Aug. 2014 Reading / Media

A place for newcomer introductions, for our questions, polls and general discussion.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Aug. 2014 Reading / Media

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am

What are your Aug. Reading and media adventures?

indy

Re: Aug. 2014 Reading / Media

Postby indy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Unhappily learned on FB that one of the two programs I warch is to have its FINAL season this season and a plot line wh ich was only seemingly set up for this season is now in jeaopardy from some programming additions -- sad news but I'll watch to see how they play it out. The other program is also adding a great many things to the upcoming season which may or may not be pleasing to the overall story line but it's always full of twists so I'll see how they work these out. TV is such a wasteland when one only had the basic HD box and an ancient old TV rather than cable with its hundreds of channels of wasteland for which one pays way too much in my opinion. we can't do it and wouldn't use it anyway enough to make it worthwhile. I am currently reading three old books -- a book of Peter Marshall's prayers compiled and publishe in 1954 by his wife Catherine Marshall and a book about Paul -- segments on the Jew, his conversion, his apostleship and another which title I've lost and the third is a series of essays on childhood events by Sylvia Ashton Warner. I also have several Carol Shields books on hand and will pick up one of those as well. I always have a lot of books going at once. Just finished rereading Wuthering Heights and a couple of others very recently.

indy

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Indy What programs are those?
Saw a show I missed of Longmire. H. Is catching up on the Hell on wheels. Got books at yd. Sales today most were kids one a bio growing up harely-davidson by Jean Davisdon. One is on carb counting & meal planning, that will not work for me bc it it the diabetic exchange like weight watchers but the carb. Amounts are different. So I had to pitch it.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 pm

I am reading an old book, too! Herman Wouk, Don't Stop the Carnival. The first chapter or two was really REALLY slow, and I told dh last night, "If I can't get into this tonight, I am going to give it up and start something else." But then, it sorta got more interesting, so I'm still trying to read it. It was probably written in the early 60s. I got it from a library discard sale at school, I think, and I read Marjorie Morningstar and Youngblood Hawke by the same author when I was in high school... but for some reason this one just didn't grab me. A former teacher recommended it to me, actually, when I was in high school. It's about a man who is going to leave NYC and open a hotel in the tropics. I don't know how it's going to turn out... I mean, if I'm going to complete it or not, LOL!

I also never finished reading the biography of P.L. Travers (author of Mary Poppins). I need to get back into that...

AND I have the unfinished Joyce Meyer book on my nightstand: God's Not Mad at You.

I need to read BOOKS more and internet less... :oops:

Also have LOTS of articles I have torn out of magazines that I want to get to... keeping the articles in a basket by the bed, but I never seem to get around to them.
Tomorrow is another day.

indy

Postby indy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Nancy wrote:Indy What programs are those?
Saw a show I missed of Longmire. H. Is catching up on the Hell on wheels. Got books at yd. Sales today most were kids one a bio growing up harely-davidson by Jean Davisdon. One is on carb counting & meal planning, that will not work for me bc it it the diabetic exchange like weight watchers but the carb. Amounts are different. So I had to pitch it.

The one they may mess up the storyline is Parenthood -- NBC on Thursday nights. The other is sunday nights on ABC -- Once upon A Time -- fairytales and other tales all jumbled up between the story world and the real world -- I LOVE it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Indy I do not watch those.

I have been watching u tubes w info. On the wheel I have.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Indy, We watch "Parenthood," and I hope they don't mess up the story too much, too. :roll:

I read an e-book on balancing work-life, which said if you put more "life stuff" into the mix, it only adds more stress. His point was to de-stress, veg out in front of the TV or do a hobby, so your work-life balance has less stress, which makes it more balanced. The other author I read said that work-life isn't a balance because there is a battle-stress going on there, but it's to be integrated with a lot of prayer, and fun things to do, to have less stress. So it sounds like the balance comes in when you go with the "flow", have fun, do what you want to do and worry less about what you think you HAVE to do.

I read on a Debbie Macomber book today. There's one in the Rose Harbor series at Costco, called "Love Letters," which I'd love to have, but.... Several months ago, I received "Jane's Melody," by Ryan Winfield from B 'n' N, pre-ordered "Jane's Harmony." I only read 1 chapter of "Jane's Melody," and now the 2nd in the series is coming???? :o I want "Love Letters," because I know the characters, via the Rose Harbor series. I'd love to get the entire series, if Ms. Macomber writes more in the series, to keep UP with them all. I can't very well start the Cedar Cove series of books, by her, because there's so many of them, so I watch the series on the Hallmark Channel HD every Saturday at 8 p.m. It's up to DH if he buys "Love Letters," or not; if he does- he does; if he doesn't- he just didn't get it. I expect to get it, actually, because I've pulled in good $$ writing this month. If he gets it, I'll be VERY HAPPY! :P
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:04 pm

:D I pre-ordered Debbie Macomber's SIGNED COPY of "Love Letters," #3 in the Rose Harbor series this a.m. It'll be shipped on the 12th. :mrgreen:

We watched "Mountain Men," and "Ice Road Truckers," last night on cable. They were very good. :!: 8-)

This week, we'll watch "America's Got Talent," on NBC on Tues. and Wed. and also America's Ninja Warrior. It's a fun show.

We started watching Ice Lake Rebels, I believe is the name of the show. :?: It's about house-boaters in Alaska, where it freezes on the lake. They're off grid, too. It's quite interesting. :)

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:45 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: I realized that I today, found out I've got the #2 Rose Harbor Series book on my Nook, called ROSE HARBOR IN BLOOM, by Debbie Macomber. I'm swiftly reading it to the end because her #3 Rose Harbor Series book is shipped out on August 12.

Also, I've just begun "Body Clutter," by Marla Cilley, the FlyLady, and Leanne Ely, too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm

This mo. I am listening to a U - Tube video course by Carol Tuttle. Her website of my energy profile had a link. She has a few books out that I would like to read: Dressing Your Type, and It's Just My Nature. But have not found them in e-book form I think w mart has 'em not sure if my store has them or not however.

Got a couple of free Christian novels this week not much reading time now ever.
"Waiting for summer's return." By Kim Vogel Sawyer
And "Summer Of Promise" by Amanda Cabot.

A free cook book " A farmers Daughter recipes from a Menonite kitchen" .

Got I dare you by Joyce M. Will read as a devo but two are in Iine ahead of it! :roll: one is The Power of Being Positive also by Joyce M.

One kids book fancy Nancy Tea Parties was a fun find!
Still reading Virgin River by Robyn Carr. A romance novel. 1st third had no romance in it LOL!

Saw "Once Upon a Time" by Debbie Macomber putting that on my want to read list.

Return to “Across the Cafe Table”