Successes in my house last year could pretty much be summed up by the condition of the front rooms of the house for company over holidays. (LR, DR, Kit, front bath) They did look nice.

Failures last year were obvious to me but perhaps not to "company" (are we sometimes kidding ourselves about this, though). They include that I did not keep up vacuuming very well in the carpeted areas (front rooms are wood floors and vinyl). Mildew at times in the master bath reminded me that that does not show up overnight and I need to be more vigilant.

Once through the year I had "pro" help by asking dstepdil to come help in my house one day. That may have been November. (She actually is a pro but I'm blessed that she feels like a daughter to me. She can point out something I've been overlooking, without making me feel dumb.)

I've been enjoying sites on the internet with forms for schedules, planning. I want to be really "present" for all my plans this year.

Here's a 5-inch by 5-inch border by Design Finch with title, "Cleaning Calendar". It's pretty the way it is or could be cut to 3x5 with only side designs, and taped to a card for cardfile. You type whatever YOU want inside for your own cleaning :idea: and print. Days of the week are only there as suggestions, and can be removed. I put the first 7 weeks of Focus cleaning! :) It prints out as "5x7" correctly, so make sure your printer isn't "fitting to the page" or all the words won't show up.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:36 pm

I have been thinking about the article Twins'Mom posted in PWYC on Sunday, about the difference between setting goals and systems.

The bad thing about cleaning routines and methods -- well, one of the bad things -- is that there is no one right way to do it. It all depends on what else is going on in your life that day, right?

For example, several years ago I saw an episode of the old "reality" show Jon & Kate + 8 that showed Kate mopping the kitchen and dining room floors, and talking about how she had to do that job at least 3 times a day. Two preschoolers and 6 babies made so much mess at mealtimes that the only way she could stay on top of it was to accept the fact that it was easier to totally mop the floors after every meal, than to spot clean and then only mop once a week (or whatever schedule other moms use).

Of course, I assume that was a temporary situation, until the 6 babies got out of that particularly messy stage of life. Nevertheless, that was Kate's reality at that moment -- that was her particular cleaning system that week.

My reality is quite different, I have never been forced to mop the same floor 3 times every day. Unless I start working for a child care center, Kate's system from that week will never be mine. It would make no sense for me to use her cleaning routine.

Equally, my reality is not the same as yours.

However, that doesn't mean that we can't share tips and techniques that work for each of us. Not everything will work for everybody, but some things will work for a lot of people. Some product you use in your house might not work in mine ... but then again, maybe it will. It is always helpful to read product reviews, such as whether or not you like your brand of vacuum machine or oven cleaner.

If nothing else, posting together about our cleaning focus will be evidence to each other that none of us is working alone!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:09 pm

I got a new small vacuum Bissel with the canister that you dump after each room you vacuum or 2x in big rooms. It is more of an apt. Sized one. I need a bigger one later in the spring saw a Hoover red one it is a mid size maybe Mother's day.

The new one seems to be working well. I still have 2 rooms to do downstairs.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:43 pm

I vacuumed in the laundry storage area and it is looking better.
In the dark besement no light on the vacuum was missed!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Planning now to join in on Monday. The entry way closet is one of my bugaboos - the wrapping paper that got moved into the garage came from there but there is a lot of ribbon, tissue paper etc. in there. I need to get all that out, purge jackets/coats in there to make some room and make the closet more accessible. We put in a compartment way at the back under the steps where we've been storing luggage, but we need certain items too often to drag everything out of the closet for it. Need to think on it.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:06 pm

I am joining as well as I found that my house gets cluttered and then my brain gets cluttered... thanks so much for the thread. I may need help keeping it simple though. :D

My goal is to be able to touch all the areas before next holidays so that I can feel good

Monday cards pulled for this area...
dejunk again front hall closet...noticed things are starting to collect here
vacuum bottom of closet and wash
wash floor by hand
dust front hall things
clean under furniture after vacuuming
dust with swiffer thingy chair rails and trim
clean chandelier
wipe finger prints going up the stairs
wipe smudges
clean french doors going into kitchen
cob webs
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

I've decided on the Task Tracker (Time Tracker that I'd linked to in the Household Notebook/Journal and PocketMod thread) for record keeping on Focus. This will be fun, bubbling-in my 15s each day, or two 15s if that works out. I'll look forward to being able to say I put in X time on Focus goals.

I was frustrated to find that my stove timer, which I'd turned on since it's loud, and I hear it clearly from entry area, has a flaw. When dd called, telling me she didn't have club after school after all and asking for a ride, I hit "cancel". Well, it doesn't cancel. :| When we got back it was beeping. If we hadn't come straight home that would have gone on indefinitely. I can't have that, so that timer option is out for any interrupt-able task. I'll go back to bringing a timer along.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:35 am

sorry your timer is giving you trouble!!! I think it is the Evil house fairy that tries to get us off track. :D
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Well, it's alright. Back to the good old-fashioned hand-held one that ticks down. The grandboys love these anyway. (I find them in odd places sometimes.) I told HRH about the stove timer and he tried it and it did the same for him. So now we are thinking we won't use that at all and just use the microwave timer for foods, too. You really can't be using something you can't turn "off". That's a kinda important feature. :| I believe they invented the "off" button not long after the "on" one on most items. It's pretty standard. :lol:

Lots of dusting, also some Pledge. (how nice)
In making decisions about small standing photo frames that go back into place with Christmas decor gone, I gave many the benefit of the doubt.

Porch work is completely out of the question now. 12 degrees. Next time.

Return to “Cleaning Focus”