March 2016 cleaning focus

Detail cleaning schedules for each room of your house.
blessedw2

March 2016 cleaning focus

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:20 pm

I have been struggling to get my focus items done
Last week was kitchen - what I got done

Washed one wall
Cleaned the microwave inside and out and bottom screen and vent grates (took them off and washed them)
- cleaned inside of fridge
- cleaned toaster
- washed the backsplash behind stove and counters
- washed cabinets underneath by stove disgusting
- cleaned utensil holders
- cleaned back of counters
Clean soffit over stove

Washed floor Weekly

This coming week for me is the front room/ living room
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Re: March 2016 cleaning focus

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi, blessed. Thanks for the March start.

That seems to be a great kitchen week for you. I know you say, "disgusting", but isn't it great to take disgusting to clean? Happy thought. I knew you had mentioned cleaning underneath things on a counter - sounds like you were really moving. Just think by the end of the 4th round you will have a geeorgeous kitchen and a year spent knowing it was nicer place to work/cook (maybe snack?) because of your efforts!

("disgusting" does not phase me - I have seen plenty of "disgusting". By now, I'm not easily impressed with it. :lol: )

I got everything pulled out from an under-cabinet and as I was cleaning there, I thought ... somebody should invent a little roll-around seat for cleaning lower cabinets! LOL! I could use something that just required a push from one to another, but how would I sit on it?! I appreciated my knee-cushion for that work. I think it is intended for garden work, but my knees love it for cleaning low things/places.

Admitting - my microwave is still not done and it is SO obvious that it's needed. Maybe I can manage it as I do evening dailies in the kitchen today, and then I could feel I was at a "finish line" for this round.

"Front Room" - That's funny - we also sometimes say "the front room". :) For me, that comes from my paternal grandmother who did not care for the very commonly used term, "Parlor", when she was young. She always insisted hers was "the front room". Will get busy on that tomorrow, and I think the ceiling fan is my first stop, and will work my way down.

((blessed)) I know you are struggling for time to get chores done. You are not alone! I promise to think of you as I dust tomorrow. ;)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:30 pm

Harriet I use my little fold up step stool to sit on when I'm working the lower cabinets. But you could buy a rolling garden stool and use it inside and outside the house. Sort of double dipping.

I clean my refrigerator every week when I do the "dump anything dead" card. I also boil water in my microwave and let the steam form. Then I wipe everything down. I dump and clean my kitchen drawers all the time because I can't stand it when I get crumbs and stuff in them.

I deep clean my house once a month. I wash Windows when they get dirty and sweep and clean my front door area almost every day cause I get bugs and stuff. That habit started when I was doing my box on a daily basis. Back then my front area and side walk were swept by 6:30am. When I moved my neighbors said they missed seeing me in the mornings. I have to do the same thing every day out my back door because I have a covered patio that runs the length of the house. We have flying dirt living in the desert so it's a necessary. And I wash the doggie nose prints off my back door.

I don't use the focus list much because I just so things as I see they need to be done. Right now I am swapping out my closet. Usually I do it in mid to late April but it's been so unusually hot that I need lighter weight clothes. My next two big adventures are to take my two other closets apart. My storage area is getting filled with items I wan to donate. Once I do the closets then I'll be ready to smog out the garage.

Mostly my "box" taught me how to work a system and to see my house in a different way. In the past I didn't mind if my house was a bit out of order, but now that I have my routines that rarely happens. The only exception is when I get really stressed.. And then my house reflexes that, but since I've retired that seldom happens and even when I was working the routines I learned to do kept my home in good order.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

D Harriet you are my life saver - you genuinely set me back on a happy path and let me see it's ok - u had me laughing when u aren't too impressed by the disgusting u have seen - it truly made me look at my work in a new way!

I hope ur day is awesome

I never heard of a parlor until I went to the Lincoln home years ago - probably because my mom lived in the French country side- I'm sure there are different things - I know the kitchen was the center where people visited and where my grand parents and great grandparents and helpers would talk and eat and play music

D Rose good for you on ur routines being so well in place
I don't have the mental ability to clean the pantry etc as I go as it builds so quickly here lol - I'm lucky to get dailies and weeklies done - I use the focus for heavy jobs and ticklers -

Ie I didn't realize the toaster was so bad - I've moved it and cleaned under it but when I undid the tray it was like a black sand beach - I shook the crumbs all out and dh and I were so grossed out - it had been three months - now we will do it every other week lol

Happy day to you all ❤️

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:00 am

Chipping away at my focus - yesterday I cleaned the inside and outside of one kitchen cabinet- I found things from 2013 - I check it yearly and this slipped through my fingers

I'm having trouble w dogs - they figured out that there is food inside cans and unopened boxes - so far 4 cans of cat food, 1 can of black beans, multiple boxes of cereal oatmeal and grits gone

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:46 am

Vacuumed and washed wall and chair rail and fore behind and under the couch and two chairs front room
Washed down fireplace front room
Only had time for washing half the wood floor W

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:14 pm

March 9

I'm trying to b easier on myself re focus - no putting myself down!
Dh is really depressed bc of eye sight to the point he doesn't do anything - very sad -

Washed the inside bay window and wood trim
Washed the remaining vent and vacuumed inside the vents - pretty bad
Washed the old spinning wheel and waxed it
Cleaned the rosemaled chair
Cleaned the coffee table top and under
Piano cleaned chair for piano cleaned
The two end tables cleaned
Lamp base cleaned
All knick knacks cleaned
Paintings swiped

Cleaned another kitchen cabinet

Kind of embarrassed _ I always thought this room was time consuming- it's pretty well done
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:34 pm

What's left
Move piano and clean behind wall
Move music and de-junkk and clean behind it
Hang picture that has been sitting there two years
Take sailing autograph for dd out of cabinet and put in frame
Clean the wood work area from front room to front hall disgusting

Call piano tuner

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 am

Swiffer dusted from ceilings down, and used a little Pledge as well. Swiffer dusted floors into corners and all baseboards. Cleaned the window inside and out. Rearranged several areas as far as knick-knacks and placement.

blessed, I think I remember you mentioning your spinning wheel before. I'm sorry your dh can't think of anything he wants to do right now, and I hope he'll find interest in things later. Your LR looks great!

Ramblin', dd17 suggested a skateboard for scooting around doing low work, lol. Have fun on your closet adventures.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Look at you too d Harriet - nice work!
Great idea from your dd re skateboard - I think I'll steal that idea for gardening - weeding- along sidewalk

Yesterday I heard the heron coming back / the beginning - they fly so high that sometime u really have to look - they are like clockwork coming back - spring is hear and summer is coming!

Return to “Cleaning Focus”