Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Share healthy living habits.
Harriet

Re: Health and Fitness, March, 2016

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:23 pm

I almost hate to "say it out loud", Harmony, but HRH has not had a gout attack since he started eating such a greater proportion of veggies (which goes along with your info). But you are right that uric acid leading to gout is one big worry if he eats too much protein (I should say, animal protein). Another worry is that the high-veg/lower protein diet is the method that has controlled his blood sugar, so he doesn't want to mess that up.

Also he is without a gall-bladder, so to be free of digestive distress, he needs to be cautious about animal products in his diet. The problem is the triggering of bile production with no storage place (gall-bladder) so the bile hits the lower digestive system too fast, causing distress. Many people say any-and-all fat causes digestive troubles after gall-bladder removal, but HRH finds animal fats to be way worse, and coconut oil, for instance, to be no problem at all. I imagine he'd say the same for olive oil. For his supper today, he had two slices of turkey (his only animal product all day) and potatoes, with other veggies. The potatoes especially are a helpful food for him, and somehow the starch eases the reaction to bile.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Glad to read HRH is doing better. Interesting that his results mirror what my book said.

I am tracking more than I wanted to. but I sit down every evening and write it all down and work up the numbers. I am doing ok and have a few revelations. If I have too few calories during the day, that's when I get bingey in the evening. You'd think I'd have figured that out a long time ago. But I was surprised to find how low my calories actually were, not just low enough for a small snack, but enough for the snack and another whole meal. 700 calories all day long is not enough.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Did some ex bike time and took a walk w ddog today.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Home. It is a new month. I'll start tracking again. Tomorrow.

The three year old next to me on the plane lectured me about the cheezies I had for lunch. Agreed it was a big bag but it was only one serving inside the bag. What she saw, and chose to ignore, were the carrots, celery, peanut butter, apples, cheese, peanuts and grapes I had before having the Baked Cheetos. And the water with which I washed down my lunch. I thought, given I was on a plane, I did very well (I had picked up two snack packs from Walmart the day before for a total of $5 and was thrilled because it meant I could fly with them.)

Things are tough when three year old strangers lecture you on your food choices. And my reaction was interesting. When I got home, I had two handfuls of jelly beans.

So tomorrow I'll weigh myself and start over. It will be interesting to see how my weight did.

I kept up fairly well with motion and didn't snack much so it might actually be down. I added dry roasted peanuts to my diet and have been eating handful after handful for 7 days now, yet the container is still half full (I just weighed it.) That averages out to just over 1 oz per day. I could tell I wasn't eating too many because it was a clear jar so I could estimate my consumption. For the calorie count, the payoff in satiation is huge. I actually googled the nutrition on dry roasted peanuts since the jar seemed to be too low in calories or too high in protein but the label was correct.

On the other hand, my milk consumption was almost nil while gone (I hate UHT milk). I probably had 16 oz over the week when you count the amount in my tea plus two days with the bare minimum on my muesli. Without milk, that saves me 220 calories a day. I also didn't have yogurt for half the time so that cuts another 100 calories a day for those days. On the other hand, I did have at least one oz of cheese a day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:08 am

Weighed myself this morning. Was expecting to be within 1 pound. Was up more than I gained over Christmas!

Seriously, over Christmas I could tell you exactly what I ate to gain that weight (I held back from very little and particularly went to town over the carbs, focusing on just getting in a certain amount of protein but not a percentage.)

I can't believe it was the nuts because their calories were less than the missing milk from my diet. And I seriously didn't think I ate large meals (I brought home half my dinner twice and had it for another dinner so was only eating until I felt full and then stopping.) I was also drinking my water every day, plus some (was so thirsty from the heat.)

A couple of pounds of it might be the flights but they are good for only 2lbs usually. So that leaves a 2 - 3 pound gain over 10 days. Pretty scary.

It did spur me onto the treadmill this morning for 30 minutes so that's a positive. And treadmill means I start the day with a quart of water as well, another positive.

May not have the ingredients for a high protein breakfast. Will check into what is in the freezer.

But first, I'll open up the MFP tracker for today.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:44 am

Ex bike & gardening were my ex opportunities yesterday.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Back from my walk today ddog wanted to go we got back just before it started to rain. Love that timing! I have been ever so slowly adding a bit of distance ! And today I focused on increasing my stride length so that is good. Plus I did 20 kin. On ex bike and played fetch with ddog for 10 min.
Roll and chili was lunch and snack some califlower sp? Peanuts and su flower seeds. Fish or burrito for dinner. Burritto it was.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:21 pm

This is really tough. I can't seem to get out of the 150's. I had one bad day of eating, but my bad day wasn't even high calorie, it was just high in fats. So I don't know. I can see the trend of the scale trying to get down, but this weighing every day shows the daily up and down. It's been a while and should have shown a bigger trend down. And it doesn't help that I'm still not feeling well, all this time. My test strip for uti was inconclusive as the 2 things they test came out with the result that said to test again. I haven't done that yet, but will any time now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:22 pm

3-year-olds' vocabulary and knowledge are just a product of what their influential adults are discussing. Nevertheless, I laughed out loud! :lol: Oh, my stars, how unexpected - it's like a hijacking of the conversation and it's not as if you can leave the room! :shock: Kathryn, I'm so glad her parents are into nutrition and not something you REALLY didn't want to hear about. And remember, we are discouraged from eating some snacks that she is probably forbidden to eat, so her life is about a decade and a half away from even our level of "fair". And ours isn't fair!

You'll be back down in no time. Let life settle and see how it looks then.

Harmony, I'm so glad to hear you're not in a full-blown UTI, even though I know it must bug you that you don't get the all clear. It's great you're in the 150s, really, but even more so that you are staying in the 150s. It's that staying business, that's the hard part.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:17 pm

When she asked me if I ate all the cheezies, I had thought she was angling for some, so it came as a shock that I was being chastised for my gluttony. Of course, the dang kid was right, the scales prove it!

Hopefully, the salt from the cheezies (not the ones I had on the plane which really were just one serving, but the 5 servings I had instead of lunch the day before) and the dehydration from the plane will drop weight quickly and make me feel better about myself. I'm still very surprised at the gain, they tell you not to look at the scales but at how things fit and I'll say my jeans still fit a bit loose as they did when I left. The scale now puts me up a middle number, something I had not wanted at all.

On the plus side, it makes record keeping and stepping on the treadmill each day for some amount of time, the two parts of the system I'm working in order to regain health. Getting to 11K steps so far today has been easy.

Return to “Healthy Habits”