Bucolic Balconies

A place to share garden and outdoor spaces plans and activities.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Bucolic Balconies

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Pictures after the new tiles were laid. Also put in a new deck box. Might not have been fully thinking on that, it is too big to get onto the balcony so we assembled it out there. We may regret this! On the other hand, it stores everything we want stored and then some!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Next challenge is either river rock or thin slices of astroturf to fill in the edges. And then some plants (that has to wait 3 weeks until the risk of frost is over.) And lighting.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Cushions to make the deck box double as seating? Turning the deck box on its side for a different configuration as a "deck closet" with interior shelf?

I really like that flooring. Good choice.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:39 pm

I like your tiles better than the other balcony ones. There's look like parquet flooring (at least in the picture) and that's old-fashioned. Yours are more modern looking. What are the tops of the tile made of?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Harmony: the others do look like parquet flooring. We all have parquet inside our units as well (after all, this is a late 1960's building with all the modern conveniences!) Luckily, the special units have their parquet stained dark. So our tiles match the inside more closely than the other ones.

Our tiles are wpc (wood-plastic composite.) No guarantee (unlike some products) but they should last at least 10 years with only mopping for maintenance. As opposed to the acacia wood tiles below us, which will need staining every few years.

Harriet The box is comfortable enough for short-term seating. Inside are 5 more chairs and the cushions for the rockers. It is flat on the top (our old one had a slight curve) so it can be used as a table as well.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:33 am

I like the tiles Kathryn. That storage box looks good too.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 am

It's looking great Kathryn!

Are you going to be able to get plants out there? Always a problem - they are expensive to buy whether real or fake.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:40 am

Twins: I have at least two indoor plants that are constantly propagating themselves - spider plants and purple heart plants. I'll put a subset of both outside for the summer but when the fall comes, I'll just let them die out there because I'm worried about bringing spider eggs and other bugs inside. So those plants will be free and I'll be able to grow new ones for the following year. The only cost will be potting soil.

I also have a tiny (12" high) norfolk pine that is barely hanging on. Not that the sun has come around, I see the needles are turning brown again so I'm guessing it is getting too much light. I'll put it in a shady corner on the balcony (there are lots of those!)

I'd like to try a mini herb garden on the dining balcony (chives, basil, oregano, for example.) It gets the most daylight and the previous tenant had plants out in the sunny corner (I could tell from the pot stains on the concrete.) I'm tempted to try a cherry tomato plant but am worried that I won't be around to water it in August so there isn't a point. I could move it to dd's but then she'll do the harvest not me, so there's really no point.

I'm tempted to spend $20 on a larger fir tree/bush of some sort. And another $20 - $30 on mixed flower arrangements in baskets (that I'd put on a stand.)

I need to find a cast-iron/aluminum stepped plant stand somewhere. The angel in the corner of the living balcony is a plant holder so she'll hold the purple heart since it is a hanging plant.

helia

Postby helia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:56 am

I think it is beautiful! Very inviting. I like the deck box a lot; practical but it also looks nice. What is it made of - wood? If you get the plants, can you share another photo? :)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:17 pm

The deck box is plastic as well, just looks like wood.

Yes, there will be more photos but we have to wait until after the danger of frost has past!

Return to “Outdoor Spaces and Gardens”