2018's First Round Focus! Jan 2 through March 12

Detail cleaning schedules for each room of your house.
Harriet

2018's First Round Focus! Jan 2 through March 12

Postby Harriet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Trying something new by placing our current thread FIRST in the line-up of topics in the forum, so it's easy to find and chat in current time! :idea: Our first round's calendar is in this post. The locked sticky threads about Focus Cleaning are just below, including the full 2018 Focus Cleaning Calendar for planning.

A consistently clean home is within reach! It's not that we need to clean everything suddenly :shock: it's just that we need to clean some consistently throughout the year :) we know that. Focus gives us one already-complete plan for a rotation to keep us on track and keep each lovely area from neglect. We don't have to re-invent the wheel, just roll along with the one we have at the ready, a week at a time.

Here's a space to chat about our first rounds through our homes, which will be from Tuesday, Jan 2 through the week of Monday, March 12. Eleven rooms/areas for eleven weeks. Change the room names around to suit your home, record them in personal record-keeping if you want, in whatever form you'd like, and let's go through the house once!

If you are on a different plan for cleaning, please chat with us anyway, okay? We'd love to hear what you are doing through these months. To find some reminders and tips about rooms, check out the locked thread titled, The Eleven Focus areas and their How-To-Clean Notes. The contents listing there is clickable and you'll go right to the room you click.

Round 1
12/25/2017 Getting Ready for 2018
1/2/2018 porch/entry
1/8/2018 bedrooms
1/15/2018 bathrooms
1/22/2018 office/other room
1/29/2018 closets
2/5/2018 laundry
2/12/2018 storage
2/19/2018 outdoor
2/26/2018 kitchen
3/5/2018 living room
3/12/2018 dining room

blessedw2

Re: 2018's First Round Focus! Jan 2 through March 12

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:21 pm

d harriet Thank you Again!!!

making my cards and putting them as a tickler for the week. I also have learned the hard way that I didn't have to do everything in that week in that zone :shock: that has taken me decades to learn. ;) The pressures we SHE perfectionists put on ourselves. Cards where they should be. :D
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm

I have learned to give myself permission to do a zone or room a month focused attn. On a challenge area like craft room or storage area as long as I do not ignore the main part of the house. And that it is okay to change it up and declutter kit. If I am checking what to put on grocery list even if I am not doing the kit. Zone that week for example.

ejagno

Postby ejagno » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 am

In addition to the visual focus of each area, I'm working on the hidden factors as well. For instance, this weeks focus is front porch and entrance. Not only do I want to make sure that it is decluttered, clean and organized but make sure that I have what I need on hand (for the year) to decorate as well as maintain this specific area. My front porch is an Acadian style porch the entire width of the house with Verde green floor, white railings, trim, ceiling and posts, vintage red shutters and front door. I have two wicker love seats, a wicker rocker and a plant stand as well as two window box planters.
I ask myself what do I need to keep this space inviting, clean and organized.
Paint - I keep a 3 oz spice jar of the white, green and red paint on hand for quick touch-ups.
Batteries- I have a keypad entrance lock. It requires 4 AA batteries. I keep a fresh set on hand.
Insect spray - Yes I live in the south where all the bugs love us. We average about 3 cans per year.
Light Bulbs - I make sure that I keep extra energy efficient light bulbs on hand for the porch lights. I keep two extra bulbs on hand.
Cleaners - I use Pine-sol to mop my front porch weekly as well as windex on the front door and windows. I use a lint roller and Clorox wipes on the
cushions that I have on each seating area. I also use Scotch guard on my outdoor cushions monthly because of our high humidity and living
in a very damp area.
All of the above are gathered in a fabric storage bin and kept in the utility room marked "FRONT PORCH SUPPLIES". There is no digging, searching or running to the store when it's time to take care of this area.

Decor. - I have seasonal wreaths for my front door as well as seasonal entrance rugs,throw pillows and lightweight fleece throws for each season. I also like to do seasonal flowers and greenery in my window boxes. All non perishable items are kept in a Rubbermaid storage tote labeled "FRONT PORCH". I put a note in my calendar to change out the window boxes 4 times a year. Since the arrangements are real I cannot do that in advance.

I do spring, summer, fall & Christmas(winter). We go back to each area approximately 4 times for a deep clean. If you don't have the time or money to acquire everything you need now simply get what you need to maintain (clean) the area. Keep it together so that it's easily accessible.

Throughout this whole plan if you ask yourself this same question and prepare what is needed you'll find yourself saving tons of time and money overall. Keeping a WHOLE HOUSE PAR LIST is amazing.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:19 pm

ejango hello hello oh I like the you are looking at the "hidden factors" - I like that focus!

well done as well d nancy!

this last zone I was in the front hall - I only emptied the pie chest and drawers but what a difference! I do general work once a week but it was nice to focus.

Going to my least favourite zone - the bedrooms this week

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 pm

i dejunked a bit in our bedroom - I think I need to go through the drawers in that room.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 am

Ejango — your porch sounds so nice!

I was forced into the laundry room zone today.
Good to get that done bc the dryer will return to me tomorrow — I hope — in good (safe!) working order!
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 pm

wonderful d lucy! well done on your work. It is nice that you got to clean under there even though it wasn't expected... hey at least you know when the machine is returned and put in it will be clean underneath :D

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 pm

dusted bedroom only

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Thank you, blessed!
Plus, I got the master bath done yesterday — 2 weeks into the year and I’ve done focus vacuuming in 2 rooms! :)
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Cleaning Focus”